Menu

Great day, thanks to SWB and JW!

nukeswife

We'd been feeling really lost in our homeschooling. At xmas time dh and I re-evaluated and decided the fall was a bust and we'd start the year over in Jan. We did that and it was going ok, but we have quickly been falling into the same rut we'd had in the fall, and I didn't want to end up feeling the kids had learned nothing 3 months from now. So in an effort to nip it in the bud, I sat down and rethought my curriculum choices. After doing that I talked again with dh, he's the type to leave the curriculum choices up to me, but is a great sounding board for me. He asked to see what things I thought would work and why I thought that and then after listening to me said to go for it. So I pulled out WWE that I had on hand and we've been doing that this week, yesterday my FLL 1, 2 and 3 arrived and we started that today, as well as going back to SOTW 3 with activity guide. We had such a great day. The kids said they loved SOTW, FLL and WWE. After doing his first dictation in WWE and doing an amazing job my oldest son yelled "I love homeschooling! Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer are AWESOME!" I know it's just the beginning, but their enthusiasm was through the roof, and it was so great to see it.

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

I'm really impressed w/ your DH!!!

He is truly my best friend. He's in the Navy so he's gone quite often due to deployments but he's always willing to listen and then give me his honest opinion on what I've thrown out there. He's also totally plugged in when he is home and will even ask me to hold lessons in history and science until late evening or weekends so he can teach them.

I'll join in the love fest.:grouphug: We recently started WWE, FLL1, SOTW1/AG and my girls really like them. I just ordered the Telling God's Story set, too. I think I've reached PHP Groupie status.:001_smile:

Will you PLEASE post your experiences with Telling God's Story?! I am very interested in it, but want to see it in person first and/or hear others' experiences with it. :001_smile:

We are doing FLL, WWE and SOTW, as well, and I :001_wub: them all. My kids like them, and they keep the HS day flowing.

We have recently switched DD5 to PR, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to go past the first year, simply because I love the PHP stuff so much and have had such success that I don't know if I want to give them up.

• 2 weeks later...
Will you PLEASE post your experiences with Telling God's Story?! I am very interested in it, but want to see it in person first and/or hear others' experiences with it. :001_smile:

We have it too. We have not started it with our children, but will be using it with a 6 and 8yo in just a few weeks. I have went over the parent's companion, and it was a light read, though packed full of treasures. There were quite a few things that sparked me, and now I want to explore further on my own, digging deeper into His Word.

Regarding the stories, they are nothing I've ever read to my children. I have never truly loved anything we have used, though we liked it and felt it sufficient. The way different scenarios are explained are right in line with my visual-ness. He takes concepts that are a little abstract and puts them into concrete language for children to understand. Brilliant! The AG is wonderful and very SOTW-ish, though only contains activities and a few sheets, a coloring page for each lessons. There are even some recipies sprinkled throughout, which our family adores. The coloring pages are top-notch, and the girls have perused them and wanted them now. The activities, while some are a little cheesy, at least 1 activity per week I found to enhance the study, not just add something irritating to sit around. We won't use all, but I'm certain they never intended to use them all.

I scheduled it out for 3-4 days a week, and on the off days, we'll read out of the Bible, probably Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. I am so excited to get started, being able to present WHO Jesus is to the girls, not just a set of rules or something that can later be shrugged off as irrelevant in later years, a solid grounding.

Even though it's my first year homeschooling, I feel like i LOVE FLL, WWE, and SOTW. They do keep the day moving along nicely. It's dependable and predictable in the sense that it is good structure for the kids. I"m very thankful for these tools, and for TWTM in general! I was reading through parts of it today while I ordered some books for next year.