Menu

OK, I'm just going to ask it....does your older dd/ds still suck thumb?

sheryl

Bless all the Moms on the sn board here on wtm. We do have our work cut out for us.

Do any of your older ds/dd still suck their thumb? I'm looking for replies or if you feel safer to pm, do that, for kids 10 and older.

You may remember my dd has controlled epilepsy and behavioral issues. She continued to suck her thumb until last month, when at the age of 11 1/2, she went to the orthodontist to have braces put on. She still tried to thumb suck the first week, but it wasn't until she got used to the braces and how an object aka thumb would "feel" in her mouth that she decided to drop the thumb. :confused:

If she would not have had braces installed, I'm guessing she'd still be thumb sucking. What will happen in 18 months when the braces come off. :glare:

Let me know. Thanks.

How funny.....we just went through the thumb-sucking/braces ordeal and I had hoped it would help, but, alas.....it hasn't!!!

My ds just turned 13 and his thumb is attached to his mouth quite a bit during the day and instinctively at night when he's sleeping....he began orthodontic treatment with an extender placed across the top of his mouth and we had hoped it would help him to stop, but he just continues on....the orthodontist gave him the pep talk about stopping....how he was a young man now and it was time to put childish things behind.....that the thumb sucking was actually making his teeth/bite issues worse.....and he gave him some tips for quitting.....none of it worked....ds does NOT want to quit....he gets so upset and freaked out, retreating behind a wall if we even suggest it or talk to him about it.....

He also still has his blanket from his baby days....we are only NOW able to leave the house without it.....I've tried everything I can think about to get him to give it up, but, again, he totally goes into melt-down mode whenever we bring it up.....it is tattered, in pieces, full of holes....basically shredded.....I have to handwash it because I don't think it would survive the washer and it gets filthy.....one time we flew to Orlando for a Disney vacation and he was helping get his nieces and nephews unloaded from the plane. He set it down on the seat and forgot it....we got all the way to the baggage claim and he realized it was gone....total meltdown....finally, after begging someone to go look for it, a woman was kind enough to go the 10 minute walk back to the plane and found it....while we were waiting to see if it was recovered, he literally laid down on the floor in the middle of the airport, crying and rolling around on the floor, hysterical and unconsolable....I was on the phone with my husband, in tears myself, trying to figure out what to do!!!! It was awful!!!!

We've gone round and round on this.....have no clue what to do....his dad talks to him frequently about stopping with both, but it upsets him so much that we don't push it.....at least the thumb and blanket don't go out the door with us.....he is around groups at church and co-op, and it's never been an issue....it's just here at home, or when we go to a hotel, or to grandma's....if there's other kids around he won't do it....

I wish I had an answer....I wish I knew what to do....He has HFA, is extremely developmentally delayed, and while I'd love to see this issue fade away, I just don't have it in my heart to just make the blanket "disappear", or to be on him constantly all day long to get his thumb out of his mouth....if anyone else has had experience in this, I'd also love to hear what you did....I jokingly asked him if "blankie" (yes, blankie has a nickname, and is referred to as "he"!!!) was going to go with him on his honeymoon, and while he laughed at it, he didn't rule that out!!!!

We are working on SO many issues with him that this seems like the least of our problems, but it is certainly one that has been a challenge.....

Karla :-)

Have you gotten her evaluated for sensory issues? I sucked my thumb till I was in 5th grade and only stopped because of the orthodontist. Turns out mouthing is a reflection of the sensory stuff out of whack (sensory dysintegration? don't know the right word). I'd get her evaluated by an OT who does sensory integration. They'll have some more socially acceptable options and be able to get her system more in sync to chill it over time. It doesn't go away with age.

Don't mention I told by my DH sucked his thumb until we were married, my little sister sucked her thumb until she was 11 then had spikes put in. My dd who has SPD sucks her tongue and I expect the only way to discourage it will be spikes. With my sister and DH once they stopped for a good while month+ they didn't go back.

How funny.....we just went through the thumb-sucking/braces ordeal and I had hoped it would help, but, alas.....it hasn't!!!

My ds just turned 13 and his thumb is attached to his mouth quite a bit during the day and instinctively at night when he's sleeping....he began orthodontic treatment with an extender placed across the top of his mouth and we had hoped it would help him to stop, but he just continues on....the orthodontist gave him the pep talk about stopping....how he was a young man now and it was time to put childish things behind.....that the thumb sucking was actually making his teeth/bite issues worse.....and he gave him some tips for quitting.....none of it worked....ds does NOT want to quit....he gets so upset and freaked out, retreating behind a wall if we even suggest it or talk to him about it.....

