Menu

Does anyone here follow The Latin Centered Curriculum ?

TracyR

Just curious . I had gotten the catalog from Memoria Press today and this looked interesting .

Any one out here using this for their homeschool ? Any thoughts on the curriculum ? Is this worth me purchasing ? They have a new revised version and thought of getting it to read .

I love it! I'm new to hsing (my oldest is 6), but I think I'm leaning more and more towards LCC. Simplicity is beautiful, you know? Every time I read the book I come out with something new, or just a reminder that less is more. I'm excited about the revised version. Just in case you didn't know, Mr. Campbell posts on here quite often as Plaid Dad. Several others on the board follow LCC also, so I'm sure they'll jump in here.

Just curious . I had gotten the catalog from Memoria Press today and this looked interesting .

Any one out here using this for their homeschool ? Any thoughts on the curriculum ? Is this worth me purchasing ? They have a new revised version and thought of getting it to read .

It's definitely worth studying if you're interested in classical education at all. Drew's a great writer and his explanation of the origins and evolution of classical education is my favorite -- this coming from a history of education buff.

As for purchasing, I refer back to the schedules and practical how-to's on a quarterly basis, at least. Any time I'm overwhelmed or unsure of where to go with something, back to LCC I go and it sets me straight, whereas Charlotte Mason made me wonder if I should spend the curriculum $$ on hiring a maid and buying a country estate, and Well-Trained Mind I began to refer to as the Well-Drained Mom. Every time I come upon a crossroads in our childrens' education, I find that LCC points out a simple and practical, yet rich and rigorous, direction.

Several families who frequent these forums use LCC. My family was inspired by it, but we don't follow it to a T. Had we not come in during the middle, though, we would be following it more closely.

We follow it fairly closely. Really, to me it is worth it just for the concepts, even if you do not follow the laid out curriculum, the ideas presented are well worth the time to read, and have relieved a lot of stress for me as a far as the whole "getting it all done" problem. I had the original version - sold it a few weeks ago and have already preordered the revised. Anyone who feels overwhelmed with trying to accomplish everything should read the first 3 chapters of this book atleast!

We Love LCC!

I finally found a method that says it's okay to concentrate on the basics: Latin, maths, English( progymnastama & Litrerature) and copywork/recitation. Within these 4 areas of study, we incorporate literature, classical studies, grammar, vocabulary, history, geography, science, and religion.

When we study the weekly Parsha, we also study other ancient civilizations that interacted with Ancient Israel. And, during classical study time while studying Ancient Greece & Rome, we also touch on the sciences (biology, astronomy & physics), mathematics (geometry), philosophy, literature, and great men & woman. We learn & study English grammar, vocabulary, and literature via Latin. While working through Classical Writing or CCCT, we read Aesop, Greek myths, Fairy tales, or work on spelling, vocabulary, and grammar usage. Copywork/Recitation consists of memory work, spelling again, poetry, quotes, sentence & paragraph structure.

LCC simplified our school days, and reduced our annual hs'ing expenditures.

I no longer worry about art application or appreciation, or logic programs, or spelling programs, or vocabulary programs. I no longer think how we're going to get through a bookshelf of books. I pick a few choice titles to read & analyze & leave the others on the shelves for free reading. I no longer feel the need to rush through history, as we're able to take our time. I'm not concerned about formal science before high school. If the dc wish to dabble in a science field or topic, they're more than welcome to do so on their own time. I don't adhere to LCC as written; however, the book provided an outline of how to create a learning environment by dc thrive in, and welcome without complaint.

We get up, work hard for 4 hours, and take it easy the rest of the day with a more Waldorfish afternoon.

I can't wait until my LCC, 2nd edition arrives.

A big "Me Too!" here. We follow the philosophy, but with our own kind of implementation. The book is an easy read, and is chock full of information. If you've ever read "Climbing Parnassus," the LCC will show you how to make that vision of education a reality.

I think it's most definitely worth buying. As others have said, the philosophy is very freeing, without sacrificing quality.

I still use many WTM ideas and recommendations; however, my definition of classical education is much closer to Tracy Simmons' than SWB's, and LCC fits that definition better.

I am anxiously awaiting the new edition. Reading the original was like a lightbulb moment for me. I was beginning to get scattered with trying to persue so many things, I hate to think the mess i would be in by now!

We do not follow it to a T, but we are definitely latin centered and less IS more at our house.

Any time I'm overwhelmed or unsure of where to go with something, back to LCC I go and it sets me straight, whereas Charlotte Mason made me wonder if I should spend the curriculum $$ on hiring a maid and buying a country estate, and Well-Trained Mind I began to refer to as the Well-Drained Mom.

Esp. the "Well-Drained Mom." :banghead:

LCC is the closest to what actually goes on around here.

I haven't put in my order yet for the new one. Woops, I really need to get on the ball with that. I can't wait!

I really, really want to comment on the unfairness of some people getting to look at an advance copy, but I'm trying to be a big person. Now if you don't mind, I'm just going to go sulk.

I really, really want to comment on the unfairness of some people getting to look at an advance copy, but I'm trying to be a big person. Now if you don't mind, I'm just going to go sulk.

LOL, Gail. I feel your pain. And stalking the blog of the person with an advance copy to see if they post any revealing changes to their curriculum totally didn't provide any clues at all.