Menu

20 Countries for Culture/Zoology study

Help me decide what else to include, or any to exclude. This is for 1st grade overview of culture, zoology and geography. We will probably spend two days on each country. Some are picked because of the zoology. I have no Middle East because I don't know which to pick, and we are descendents of Vikings, so I need something there too. These are my picks so far...

Brazil

Mexico

USA/Canada

Hawaii

Alaska

China

Japan

India

Uganda

Kenya/Rwanda

Egypt

Russia

Australia

France

Italy

UK

So I have 4 spots left. Help me fill them? I may need to add a spot or two. I am clueless when it comes to culture and geography. I am looking forward to learning with her. I would think France, Italy and UK cannot be left out. I am worried more Europe should be included? Thanks for any input.

What about Norway or Sweden for the Vikings? For the middle east, maybe Israel? I'm sure that there are alot more countries you could study, those were just the ones that came to my mind when I saw your post. Looks like an interesting first grade year!

I just wanted to recommend a book for your study.

I have a teacher resource titled The Classroom Teacher's World Animal Encyclopedia -- Research, Projects, Pictures & Maps

http://www.amazon.com/Classroom-Teachers-World-Animal-Encyclopedia/dp/0513022686/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1209694683&sr=11-1

It separates animals into groups according to their continent:

arctic land & sea

african

north american

asian

central/south america

australian

Then at the end, there are two chapters:

insects

reptiles

Each page gives info on a specific animal on that continent. Then there are 5 research objectives and projects to complete.

But there are cool castles - King Ludwig of Bavaria's Neuschwanstein was the model for the Disney castle, for example, although there is everything from stone fortresses to romantic follies to opulent palaces

Music - Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, Pachabel all spring to mind. If you expanded to the Germanic area you could also pick up Mozart. (This expansion does make sense if you figure that Germany wasn't a united country until the late 1800s and many figures crossed boundaries - born in one area but working at a court in another).

Religion - not only was Luther German, but much of the 30 Years War was fought in and around German cities. Jewish identity and the Holocaust. The current Pope.

Culture - Christmas traditions including Christmas trees, many of the Christmas carols we sing, and even Santa Claus (a modification of St. Nicholas, who comes on Dec 6th in Germany). Then there are traditions that didn't make it in the US like Martin's Day (Nov 11) with lanterns and a children's parade, decorating the town well with eggs and greenery for Easter (a tradition in the Franken region of Bavaria), Three Kings Day on Epiphany (celebrated mostly in Catholic regions in the south and in Austria) or celebrating the first day of first grade with a Schueltuete (School Cone) filled with candy and school supplies and toys.

German Embassy Info site

German Travel site This site should be able to send you some nice travel guides. I remember being impressed by their Christmas Market guide a few years back. (BTW, under language, English is GB for Great Britain).

Germany for Kids This has some interesting interactive areas.

The various German states also have active tourist boards. I remember Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt) having especially good stuff.

I have book recommendations too. We are reading Children Just Like Me: A Unique Celebration of Children around the World. It is full of colorful picture. It focuses one child from many countries around the world. It gives an idea about their school, environment, housing, clothes, food, and local animals. My kids love learning about other kids. The children in the book are 6-9 years old.

The second book suggestion is a series of books. The books all start off with title Count your way through It teaches the number 1-10 in the language of that particular country. It gives a very general overview of the country's history, people, building, and environment.

I was able to check both out at the library but my kids love The UNICEF Children Just like Me I am going to buy it with my next rainbow resources order.

Good Luck with you study it sounds fun.

Thanks. I will look into that book. I have Children A to Z and am not really happy with it. It seems to give mostly the same info as my Atlas. The Kingfisher Young Peoples Atlas of the World. Using the groups in this along with DH we have picked our 20 categories. There are no representatives for the Vikings, but I suppose that can come through history study.

• USA
  • Canada/ Alaska
  • Hawaii/ Pacific Islands
  • Mexico/ Central America
  • South America
  • British Isles
  • France/ Germany
  • Spain/ Portugal
  • Italy
  • Greece
  • Russia
  • Middle East