Menu

Another chapter in my "love-hate" relationship...

with a curriculum... Today marks the third and, hopefully final time, that I've pulled the MCT out of the garage and put it into rotation. Now, in all fairness the first two times I was trying to use it with Saxon, but I've officially decided to ditch the Saxon and jump ship to MCT. I've been hem-hawing around about it for a week or so, but 2 things confirmed it for me today: 1. Barb's post on VSLearners and 2: Hunter's siggy, "A curriculum that gets done is superior to a superior curriculum that doesn't get done." Which of course is always what I tell the parents where I work, but I just needed to see it I guess (we are only on Lesson 33).

Personally I always struggle with the whole are we giving up because it's too hard question, but I think with this I'm convinced it's a learning style issue.

Thanks for listening-I just needed to get that off my chest. You may now return to your regularly scheduled unprogramming.

with a curriculum... Today marks the third and, hopefully final time, that I've pulled the MCT out of the garage and put it into rotation. Now, in all fairness the first two times I was trying to use it with Saxon, but I've officially decided to ditch the Saxon and jump ship to MCT. I've been hem-hawing around about it for a week or so, but 2 things confirmed it for me today: 1. Barb's post on VSLearners and 2: Hunter's siggy, "A curriculum that gets done is superior to a superior curriculum that doesn't get done." Which of course is always what I tell the parents where I work, but I just needed to see it I guess (we are only on Lesson 33).

Personally I always struggle with the whole are we giving up because it's too hard question, but I think with this I'm convinced it's a learning style issue.

Thanks for listening-I just needed to get that off my chest. You may now return to your regularly scheduled unprogramming.

:lol::lol:

If it helps, I used Hake Grammar for two years with my older son. Remarkably he got good scores on the assessments but a year later, with some reinforcement from Daily Grams, he remembered *nothing*. So we went to MCT. I felt like I was stepping off a cliff. But it finally clicked for him. I think he needed the big picture that MCT develops so well--Hake was doing just the opposite breaking everything down into little pieces.

This is to say, I think you're making a great decision!

I am doing the opposite. I am thinking of dumping MCT. I am now questioning his teaching at the high school level. I posted about it on the high school board, but to put it succinctly, he has a quote/indent problem.:lol:

Lisa (swimmermom3) asked him about it on the private forum and his response leaves me :confused::eek::blink: In every single MLA essay example in Voyages, AAW level1 and level 2 (and I am not exaggerating. It is every single one that I have looked through), he follows a long quote by a new paragraph. The resulting paragraphs are therefore weak, and by my assessment (so this is only my opinion ;) ) incorrect form.

If he had shared that they were formatting errors, I could possibly accept that. But, if he really wants to teach students to write the way the examples end up........I am completely and totally unimpressed. They wouldn't pass based on my writing criteria.:tongue_smilie:`

Edited by 8FillTheHeart