Menu

Need resources for teaching my 5 yo DS how to make clothes

My 5 yo son (will be 6 this summer) has an abiding interest in sewing and clothing design. He has already learned to sew by hand, and is reasonably proficient at it, and has been begging me to help him make a skirt or dress. I have ZERO idea how to do this. Zero. I do have a basic sewing machine, which I use for scrapbooking, so this can be our starting machine. He wants to design his own clothing and has drawn up a number of sketches. I need advice on where to start, and how to help him. I want to take him to Joann this weekend to pick out some inexpensive fabric, but don't know if I should encourage him to use a pattern (I have no idea how to read a pattern LOL). I really want to help him, as this is something he's talked about for quite a long time, and I feel he's probably old enough to begin (with my help, such as it is!)

Help!

I would use a pattern unless he wants to make an apron. The shape of the sleeve holes is just not intuitive to most people.

Simplicity makes the easiest to follow patterns, followed by McCall. Best of all would be a "One-Hour" pattern. 5 is really young to start making clothes. His expectations may be quite a bit higher than what he can actually do.

(My ds took apart the bobbin mechanism on my machine at about that age and it was never the same. Even after I got it serviced, the tension just isn't right no matter what I set it at.)

At that age, my son was very interested in the history of clothes making - how we "get" our clothes today versus other points in time.

We went to the fabric store and he selected a simple pajama pattern, which we then made together. I did pick a pattern w/o buttons as I can.not. figure out how to do buttons.

I would think you could do a button-less vest fairly easily, as well.

My dd12 sews many of her own clothes. She refuses to use a pattern. She started by altering t-shirts, using the Generation T books as a guide. She also gets ideas of what she wants to make, measures herself, and sews the garments. Her garments look, shall we say, "rustic". That is, they do not look "perfect" in any way. However, she is very happy with them. She has learned, over the years, that it is worth doing an edge finish so the edge doesn't fray, and so on, by doing it "wrong" and seeing the results for herself. She is not interested in having me "teach" her, despite the fact that I do know how to sew. She wants to do it herself, her way, and she is happy with the results she gets. So I guess what I'm saying is, talk to your son about what he wants and what he is expecting, and follow his lead. He may be more likely to stick with it in the long run this way.

All that said, I would start with some sewing books from the library, and/or some videos or tutorials from the internet. Patterns are useful, but it is more empowering to make your own. Google "twirl skirt tutorial", "circle skirt tutorial", "wrap skirt tutorial", and so on to get ideas.

I suggest starting by making a skirt for a doll or stuffed animal. NOT Barbie, because she is too tiny - it is very hard to make Barbie clothes! A doll or bear or animal the size of an AG doll is perfect. Making a skirt for an AG doll is exactly the same as making a skirt for a child, just smaller. You can get to see how the whole thing works, and you can try different styles (circle skirt, straight skirt, etc.) and see how the different shapes of the pattern pieces make the different shapes of the skirt. Use paper towels or a brown paper bag to create your pattern. (Paper towels can be draped on the doll, but a paper bag is sturdier.) Dolls also take very little fabric, so you can upcycle thrifted or outgrown clothing, which can be fun if you use the embellishments already there. After two or three skirts for dolls, you will both be ready to make fabulous skirts for yourselves!

Joann's Fabrics offers sewing classes for kids. They are good and the price is very reasonable. He would probably enjoy making the projects! You can see the list of offered classes on the individual store's website by linking from the main website:

http://www.joann.com/joann/home/home.jsp;jsessionid=3852309A8A5A5E02E8CB7EDB7D8C24B7.a6p1?topnavlink=true

The girls have taken some of their classes and we've always been impressed with the instructors.

4-H also has a sewing course. You don't have to be a 4-H member to get the course booklets. You can see them (the sewing ones) at:

http://www.4-hmall.org/Category/4-hcurriculum-sewing.aspx