Menu

Biology - 4 dissections in one day?

What says the Hive?

I'm helping out some friends of mine and running a mini-coop for Apologia Biology. All that means, basically, is that I'm not grossed out by the thought of dissections! ;)

We're going to get our students (4-6 of them) together and handle dissections. What do you think - can we just bang out the 4 dissections in a 3-4 hour afternoon? Or would I be better off to split them and do two and two? My inclination is all 4 in one shot, but I'm just wondering if it might be too much. . . . . . . . .

TIA!

Hi! I would do two and two if you don't want to do them individually. The earthworm will not take long. :D The others are much more interesting and more detailed. I really don't think you could do justice to them if you tried to do them in one afternoon. The frog dissection is really cool, especially if you have kids that get into it. And, of course, more kids means things take more time - lots more, in my experience. Have fun!

Blessings,

April

We must be crazy slow because all of our dissections took at least 2 to 3 hours.

Of course my son insisted on dissecting EVERYTHING, not just what was laid out in the textbook. He even tried to dissect the poor frog's eyeballs, looking everything up on the internet and drawing picture after picture after picture . . . so I guess it depends on how "into it" your students are.

For us, one dissection a day was more than enough. :tongue_smilie: Of course, now he's a biology major . . . so I guess it definitely spurred some interest. :lol:

Agreeing with the others that, at most, you should do 2 dissections per day. The earthworm is simple and the crayfish is fairly simple. The perch and frog though have much more to look at and you don't want the kids to rush through the frog b/c they are tired. Additionally, the dissections are covered in 2 separate chapters, so you want the students to have done the reading before dissecting.

Enjoy!

Lisa, about to put in our order for dissection specimens and toolkits. :001_smile:

We must be crazy slow because all of our dissections took at least 2 to 3 hours.

Of course my son insisted on dissecting EVERYTHING, not just what was laid out in the textbook. He even tried to dissect the poor frog's eyeballs, looking everything up on the internet and drawing picture after picture after picture . . . so I guess it depends on how "into it" your students are.

For us, one dissection a day was more than enough. :tongue_smilie: Of course, now he's a biology major . . . so I guess it definitely spurred some interest. :lol:

This was true of us as well, except for the being a bio major part. :001_smile: My guys really got into the dissections and wanted to explore more than required by the labs. Eyeballs were totally part of the program here. :tongue_smilie:

Blessings again,

April

I don't think I would do the perch and frog together. I thought the perch was HARD to get through....literally:D! Trying to get the bone shaved off of that fish's head to see his brain was torture :lol:. I think I would do the earthworm and perch together, and the frog and crayfish together. But ideally I would take two different periods to do the crayfish and frog because there is a lot to see. If you could take a break between them, that would work also! How nice that you are willing to help others with their dissections. Have fun!!!