Menu

Has anyone used aas as a stand alone teaching your child to read.

9arrows4God

Oh, I can answer this! The answer is YES. I am using it to teach my 8yo struggling reader. I take it slow and throw in extra things (like the pp mentioned) such as starfall, occasionally a page or two of Phonics Pathways, the free phonics readers from Progressive Phonics (google it, it's great). And have you looked at the Beehive Readers on the AAS site? They are coordinated to work with AAS. She even tells you which stories to read after which step in AAS. Nice books, hardcover, cute illustrations.

Cathy Duffy has a nice review of AAS, and she says it could be used to teach reading.

I did. I used it with dd when she was in K. At that time, the readers started on volume 3, so we did a lot of supplementing until we got to the point where 3 kicked in. She has a great foundation in phonics, and because of that she has learned to read easily.

If you use it for reading, you will likely move at a much faster pace than if you are using it for spelling. If you are using it for both, you can work out of 2 different places in the book - most kids learn to read faster than they can spell. The readers are awesome as well. The stories and illustrations are great. My daughter really enjoyed them. They can be used with or without AAS.

I used AAS and some games to teach oldest dd to read. She went from spelling better than she could read to reading a whole book overnight. Then I just let her read and read and read. I did go through OPGTR with her quickly about 6 months after her reading took off to make sure she didn't miss anything (since it would take years to get through all of the same rules with AAS), but honestly, once she was reading she quickly was able to read any word that she had heard spoken before and could sound out many others.