Menu

Secular History

parias1126

I would love a secular history program because I have slacked so much in this department. I tried SOTW 1 with both my children and neither of them liked it. We even have the CDs for the car and they beg me to turn it off because they say his voice is creepy. :001_huh:

What else is there for early elementary that is secular?

What else is there for early elementary that is secular?

The middle school stuff is mostly UK history, but the elementary course starts with ancient history. This is for age 7 and up.

If you are in the US, you can get Galore Park from horriblebooks.com or (shipped for free) from bookdepository.co.uk

Laura

I would not call either of these a curriculum but they might help you anyway.

1. The Complete Book of World History

2. The Oxford Children's History of the World

Also, History Odyssey is secular but uses SOTW. You could get the History Odyssey ebook and skip the SOTW part of their lessons, and substitute other materials for each lesson but use it as an outline. The ebook has maps that can be printed for map work.

Intellego would be great for a family that enjoys sitting at their computer, as it is a lot of links. Some of their courses are worth it, but I found one that was a dud. I'd be interested to see how people have used it for history and if they enjoyed it. I know some will like it, but some won't no matter what, based on the fact that is it very Internet-based.

Intellego would be great for a family that enjoys sitting at their computer, as it is a lot of links. Some of their courses are worth it, but I found one that was a dud. I'd be interested to see how people have used it for history and if they enjoyed it. I know some will like it, but some won't no matter what, based on the fact that is it very Internet-based.

I know this is probably OT...but which one was a dud?

We're currently working out of k12's Human Odyssey text (their world history middle school program). It doesn't line up with the 4 year rotation, but I figure I can combine it with Hakim's History of the US and cover what we need to do.

I'd also like to know which Intellego program you found to be a dud and which ones you consider worth it. :) I'm looking at the middle school level as I'm preparing for 6th grade next year.

ETA: sorry, missed that it was for elementary. I'd still love to hear about the experiences with Intellego <G>.

You might check out CHOW (Child's History of the World) by Hillyer. Calvert School uses and sells this with nice supporting materials. Mine particularly enjoyed the interactive CD to go along with the book.

http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/why-calvert/homeschool-enrichments/history-courses/a-childs-history-of-the-world

http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/why-calvert/homeschool-enrichments/interactive-enrichments/a-childs-history-of-the-world-online-program

Edited by 2cents