Menu

How do I explain homeschooling to a 4 year old?

kristinannie

My oldest will start HSing in July. Right now he is in a private Christian preschool. He loves school and his friends (although only one of his friends would even go to his elementary school since the preschool is in a neighboring town). I have talked to him about how we are going to do school at home next year. He loves doing school with me. On days when he is sick (contagious, but not really sick) or on snow days, he says, "Who cares, we can just do school at home again." However, today he asked me, "Mommy, why can't I go to real school with all of my friends?" I really didn't know what to say. I explained that we are going to do it at home and that we are going to be able to do what he enjoys (like astronomy, hands on math, extra art, etc). I felt really bad when I saw his face.

I feel strongly about homeschooling. God has led me to this decision and I know he can get a better education at home than in our overcrowded (but nationally well ranking) school system. I know that once we start for real, he will be OK with it. He will still see his friends and is in outside activities. Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

I remember having the same thoughts years ago when my dd was 4 or 5. She was in a preschool-two days a week. The other days I would do things with her at home - crafty stuff, trips to the library, fun worksheets for bible and whatever else I came across. I joined a local homeschool group that was quite large and we always had field trips, co-ops and park days. She quickly forgot about traditional school. Homeschooling is our way of life and we have always had plenty to do. She adapted so well and never asked to be in traditional school or why she couldn't go. I have been blessed by God and you will too. Homeschool has so much to offer kids and families it can become overwelming trying to figure out what you want to do or have time for. I feel it is very beneficial to be a part of a good homeschool group so that children know they are not the only ones on the planet being schooled at home. They will also benefit greatly in the friendships that they make.:)

I just tell my daughter that she gets to stay home and do school with mommy. She is in a Montessori school at the moment. I tell her we can still see her friends from school if she wants but that she won't be at school with them next year. So far she's fine with it. I'm not sure if that will change come fall when she doesn't get to go to school.

We had a bigger issue with the school bus. It took a while to get her to understand that she wouldn't be taking a bus to school. Once I got over that hurdle at the beginning of the year she seemed open to anything. lol

We went through similar stuff, although my son never really knew what "real" school was, but when we would drive by the playgrounds and such, he was a little concerned. At the beginning of this year, every time we'd drive by my nephew's school, I'd say, What's "Johnny" doing right now? School. What are we doing right now? Going out to lunch, going to the park, going on a field trip, etc. The whole going to school thing wore off real quick.

I would probably explain that because he and his friends are going into Kindergarten, they'll all be going to new schools next year, and his happens to be homeschool. I would also emphasize some of the differences between preschool and K (assuming that he gets lots of playtime preschool and wouldn't get as much in K). I would remind him how much fun he has when he does school with you, and I would remind him that he'll see his friends at activities.

My DS went to preschool and loved it. He was a moderatly disappointed about not going to school.

He had one friend that he especially played with and we have made sure we have kept in contact. We have not seen him as much as we would like, but they have been able to continue their friendship. (They would not have gone to the same school anyway, and we explained that.)

Another thing that really helped my son was emphasizing play time. School takes alot of time when you go to school, and there is not very much playtime in K, but at home, school is short, you can take breaks and you have more playtime.

We have joined a homeschool co-op and he is having a blast. We just started, so no new friendships yet, but he loves it.

While my DS doesn't love school more than playing, and he never asks to do school, he has said he wants to always homeschool.

It is hard, but it will probably work out easier than you imagine.

I also second the suggestion to get involved with a homeschool group. We have been since my DD was three. Her HS friends range in age from three to 14 and she sees that schooling option as a positive one.

The little girl next door went to K this year. I think DD started to realize how lucky she is when every time she asked if they could play I had to tell her that neighbor girl was still in school.

Good luck,

Pam

I worried about this with my kids too....they hadn't gone to preschool, but we live 3 blocks from our public school and every bus in town drives past our kitchen window while we're eating breakfast. (They REALLY wanted to ride on a bus!)

But it ended up not being a big deal. When they are that little, just grab them up and cuddle them and tell them how excited you are to be home with them all day and how much fun you're going to have at school. I always made a point to tell them homeschool IS real school, just as much as public...those kids just have to leave their moms ALL DAY LONG ;)

My oldest will start HSing in July. Right now he is in a private Christian preschool. He loves school and his friends (although only one of his friends would even go to his elementary school since the preschool is in a neighboring town). I have talked to him about how we are going to do school at home next year. He loves doing school with me. On days when he is sick (contagious, but not really sick) or on snow days, he says, "Who cares, we can just do school at home again." However, today he asked me, "Mommy, why can't I go to real school with all of my friends?" I really didn't know what to say. I explained that we are going to do it at home and that we are going to be able to do what he enjoys (like astronomy, hands on math, extra art, etc). I felt really bad when I saw his face.

I feel strongly about homeschooling. God has led me to this decision and I know he can get a better education at home than in our overcrowded (but nationally well ranking) school system. I know that once we start for real, he will be OK with it. He will still see his friends and is in outside activities. Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

I enroll my kids in enrichment classes and they're in a homeschool group. That gets it out of their system! lol. You could do a co-op one day a week...or Classical Conversations...something like that. Do you know any homeschool families that you could get together with and co-op some workshop classes once a month? We homeschool with another family once a week and split up enrichment classes. She teaches geography and I teach science. We do projects and stuff with them. The kids love it.

Transitioning is always hard. You two will get going and never look back. I think everybody goes through it.

I enroll my kids in enrichment classes and they're in a homeschool group. That gets it out of their system! lol. You could do a co-op one day a week...or Classical Conversations...something like that. Do you know any homeschool families that you could get together with and co-op some workshop classes once a month? We homeschool with another family once a week and split up enrichment classes. She teaches geography and I teach science. We do projects and stuff with them. The kids love it.

Transitioning is always hard. You two will get going and never look back. I think everybody goes through it.

I am trying really hard to meet some homeschoolers in my area, but am not really finding it too easy! I live in a smaller city. I think it would be great to know some other homeschoolers!

I worried about this with my kids too....they hadn't gone to preschool, but we live 3 blocks from our public school and every bus in town drives past our kitchen window while we're eating breakfast. (They REALLY wanted to ride on a bus!)

But it ended up not being a big deal. When they are that little, just grab them up and cuddle them and tell them how excited you are to be home with them all day and how much fun you're going to have at school. I always made a point to tell them homeschool IS real school, just as much as public...those kids just have to leave their moms ALL DAY LONG ;)

This cracked me up. I seriously think my son just wants to go to school to ride the bus. He has been looking forward to that for years. Of course, I remember riding the bus when I was a kid and mostly it was just a way to bully kids and put gum in people's hair. Not exactly fond memories! :tongue_smilie: