Menu

God's Design for Science: Tell me why you like it

SewLittleTime

:bigear::bigear:

I'm interested as well, particularly for those who have used it with K and 1st graders. From what I've read, it seems as if it would be a bit dry for this age group, and is really geared more for older grades?

Science has me stumped. I want something Christian (or at least something that I can supplement a secular program with), but there aren't many options for PreK-1st grade.

What I like:

• goes through all the four major areas of science (biology, earth sciences, chemistry, physics) in elementary--can be used very well with a 4 year WTM sequence if that is your thing.
  • very easy to combine older and younger children (first two series have sections for beginners and older children)
  • the experiments are easy to do, so they actually get done
  • adaptable--I have been able to condense some parts, linger over some others with no great strain on my brain. It is well planned--so it gets done with not much prep on my part.
  • reasonable price, especially compared to some other programs out there.

I would highly recommend getting the newest, updated version; the color pictures and the layout/design are much better. The cd's with the tests/quizzes/worksheets are nice; my boys were not ready for most of the tests/quizes, but the worksheets were mostly usable for us. We plan on going through the series twice, and adding in more WTM logic stage science on the second time throough. I have the whole series, and consider it a great investment.

I'm interested as well, particularly for those who have used it with K and 1st graders. From what I've read, it seems as if it would be a bit dry for this age group, and is really geared more for older grades?

Science has me stumped. I want something Christian (or at least something that I can supplement a secular program with), but there aren't many options for PreK-1st grade.

I used the life series (human body, plants, animals) with my guys when they were !st and K, and they both enjoyed it. We kept a notebook with all of their drawings/narrations/crafts, and read a lot of extra library books (Magic School Bus, a gazillion DK Eyewitness animal books...). It was fun.

I like it for all the same reasons as Zoo Keeper. We've been using it for just over a year and have just completed the Life series. When we started my boys were Gr. 2 and K and it's worked out fine. We do as many projects, experiments and worksheets as possible and I often find Let's Read and Find Out science books to go with the lessons if I can. I will do this even more next year as I will have another one in K.

I wouldn't say they are dry per se, I find them more to the point than dry. My kids think they are just fine. The beginner section is more conversational than the main section. There isn't a whole lot of extra fluff. You can get it done, or you can add to it but science always gets done.

The best thing about them, for me, is that they are creationist and not ashamed of it. I love that part.

I used the life series (human body, plants, animals) with my guys when they were !st and K, and they both enjoyed it. We kept a notebook with all of their drawings/narrations/crafts, and read a lot of extra library books (Magic School Bus, a gazillion DK Eyewitness animal books...). It was fun.

Really? Well that's good to know. I guess adding library books would keep it fun (we read a lot anyway). Off to take another look!

The best thing about them, for me, is that they are creationist and not ashamed of it. I love that part.

Yes, for me too! I've been looking at all sorts of science programs.....most of them secular, and just not finding anything that's exactly what I want. (Mostly because they're secular, lol!)

I agree with everything zookeeper said also. I like that it gets done here. My boys have enjoyed it. We are able to do the activities and I like that they aren't major. Brief, but complete. Not one subject all year so that there is some variety - but not tooo much either.

Are the teacher's material necessary? Well, they are more necessary for an older student; I think you could wing it for the little guys, but you wouldn't have any of the worksheets or other papers that are put down as activiites in the lessons. You'd have to do your own--which wouldn't be too taxing for a 1st and K'er. The teacher's books also detail the methods outcomes of the experiments better, so that is helpful. I bought the whole thing as a set, so I haven't tried to use the books without the teacher's stuff, but if you need to cut corners (and $) you probably could do the first two series (life sciences and earth sciences) without the teacher's materials and not want to beat your head against a wall too much. I wouldn't try to use the last two series (chemistry and physics), or any of the series with an older child (9 or so and up) without the teacher's materials. I feel that they are necessary for those topics and ages.

What I like:

• goes through all the four major areas of science (biology, earth sciences, chemistry, physics) in elementary--can be used very well with a 4 year WTM sequence if that is your thing.

• very easy to combine older and younger children (first two series have sections for beginners and older children)

• adaptable--I have been able to condense some parts, linger over some others with no great strain on my brain. It is well planned--so it gets done with not much prep on my part.

I would highly recommend getting the newest, updated version; the color pictures and the layout/design are much better. The cd's with the tests/quizzes/worksheets are nice; my boys were not ready for most of the tests/quizes, but the worksheets were mostly usable for us. We plan on going through the series twice, and adding in more WTM logic stage science on the second time throough. I have the whole series, and consider it a great investment.

:iagree: with everything Zoo Keeper said. We are doing the Life Science this year and it has been so easy to implement. It's nice that science doesn't get pushed to the background due to so much complexity.

I'm stumped too! We've been using SL science up to this point, but my kids are BORED! We're in week 17 of science 3 and ds is yet to have an experiement. My K-er is doing SL science K and is just saying "we already did this." True. He's been sitting in on brother's lessons his whole life!

I'm looking to combine my boys. I want something that follows a classical cycle. One complaint of my oldest is that SL science seems to cover the same topic every year. Not true, but it gives him an excuse to complain about the Water book that he loathes!:glare: He has covered some of the topics in that book, but not all.

What I like:

This is something we moving toward. I want a classical cycle if possible.

I'm looking to combine my kids. They'll be 4th grade and 1st. A little far apart, but doable I think. Do you have to supplement much?

Does each lesson have an experiement? How often are they scheduled? Again, I couldn't get a feel on the website.

I like this! My brain needs all the help it can get!;)

I thought it was reasonable too!

• I would highly recommend getting the newest, updated version; the color pictures and the layout/design are much better. The cd's with the tests/quizzes/worksheets are nice; my boys were not ready for most of the tests/quizes, but the worksheets were mostly usable for us. We plan on going through the series twice, and adding in more WTM logic stage science on the second time throough. I have the whole series, and consider it a great investment.

Do you find it meaty enough to go through twice? The samples don't give me much to go on there?

This is great!

Are the teacher's material necessary? Well, they are more necessary for an older student; I think you could wing it for the little guys, but you wouldn't have any of the worksheets or other papers that are put down as activiites in the lessons. You'd have to do your own--which wouldn't be too taxing for a 1st and K'er. The teacher's books also detail the methods outcomes of the experiments better, so that is helpful. I bought the whole thing as a set, so I haven't tried to use the books without the teacher's stuff, but if you need to cut corners (and $) you probably could do the first two series (life sciences and earth sciences) without the teacher's materials and not want to beat your head against a wall too much. I wouldn't try to use the last two series (chemistry and physics), or any of the series with an older child (9 or so and up) without the teacher's materials. I feel that they are necessary for those topics and ages.

Good info!

:bigear:

Loving this post - I've been using Abeka Science for my dd11 and it is making me crazy. Yesterday I was checking out AIG's website and wondering what it was like and how it compares to Apologia.

Thanks to the OP for this topic:)

We're Apologia dropouts! We started with Astronomy, but we were using it with another program. Turned out to be too much! I'd like more of classical cycle too. So, in that respect, Apologia is not what I want.

We really like the God's Design Science:

1. Biblical Worldview

2. Doable-the reading is fairly short, maybe 5-10 minutes, shorter in the beginner's section

3. activity/experiment for every lesson- most of them are very do able without being overly crafty or lame. IME all science curriculums have some activities that are over simplified, of questionable relevance, or too crafty, some activities that are just right, and some that are too complicated or too time consuming. God's Design seems to do a better job than many of getting most of the activities in that sweet spot that is just right. Also, since there is an activity/experiment with every lesson I didn't feel bad about skipping some that were too simple, too complicated, or just occurred on a crazy week.

Having said all that, it wouldn't be my ideal curriculum for K - 2nd without substantial supplementing or substituting of great, on topic, age appropriate picture books.

Having said all that, it wouldn't be my ideal curriculum for K - 2nd without substantial supplementing or substituting of great, on topic, age appropriate picture books.

Good point. So now I'd like to know, do any of you ladies that have used God's Design for K-2nd have a blog where you've shared using this? (Such as posts about go-along books you've read, or the experiments you've done, etc.?)

I taught the Life series last year to a K/1 class in co-op. It went fine but I didn't continue on in the series. I like the Christian focus but I did find it really simple and too brief. The experiments were typical and fun, easy to implement. I didn't find the electronic resources helpful at all - definitely not K/1 level. Aside from the experiments, it's basically a good read, with nice pictures. If I were to do it at home with my children, I'd feel the need to supplement it with other resources (library).

Or if you don't like it, please share too!

I spent tonight looking at some samples and can really get a feel for it. I'd love to touch it and look through an actual print copy, but our convention is months away. Please share your thoughts on it!:bigear:

You are welcome to check out my review of the curriculum on www.amazon.com :)

As some others have said, I feel that the beginner sections in the first two series are short and to the point. I like that. :) I did supplement with lots of extra books (mostly from the library--most libraries have scads of children's books on plants, animals, stars, planets, etc.). I appreciated the brevity of the beginners' section; on the days when I had the umph to do extra reading--great!. On the days when it couldn't happen, science still got done. We would read the text, narrate and/or draw on what we read, and be done. Easy to get done. I like that, too. :)

Do you find it meaty enough to go through twice? The samples don't give me much to go on there?

This is a question I have as well. I have the Life Science set (for next year), and at this point, I think I'll be happy using it for 1st and 5th. IMHO, a 5th grader who has been through all that material should have a good handle on life science; it is certainly more life science than I had before public high school.

I have a concern regarding the Chemistry and Physics levels, though. From what I've read, those do not have the same Beginner section that the Life and Earth Science sets have. Is that correct? If that's so, then the main part of each lesson would be the same for grammar and logic stages (except that you would add the challenge activity for logic stage).

Has anyone used/plan to use the Chemistry and Physics sets in both stages?

I have used it successfully used it for K-2 levels. :)

What I liked is that it works for all my kids at once.

One thing is I felt that I should suppliment a bit to make it more exciting. But the program is affordable and super easy to add inexpensive extras to.

This year I added Elemental Science also. Ebooks are so cheap and creator of the program is a doll!

Well, I am planning on doing the chemistry set in a year from now, so I will have one in 4th and one in 2nd, plus a K'er. You are right that the Chem and Physics have no beginner section. I haven't looked into it in depth yet because it's still a year away but I wanted to add Janice VanCleave's Chemistry for Every Kid and try to coordinate that with GD. Also, if I have any appropriate Let's Read and Find Out science books, I'll try to add those. I am thinking my oldest will be fine because he likes science and hopefully with the added books, the youngers will have fun and learn something too.

In the teacher's manual there is a list at the back of extra resources (books, videos and field trips) so I am hoping I can use some of those for my younger ones and it'll all still work. But we'll see.

But the program is affordable and super easy to add inexpensive extras to.

See, I was thinking that the 3 textbooks (Human Body, Animals and Plants), plus the 3 Teacher's supplement books for $76-89 plus shipping was actually kind of high just for one year. :D I guess it's all in your perspective, or what you're comparing it to.

I taught the Life series last year to a K/1 class in co-op. It went fine but I didn't continue on in the series. I like the Christian focus but I did find it really simple and too brief. The experiments were typical and fun, easy to implement. I didn't find the electronic resources helpful at all - definitely not K/1 level. Aside from the experiments, it's basically a good read, with nice pictures. If I were to do it at home with my children, I'd feel the need to supplement it with other resources (library).

Thanks for this review.

You are welcome to check out my review of the curriculum on www.amazon.com :)

I'll check it out!

I like what I see of God's design for..Science.

Specially the physics and chemistry ones got my attention.

Finally I chose something else because:

- I'm not sure the physics and chemistry series are the level I need.

- As far as we are, unitstudies -multilevel programs don't fit, never: I buy and I try but they don't fit, I don't want misbuy nr. xxx because of that.

- I read only reviews of the first 2 series, not the physics and the chemistry one (the ones I need).

So after a lot of thinking I buy 'safely': I stick with BJU Science, I do the grades I need, in the order I need...

I appreciate your input. I wonder if it will work combining my boys for science.

This is a question I have as well. I have the Life Science set (for next year), and at this point, I think I'll be happy using it for 1st and 5th. IMHO, a 5th grader who has been through all that material should have a good handle on life science; it is certainly more life science than I had before public high school.

I have a concern regarding the Chemistry and Physics levels, though. From what I've read, those do not have the same Beginner section that the Life and Earth Science sets have. Is that correct? If that's so, then the main part of each lesson would be the same for grammar and logic stages (except that you would add the challenge activity for logic stage).

Has anyone used/plan to use the Chemistry and Physics sets in both stages?

I'd also like more input on the Chemsitry and Physics sets.