He also still has his blanket from his baby days....we are only NOW able to leave the house without it.....I've tried everything I can think about to get him to give it up, but, again, he totally goes into melt-down mode whenever we bring it up.....it is tattered, in pieces, full of holes....basically shredded.....I have to handwash it because I don't think it would survive the washer and it gets filthy.....one time we flew to Orlando for a Disney vacation and he was helping get his nieces and nephews unloaded from the plane. He set it down on the seat and forgot it....we got all the way to the baggage claim and he realized it was gone....total meltdown....finally, after begging someone to go look for it, a woman was kind enough to go the 10 minute walk back to the plane and found it....while we were waiting to see if it was recovered, he literally laid down on the floor in the middle of the airport, crying and rolling around on the floor, hysterical and unconsolable....I was on the phone with my husband, in tears myself, trying to figure out what to do!!!! It was awful!!!!

We've gone round and round on this.....have no clue what to do....his dad talks to him frequently about stopping with both, but it upsets him so much that we don't push it.....at least the thumb and blanket don't go out the door with us.....he is around groups at church and co-op, and it's never been an issue....it's just here at home, or when we go to a hotel, or to grandma's....if there's other kids around he won't do it....

I wish I had an answer....I wish I knew what to do....He has HFA, is extremely developmentally delayed, and while I'd love to see this issue fade away, I just don't have it in my heart to just make the blanket "disappear", or to be on him constantly all day long to get his thumb out of his mouth....if anyone else has had experience in this, I'd also love to hear what you did....I jokingly asked him if "blankie" (yes, blankie has a nickname, and is referred to as "he"!!!) was going to go with him on his honeymoon, and while he laughed at it, he didn't rule that out!!!!

We are working on SO many issues with him that this seems like the least of our problems, but it is certainly one that has been a challenge.....

Karla, Bless you! What is HFA? So much of this is a reflection of some special need....behavioral, etc. My dd has behavioral issues: add, adhd and odd. Since the braces went on she hasn't sucked her thumb...I'm hoping she will not put it back in. We've encouraged her for YEARS to stop. She didn't. She ALWAYS knew there would be a "reward" when she stopped....getting her ears pierced. She's now excited about it and is crossing off the days on a calendar...day 5 I think. To be honest, my dd was also late in going diaper-free. She was not potty trained at 3, 4, 5, but much later. Then when she stopped wearing diapers but underwear to bed she'd still have wet accidents. I agree with you that you need to pick your battles. Why create undue stress in your ds? On the other hand, my theory is the older a child is to potty train or stopping the thumb the less likely it might be. But, that's when we pray and ask God to step in and perform His work that we are not able to do. God can work on any child to stop these things. But, we do need to put with effort too.

Have you gotten her evaluated for sensory issues? I sucked my thumb till I was in 5th grade and only stopped because of the orthodontist. Turns out mouthing is a reflection of the sensory stuff out of whack (sensory dysintegration? don't know the right word). I'd get her evaluated by an OT who does sensory integration. They'll have some more socially acceptable options and be able to get her system more in sync to chill it over time. It doesn't go away with age.

Hi Eliz... I've seen so much about this sensory stuff. It overwhelms me b/c it seems it's chasing a bunny trail, again. Aren't there so many different kinds? I may have to do some research on this. Sensory deficits can not be outgrown?

Don't mention I told by my DH sucked his thumb until we were married, my little sister sucked her thumb until she was 11 then had spikes put in. My dd who has SPD sucks her tongue and I expect the only way to discourage it will be spikes. With my sister and DH once they stopped for a good while month+ they didn't go back.

Yes....it's ironic the little tv I watch, I was flipping channels one day and show a show with an adult woman playing putt-putt golf with her boyfriend OR husband, in public, and she was sucking her thumb. What are spikes?

My son was a little younger, but he sucked his thumb until he got his braces at 8yo. They attached what they called a "habit reminder" or "thumb rake" onto the palatte expander he got, looks like the tongs on a fork. The orthodontist told us that either he'll quit or he won't and if he doesn't quit then ds would have to go through the whole ordeal again but on our dime as the insurance would refuse to pay for a second round of the same treatment.

Ds got everything removed last November and so far he hasn't gone back to sucking his thumb. I'm nervous he'll go back to it but so far he's kept his hands out of his mouth.

I agree with the pp that suggested looking into sensory issues, this was definately the case for our ds. For whatever reason, getting the braces did something for him that helped. Our ds has high-functioning autism and his orthodontist, speech therapist and pediatrician are all amazed that he stopped.

You can get The Out of Sync Child, it's all about sensory processing disorder/sensory integration disorder and very informative. It explains the different categories of spd/sid and includes checklists to help you narrow down if your child may have spd/sid and what category.

Uh no, you don't out grow sensory integration problems. HFA = high functioning autism. Now according to our OT, there's a wide spectrum (hence the term spectrum) of things that are separated by degrees. At the one extreme you have the column of severe, full-blown autism. Move over to the right a column and you have HFA, aspie. Keep moving over and over and at the other side you have more mild stuff: SPD, ADD, ADHD. Say you don't want a label, say you don't think there needs to be a label. Well I still say what you're seeing is sensory integration problems. Yes, the Out of Sync Child (and basically any other books in that section of the library) will help you. No, the problems don't go away. You take away the thumb-sucking, and you may get another habit you don't like. I'm not saying to leave the thumb sucking. I'm saying the sensory problems just shift. Later the people take up smoking or get tongue rings or other more socially acceptable ways to get that mouthing in. Or they find unacceptable ways to get their sensory input. It doesn't go away.

