Menu

What are you doing for 8th grade? (currently or next year?)

Math- Saxon Alg 1 or 1/2 tbd by her last five test scores in 8/7 with Art Reed DVDs

Science- Apologia Physical Science online with Redwagontutorials

Writeahome.com 8th grade Composition

Artistic Pursuits -Jr. High book 1

Building Thinking Skills 3 verbal

Spelling- Christian Liberty Press spelling 7

Rod and Staff English 7 (maybe AG instead)

Starting Points by David Quine (doing this with another family and we will meet weekly)

IEW starting points lessons

French - Le Art de lire

Piano lessons

fall- volleyball

winter- basketball - maybe

spring- track

Bright Lights meets every other week

I would/wouldn't recommend:

Math: He's completed through Chapter 12 of Foerster's Algebra I. We're taking a short break and using TT as filler because we're experiening Feb/Mar burnout. I recommend Foerster's to those really serious about math. It's not easy. :001_smile:

Lang. Arts: We're using the reading list from WTM for Middle Ages and LLfLOTR. I wouldn't change a thing about our lit selections. He's taking an online composition class from Laurel Tree Tutorials which was a good fit for him - again a good choice for us. His vocab is done via LLfLOTR and is fine. Grammar has been hit or miss. He's completed most of season 3 of AG, but I'm not sure he's retaining it as well as I would like. He's not generalizing to his own writing. We've been supplementing with other workbook/programs.

Science: Apologia's Physical Science class through The Potter's School. Also a good fit for him.

History: History Odyssey Middle Ages level 2 has been okay. Not particularly inspiring, but do-able and just okay. I probably will just do history the WTM way next time around with my younger ds.

Geography: Sheppard's software, Geomap puzzles, and memorization with his little brother. This has been great.

Spanish: We've used and early Spanish vocab program called Flash Forward and Getting Started with Spanish. Both are great programs but we are not as diligent with them as we should be and haven't made adequate prograss. Looks like summer school Spanish for us.

Extra Activites mostly through our YMCA: Swimming, video production class, and guitar lessons.

ETA: If I could do this year over again, I would do an online Spanish class via Potter's School. Foreign Language and Science is always our Achilles heel of homeschool.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

I would/wouldn't recommend:

Math: He's completed through Chapter 12 of Foerster's Algebra I. We're taking a short break and using TT as filler because we're experiening Feb/Mar burnout. I recommend Foerster's to those really serious about math. It's not easy. :001_smile:

Lang. Arts: We're using the reading list from WTM for Middle Ages and LLfLOTR. I wouldn't change a thing about our lit selections. He's taking an online composition class from Laurel Tree Tutorials which was a good fit for him - again a good choice for us. His vocab is done via LLfLOTR and is fine. Grammar has been hit or miss. He's completed most of season 3 of AG, but I'm not sure he's retaining it as well as I would like. He's not generalizing to his own writing. We've been supplementing with other workbook/programs.

Science: Apologia's Physical Science class through The Potter's School. Also a good fit for him.

History: History Odyssey Middle Ages level 2 has been okay. Not particularly inspiring, but do-able and just okay. I probably will just do history the WTM way next time around with my younger ds.

Geography: Sheppard's software, Geomap puzzles, and memorization with his little brother. This has been great.

Spanish: We've used and early Spanish vocab program called Flash Forward and Getting Started with Spanish. Both are great programs but we are not as diligent with them as we should be and haven't made adequate prograss. Looks like summer school Spanish for us.

Extra Activites mostly through our YMCA: Swimming, video production class, and guitar lessons.

Thanks for posting this, Stacy. I am so fried, it's hard to get excited about next year, let alone develop a concrete plan. This is the first time in four years we have done nothing with regards to Spanish. I will have to look at the resources you listed. Do you do HO by the book as in write up all the summaries and keep the notebook?

Thanks for posting this, Stacy. I am so fried, it's hard to get excited about next year, let alone develop a concrete plan. This is the first time in four years we have done nothing with regards to Spanish. I will have to look at the resources you listed. Do you do HO by the book as in write up all the summaries and keep the notebook?

He outlines from Kingfisher a lot, writes summaries from The Story of Mankind, does the map work, and does much of the extra short writing assignments (a sentence or two on famous people/wars/conflicts/religion). The lit reading is pretty similar to the TWTM recommendations for Middle Ages, and he's doing almost all of that. He doesn't do the HO assignments associated with lit, though. For example, lesson 45 in HO assigns the Merchant of Venice and then requires a written summary and a coloring page. We've previously listened to the Lamb book on audio, and I just didn't see the value in this lesson so we skipped it. We'll skip 10 or 15 lessons like this throughout the program. But that's okay with me. We've also had time-line failure. I've order 3 different time-lines but have yet to get one that works for us. :confused:

So, really, HO works much like TWTM way of doing history for Logic stage. Outlining, writing summaries, extra non-fiction (TSOMK) and lit reading. I do like HO, though, because it keeps us moving and on track, and that's important. It's just not particularly inspiring.

Plans for next year:

English 2 with Potter's School

Omnibus II Primary Readings

Latin II Online with Veritas Press Online

Geometry

Physics ( Derek Owens Online)? (not sure about this yet)

Speech/ Debate

Piano Classes

Taekwondo