Menu

List of Borders to close

The one north of us is closing. It's near the biggest B&N I've ever seen, so I'm sure it just can't compete. I've never been in the Borders there.

The one south of us, in a very ctive mall, is not on the list. That place is always packed, and we buy books there about once a month or so. They are across the street from a B&N, but both seem to do well.

I was in our store on Thursday, which is when I found out they were closing. The employee told me that today was the last day that they would be a "Borders" store, that someone else would be taking over to do the liquidation.

The only store near me staying open is a Borders Express, and I never shop there. I guess it is partly my fault, I probably could have kept them open myself as many books as I buy, I just give all of my money to Amazon. :blush:

Careful about the sales. I've read about how these consolidation companies do business when a company declares bankruptcy. The first step is to RAISE all the prices. Seriously. They remove every single sale. Then they mark things down only from the highest possible price. In other words, if a $25 book was in the sale rack for $5, it's now $25 again, but marked down 10% or 20% or something - whatever the going sale is at this level. You may get some good deals, but just be aware.

The one we go to occasionally is not closing, which is sort of a shame. It's really a travesty. It always looks like a tornado recently came through it and we've had to complain about mistreatment by employees before. Every time I go in there, I always think something along the lines of, how can a huge company survive when they're this poorly organized? And clearly, they can't.