Menu

Killgallon Paragraph, Advanced 3rd Grader

Crimson Wife

LA is my DD's strong suit and she is currently working through her 2nd Killgallon book, Grammar for Middle School. The assignment was to take a model sentence from literature (underlined below) and use it as the jumping-off point for a creative writing paragraph. The guideline was to use opening adjectives in the sentences (the alliteration and alphabetical adjectives were DD's ideas).

Deep in the forest, there was a green lawn, and on the lawn stood a miserable little hut on hen's legs, where lived Baba-Yaga, and old witch grandmother. Atrocious in her appetite for small children, she was very ugly and walked with a limp. Bitter and belligerant [sic], Baba-Yaga could have easily been the most base hag in all of Russia. Cantankerously cackling, she would lure unsuspecting children into her house with delicious treats, then capture them and devour them with dastardly delight.

DD has completed Story Grammar for Elementary School and also MCT's "town" level.

She started this assignment by brainstorming adjectives to describe Baba-Yaga. At first, she was listing weak ones (bad, mean, etc.) so I encouraged her to think of more colorful words. That's when she came up with atrocious, belligerent, cantankerous, dastardly, etc. She then decided to use alliteration and put the adjectives in alphabetical order.

This is great!

Side question...is Grammar for Middle School really more writing based than grammar? I'm liking Kilgallon's Sentence Composing and wondering if they have something after that that's more for paragraph writing.

Nope, it's mostly sentence-writing with a few paragraph writing exercises sprinkled in.

Can I ask what helped you the most to 'grow' her vocabulary like that?

Mostly through reading and listening to DH and I talk. She has always been extremely verbal and loves language- probably why she loves MCT and Killgallon so much. In terms of formal vocab study, she is working her way through MCT's Caesar's English series (just started book 2 a few weeks ago) and the Red Hot Root Words workbook from Prufrock Press.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I checked Amazon for Red Hot Root Book 1 and found out that Book 2 covers all the words in Book 1. So is it better just to get Book 2? I also saw Roots on the Vine which gets very good reviews. What say you, Crimson Wife and the poster about mine?

By the way, I am still looking for Sentence Composing for Elementary School used just to save some money. Do you have any ideas where to find it used? I really don't want to shell out even more money than I already did, and since this is supplement, I would like to get it cheap.

It was probably my review you saw on Amazon noting that all the roots in Vol. 1 are repeated in Vol. 2. Had I known this, I would've just gotten Vol. 2.

I'm not familiar with Roots on the Vine, sorry!

The Killgallon books are designed as consumables, which is probably why you're having difficulty locating a used copy. I guess the best thing to do is to keep an eye out on the various swap boards.

It was probably my review you saw on Amazon noting that all the roots in Vol. 1 are repeated in Vol. 2. Had I known this, I would've just gotten Vol. 2.

I'm not familiar with Roots on the Vine, sorry!

The Killgallon books are designed as consumables, which is probably why you're having difficulty locating a used copy. I guess the best thing to do is to keep an eye out on the various swap boards.

Thank you very much. I will place an order soon, before I finish my WWE 2 with ds, so I can just do this for a while before going to WWE 3.