Menu

Share with me what you do with a 10 month old while you need to...

get school and other things done? My ds10months has been a wonderfully easy baby and still is, but he is much more aware and does not like to be left to play like he once did. I let him crawl around outside of his playgate area, but can't do anything else because of safety and watching and playing with him. He doesn't really care for his entertainers (exersaucer)/walkers for very long. He naps twice a day still, but his afternoon nap is the best and most consistent one time-wise, but that's at 3pm and doesn't leave much time for me to clean, do school work with big kids, exercise and prepare dinner when hubby gets home around 5. Right not, I'm getting it done, but it just doesn't seem smooth and structured and successful and it doesn't always get done. What types of toys/equipment do you have that you can't live without? I do have him sit with me when we do our school work and think that is important in training him, but a lot of times I need to move around and get things done. I have a moby wrap and am thinking about getting an ergo, but I find it difficult to get things done while wearing him. What do you all do in this situation?

:grouphug::grouphug: I know how hard this is. My DS just turned 1, but the last few months it has been challenging to keep him entertained. And then the mama guilt!! Oy!

I have to be willing to stop whatever I am doing with my older son to sort of "rotate" the spot of the baby. He may start in the exersaucer, then go to an area that we have sort of blocked off just for him, then he'll go in his high chair for a small snack of water and cheerios...I feel like I get maybe 10-15 in each space. :glare: I also pull out random things for him to play with that are unusual to him, mostly things that aren't really toys iykwim (measuring cups, spoons, little bowls, empty DVD cases, empty boxes, etc etc.). Usually his curiosity will allow me to have enough time to go over the math lesson and reading, and then I give my older son some independent work while I nurse and snuggle the baby, and give him some attention.

I feel bad for my older kids, because it seems like the baby is always having us stop when we are doing something together. Again, the mommy guilt. And I just know it is going to get even harder as the baby starts to walk and gets closer to 2. I will have to be creative for sure.

:grouphug: I'll be watching this thread, too. I can always use a few more good ideas!!

My ds11months has a nap from 9:30-11 am. I have to make sure he wakes up around 7am for this to stay consistant.This is the biggest help, because he's generally in a good mood when he gets up. During this time we focus the subjects that they most need me.. I keep going back and forth from here to them.:tongue_smilie:

Once he wakes up, or I wake him to keep him on schedule, he just toddles all over and plays. Definitely a distraction right when he gets up and everyone wants smile from him before they get back to work.:001_smile:Before he knew how to walk I would put him in his walker and keep giving him interesting things to play with,like spoons and measuring cups, rulers, etc. By 11:45, I feed him while listening to them read Science or History out loud so I can hear the lesson. I try to stay involved.

The reason I get him up at 11, if he doesn't wake, is because he has another afternoon nap. During that nap we have quite reading time,they do their Bible lesson, and Mom has a quiet hour for whatever.

When he was younger I rotated that morning hour between a jumper, floor time and time in the walker. Now he also love to sit in front of a bookshelf, in the same room as school and the last shelf are his books to empty off.:tongue_smilie:

hTH

I'm laughing at the responses. I will take out his batteries. ;) Thanks for your ideas. I am doing those, so it's encouraging to hear I'm not all clueless. I guess it's just the fun of life with a baby and accepting that the busyness is just a part of the blessing. :) I am open for other ideas, too. :)

Yup, gotta rotate the baby :)

So it's 15 minutes in the highchair eating snacks, then 15 mintues playing on the floor with a gift bag and some washcloths (put them in, take them out), then time to watch Super Why (yup, we do tv for babies...it's better than beating them), then time to nurse and snuggle, then she crawls around the kitchen playing with measuring cups and such, then the high chair again, repeat repeat repeat. They grow out of it soon enough. Remember, at this age the baby IS the lesson. Your older children are learning that the most important thing is family, that meeting the needs of those in the family matters, that we need to put the weakest and smallest ahead of ourselves, etc. That will be more important than math.

Yup, gotta rotate the baby :)

So it's 15 minutes in the highchair eating snacks, then 15 mintues playing on the floor with a gift bag and some washcloths (put them in, take them out), then time to watch Super Why (yup, we do tv for babies...it's better than beating them), then time to nurse and snuggle, then she crawls around the kitchen playing with measuring cups and such, then the high chair again, repeat repeat repeat. They grow out of it soon enough. Remember, at this age the baby IS the lesson. Your older children are learning that the most important thing is family, that meeting the needs of those in the family matters, that we need to put the weakest and smallest ahead of ourselves, etc. That will be more important than math.

We need a "like" button! :001_smile:

My baby is just over a year now. Honestly, we just get through the day. Dh thinks I'm joking when I list the baby getting a day older as an accomplishment for the day. The only practical advise I could give after reading your post is to move supper time. Dh often takes the baby with him while he changes after work. Then he'll play with the kids a bit while I work on supper. We eat a little later than most families, but it is one less thing to do while watching the baby.