Menu

Smelly Washer cleaner - anyone used this?

Our front loader is about 4 months old and we're getting a musty smell in some of our towels. I've left the door of the washer open, and have cleaned the rubber gasket, but I'm thinking the washer may be the culprit. My dh is super sensitive to smells, so I've got to figure out how to deal with this!

I've been poking around the net for information and ran across this: Smelly Washer. Has anyone heard of this or used it? I'd love to get "hive wisdom" before I waste money. ;)

I have not used the product in question. However, a big problem with front loaders is people using too much soap. My understanding is that it causes buildup on the outside of the drum which causes mildew. Try running a cycle with nothing in it, on super-hot with just vinegar and/or bleach instead of soap. I use only a little soap and the kind made for he washers (it creates fewer suds) and run a super-hot cycle as I describe about once a month. I also put a scoop of baking soda in every wash, it helps the soap rinse out. I haven't had a problem with it being smelly since using this routine.

I used this, and it made no difference in our front loader's stinkiness. I'm just careful to leave the door open as much as possible, and when I close the door, I stuff an old washcloth into the gasket area to absorb moisture.

I used that Smelly Washer stuff through many loads, and it didn't help at all.

Michelle T

I have not used the product in question. However, a big problem with front loaders is people using too much soap. My understanding is that it causes buildup on the outside of the drum which causes mildew. Try running a cycle with nothing in it, on super-hot with just vinegar and/or bleach instead of soap. I use only a little soap and the kind made for he washers (it creates fewer suds) and run a super-hot cycle as I describe about once a month. I also put a scoop of baking soda in every wash, it helps the soap rinse out. I haven't had a problem with it being smelly since using this routine.

Okay, I did the bleach cycle this afternoon. I may try the vinegar too.

How much baking soda do you put in with each load? And how much HE soap do you use - I've been using HE but usually the recommended amount. Do you use less than the recommended amount?

I used this, and it made no difference in our front loader's stinkiness. I'm just careful to leave the door open as much as possible, and when I close the door, I stuff an old washcloth into the gasket area to absorb moisture.

I used that Smelly Washer stuff through many loads, and it didn't help at all.

Michelle T

Well...bummer. That's NOT what I wanted to hear, you know!

I like the washcloth idea, 'cause there's always water in there. I think I'll be trying that as well.

I don't really think the washing machine really smells, and most of our laundry seems fine, but the towels definitely have some kind of smell. :001_huh:

Okay, I did the bleach cycle this afternoon. I may try the vinegar too.

How much baking soda do you put in with each load? And how much HE soap do you use - I've been using HE but usually the recommended amount. Do you use less than the recommended amount?

Yes, I use about half the recommended amount. I use about 2 oz of baking soda, I have a one ounce scoop and I use two of them.

the problem of smelly/weird towels and washcloths only seems to happen when the weather warms up a bit. The towels and washcloths might even smell clean when I fold them and put them away, but then as soon as they get wet -- :ack2: they smell so disgusting, we just gag.

The only solution I've found that seems to work each time is to put white vinegar into the load (when I load the laundry in, run the water, and put in the detergent). Just add about a cup of white vinegar. I do this for each load we do, all spring, summer, and into the fall, then we don't seem to need it through the winter. Whatever.

If you shop at Aldi, they usually have nice sized bottles of white vinegar at a good price, and I buy a LOT at once to have it on hand all through "stinky season." HTH.

I do think that Mrs. Mungo's idea of adding baking soda to each load is also something that works, we simply haven't done it. I wonder, Mrs. Mungo, how much do you put in (size of scoop)? About a 1/2 cup? Thanks for the tip.

The only solution I've found that seems to work each time is to put white vinegar into the load (when I load the laundry in, run the water, and put in the detergent). Just add about a cup of white vinegar. I do this for each load we do, all spring, summer, and into the fall, then we don't seem to need it through the winter. Whatever.

I was wondering about adding white vinegar, so thanks for adding that.

Would you add vinegar and baking soda (you know, more is always better) ;) or just one of them?

I was wondering about adding white vinegar, so thanks for adding that.

Would you add vinegar and baking soda (you know, more is always better) ;) or just one of them?

I've used them each separately and I've used them together. I think they do an equally good job separately. Baking soda is easier for me with the scooping instead of pouring from the giant vinegar jug but that may just be me and my clumsiness. :tongue_smilie::D

i use baking soda in each load, and also don't use as much HE soap (but i also have a smaller Miele washer). I haven't ever had an issue with smelly towels though. How hot does your machine go? Can you run it without soap and watch to see how much soap comes out? They could have a bunch of build up in them and just need some runs thru that way to get rid of the soap residue.

I always recommend to new front loader owners to wash jeans and towels withOUT soap the first time, and maybe the 2nd-5th. Start adding soap when it doesn't suds up in the wash cycle. This from owning a FL for years (mine was made in 1998!) and selling them for awhile.

Miele recommends powder over liquid detergent - since the powder cleans better.