See, I was thinking that the 3 textbooks (Human Body, Animals and Plants), plus the 3 Teacher's supplement books for $76-89 plus shipping was actually kind of high just for one year. :D I guess it's all in your perspective, or what you're comparing it to.

I bought used and do not yet own the teachers manual :)

Plus I plan on rotating through, so I am really buyng it for more than one year if that makes sense.

We're using both the earth science set and the chemistry set this year. I have my 6th grader doing the chemistry books independently, while we all do the earth science books.

The chemistry and physics books are geared towards grades 3-8. The main section is really geared toward kids at least in grade 3. I probably wouldn't use it as is with younger kids. However, it's not that hard to read through the section ahead of time, pick out the main points, and then explain a simplified version for younger kids. I'm considering doing this with the physics series next year for my 2nd grader. HTH

I'd also like more input on the Chemsitry and Physics sets.

I used parts of the the two Chemistry books (Ecology hadn't been written yet) and parts of 2 of the 3 Physics books for my ds when he was in 3rd grade. I also supplemented with appropriate pages from the Usborne IL Encyclopedia of Science to provide better visuals. (The new full color editions weren't out then). I read the lesson to my ds and then we did most of the experiments/activities. Honestly, a lot of it went over ds's head despite the fact that he likes science and is advanced in most subjects. He also keeps periodic chart place mat at his place at the table. I definitely think the Chemistry and Physics books are meaty enough for him to do again. In fact they are one of my top choices for ds to do for science next year (6th grade).

At the same time I was doing the Chemistry and Physics with ds, my dd was in K. I did not read any of the God's Design Science to her that year. I read from library books on related topics as I had time and could find good stuff in the library. Some of the books I read included Let's Read and Find Out books, Rookie Read About Science books, and the Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature pages on Chemistry and Physics. She also enjoyed watching/doing the experiments and activities. I don't know that she learned all that much from them though.

Although the Chemistry and Physics books are one of the top choices for ds for next year (6th) I'm pretty sure that most of the material will be over dd's head next year (3rd) and I don't know what to do about that. I would like to cover Physical Science I(Physics and/or Chemistry) with both next year, but I have yet to find anything that is meaty enough for ds, but simple enough for dd. The God's Design for Earth and Space has worked really well for us this year with dd using the Beginner section supplemented with picture books, but alas, the Chemistry and Physics books do not have the beginner section.

If anyone knows of a science curriculum that covers Chemistry and/or Physics that is good for both an advanced 6th grader and an average 3rd grader I would love to know about it.

I used parts of the the two Chemistry books (Ecology hadn't been written yet) and parts of 2 of the 3 Physics books for my ds when he was in 3rd grade. I also supplemented with appropriate pages from the Usborne IL Encyclopedia of Science to provide better visuals. (The new full color editions weren't out then). I read the lesson to my ds and then we did most of the experiments/activities. Honestly, a lot of it went over ds's head despite the fact that he likes science and is advanced in most subjects. He also keeps periodic chart place mat at his place at the table. I definitely think the Chemistry and Physics books are meaty enough for him to do again. In fact they are one of my top choices for ds to do for science next year (6th grade).

At the same time I was doing the Chemistry and Physics with ds, my dd was in K. I did not read any of the God's Design Science to her that year. I read from library books on related topics as I had time and could find good stuff in the library. Some of the books I read included Let's Read and Find Out books, Rookie Read About Science books, and the Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature pages on Chemistry and Physics. She also enjoyed watching/doing the experiments and activities. I don't know that she learned all that much from them though.

Although the Chemistry and Physics books are one of the top choices for ds for next year (6th) I'm pretty sure that most of the material will be over dd's head next year (3rd) and I don't know what to do about that. I would like to cover Physical Science I(Physics and/or Chemistry) with both next year, but I have yet to find anything that is meaty enough for ds, but simple enough for dd. The God's Design for Earth and Space has worked really well for us this year with dd using the Beginner section supplemented with picture books, but alas, the Chemistry and Physics books do not have the beginner section.

If anyone knows of a science curriculum that covers Chemistry and/or Physics that is good for both an advanced 6th grader and an average 3rd grader I would love to know about it.

You've hit on the biggest issue I'm having with science and that is finding something that is meaty enough for the older one and yet reachable for the younger. Where, oh where is that curriculum?:confused: