Menu

Contemplating 8th grade math mayhem, talk me down

I am agonizing about what we will be doing for 8th grade. We have been doing Math U See for quite some time and are working our way through MUS pre algebra this year.

The thing is, I don't feel that dd has fully grasped these concepts. She manages to squeak through each week, but it always seems like a struggle, always that bit of hesitation before giving the answer.

Rather than automatically move on to MUS Geometry for 8th grade, I am considering taking all of our topics and review pages from the last 2 or 3 years and spending all of 8th grade reviewing everything that she "should" know well by now.

Is this crazy? Will geometry, algebra 1 and algebra 2 plus another math during high school keep her from ever getting accepted into college? Am I ruining her young life?????

She is not very interested in math and at this point is planning to pursue a career in graphic design and art.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

If you don't feel that's she's solid on her pre-algebra concepts, it is a good idea to take another year to work on them. It might be time to transition to another program, though. For pre-algebra I'd look at Lial's Basic College Math, Saxon, or BJU's Fundamentals of Math.

http://www.bjupress.com/product/218933

Just because it's the latest fad for kids to be doing Algebra in 8th grade doesn't necessarily means it's the best decision for everyone. Plenty of kids now and in the past have taken Algebra I in 9th grade and are college bound. Take the extra year to firm her up on the basic concepts, particularly fractions, decimals, and proportions.

ETA: Typically the sequence of high school math is: Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus.

Our school district just finally streamlined their math sequence. Up till now, 2 of the feeder schools were paced for 9th graders "on grade level" to take algebra while the rest of the schools had 8th graders taking it. It must still be common for 9th grade to be the typical year for algebra in some areas - I wouldn't sweat it! DD has friends taking algebra in 9th and they are lovely, smart girls.

So many parents here have said that Lial's basic college math really helped their students solidify the pre-algebra concepts. I'd definitely look into something like that.

MUS Pre-Algebra seems different to me than other pre-algebra programs. I wish I could remember why I think that way, but I didn't get the feeling it was a typical pre-algebra course even while we were doing it. After we finished it, dd moved on to Foerster's Algebra 1 and did well, but when we returned to algebra for algebra 2 I realized she retained nothing. I wonder if a very throrough, well-rounded pre-algebra course would have provided a better foundation.

I would really consider picking up another pre-algebra program that you could get at the library or buy inexpensively, like Lial's Basic College Math, to make sure she has a solid foundation for algebra. I think this might be preferable to sticking with MUS materials for review. :001_smile:

MUS Pre-Algebra seems different to me than other pre-algebra programs. I wish I could remember why I think that way, but I didn't get the feeling it was a typical pre-algebra course even while we were doing it. After we finished it, dd moved on to Foerster's Algebra 1 and did well, but when we returned to algebra for algebra 2 I realized she retained nothing. I wonder if a very throrough, well-rounded pre-algebra course would have provided a better foundation.

I would really consider picking up another pre-algebra program that you could get at the library or buy inexpensively, like Lial's Basic College Math, to make sure she has a solid foundation for algebra. I think this might be preferable to sticking with MUS materials for review. :001_smile:

I agree. MUS's pre-algebra doesn't seem to be a true pre-algebra. It mostly consists of topics that weren't covered in previous years (that other curriculums DO cover in those earlier years prior to moving onto pre-algebra).

Lial's BCM sounds like it might be a good choice in your situation. It would allow her to strengthen any weak spots as well as prepare for Algebra I.

1) If she's squeaking through, I'd spend 8th grade reviewing pre-algebra to get it actually solid. It'd be much better to have her having algebra 1, 2, and geometry with As or Bs than algebra 2, geometry, and precalculus with Cs and Ds across the board and weak retention.

2) There's no way you should do geometry before algebra in any case.

3) I wouldn't review using the same program -- I'd shift to something else for a different perspective. BCM is one good choice.

We've done MUS up to this point and my oldest is in line to do pre-algebra next year. If it covers things he hasn't gotten to yet, should I go ahead and have him do MUS pre-algebra next year and then move to another year of pre-algebra with something else or transition to a different program now? Ack. I thought I had that at least settled.

We've done MUS up to this point and my oldest is in line to do pre-algebra next year. If it covers things he hasn't gotten to yet, should I go ahead and have him do MUS pre-algebra next year and then move to another year of pre-algebra with something else or transition to a different program now? Ack. I thought I had that at least settled.

That might be what you need to do.:glare: But before you do I'd compare what all is covered in MUS pre-algebra and what is covered in a regular pre-algebra text.

I had my dd on track to do Algebra 1 in 8th grade, and I realized that if she doesn't love math or want to pursue a math related career, she really doesn't need Algebra 1 until high school. I have a math degree and didn't take Algebra 1 until 9th grade. IMHO, only the brightest math students and those wanting mathematical careers should be doing that type of sequence.

Dd is a student who can make good grades in math, but she doesn't naturally retain it. She has needed little helps and reminders the whole way. I wanted to spend this year getting her past that. Here is what she is doing this year.

CLE Math 8

LoF Fractions, Decimals & Percents, and Pre-Algebra 1 with Biology.

CLE has really helped her tremendously. I did test her to make sure I could place her in that level, though. She is remembering the processes much better now. I had used a mastery approach all along, and looking back, she really needed a spiral approach instead.

LoF has been fun for her. She reads ahead just to find out what happens. I read some of her book aloud that the table the other night, and we were laughing so hard we were about to cry!

I hope you can make a decision you are happy with.