I'd get an eval by an OT who does sensory integration. Probably more stuff will show up, and other quirks you didn't realize were connected will make more sense.

My son was a little younger, but he sucked his thumb until he got his braces at 8yo. They attached what they called a "habit reminder" or "thumb rake" onto the palatte expander he got, looks like the tongs on a fork. The orthodontist told us that either he'll quit or he won't and if he doesn't quit then ds would have to go through the whole ordeal again but on our dime as the insurance would refuse to pay for a second round of the same treatment.

Ds got everything removed last November and so far he hasn't gone back to sucking his thumb. I'm nervous he'll go back to it but so far he's kept his hands out of his mouth.

I agree with the pp that suggested looking into sensory issues, this was definately the case for our ds. For whatever reason, getting the braces did something for him that helped. Our ds has high-functioning autism and his orthodontist, speech therapist and pediatrician are all amazed that he stopped.

You can get The Out of Sync Child, it's all about sensory processing disorder/sensory integration disorder and very informative. It explains the different categories of spd/sid and includes checklists to help you narrow down if your child may have spd/sid and what category.

These are the spikes my sister had...but hers where just on a retainer because she didn't need braces yet. Basically they prevent the thumb from getting far enough in the mouth the suck...I figure my dd will need those in order to stop sucking her tongue.

To the 3 pp's....I hear what you are saying. Our ortho calls it a "thumb guard". It was scheduled to go in and my dd insisited we let her "prove" she could keep her thumb out. Like I said, I saw her slip it in here and there the first week with braces, but dh and I have not seen it afterwards. Granted she could still be sneaking it in....if that's the case I hope it will be revealed to me. We still check on her before we go to bed for the night and do not see her thumb in mouth.

OH/E....I will look into it. I do understand, a little, the spectrum. My dd was diagnosed with add, adhd and odd. Her psychiatrist mentioned that while these are not necessarily outgrown, they can improve with coping techniques and strategies. I've always been concerned that once she stops the thumb she'll "replace" or substitute with another bad habit, ie..smoking or some other extreme behavior.

Thanks.

Sheryl-He diagnosed her with all that and didn't suggest an OT evaluation??? That's clearly warranted, just from those labels. Then add the thumb-sucking, and you definitely want one. Look for someone who does a lot of sensory integration. Get some books from the library and do some reading. The Out of Sync Child is a good place to start. You don't have to wrap your brain around all this. Just open your mind and let the OT help you sort it out. That's what they do. They help you see the physical why's behind the what's you've been seeing.

My dd sucked her thum until 12 when the orthodontist put an appliance in her mouth in preparation for braces. She has braces coming off in a month, so we will see what happens then.

In third grade her teacher encouraged us to get her to stop (she was sucking her thumb at school when she did silent reading). We talked to her about being teased at school and her response was "I don't care. It is so ME!" (she has never lacked self confidence either)

She was our calm child who slept well, etc. Our ds did not suck his thumb and has always been fussy. When they were younger and he would get fussy she would look at him and say "Why don't you just suck your thumb and be quiet?" (Often at those times I would wish that he would do the same!)

I will out myself ;-) I sucked my fingers until I was 11/12. When I got braces it just felt all wrong (my fingers didn't fit in the right places anymore, the braces rubbed against my lips), it totally lost the "comforting" feeling.

When my braces came off, I tried it again, and my teeth were all in the wrong places and it wasn't the same. So, I never sucked my fingers again. Plus, I had to wear a retainer too, and that also didn't really make it feel the same either....

Granted, I don't believe I had any special needs, so I can't comment on any of that...

My DD sucked her thumb until this January. (She was 8.5.) She decided to stop when we heard the news that the orthodontist would charge $1300 to put an appliance in her mouth to stop the sucking. In order to break the habit, she wore gloves to bed for the first six weeks, and we taped the gloves to her pajama sleeves to keep her from taking them off while she was asleep. Now, she was a willing participant in this--I wouldn't recommend tape to any kid who didn't WANT to quit.

The cost of the appliance was a real wake-up call to her, and changed her feelings about quitting.

I will out myself ;-) I sucked my fingers until I was 11/12. When I got braces it just felt all wrong (my fingers didn't fit in the right places anymore, the braces rubbed against my lips), it totally lost the "comforting" feeling.

When my braces came off, I tried it again, and my teeth were all in the wrong places and it wasn't the same. So, I never sucked my fingers again. Plus, I had to wear a retainer too, and that also didn't really make it feel the same either....

Granted, I don't believe I had any special needs, so I can't comment on any of that...

Me too! I got braces when I was 12 and it was the combination of it feeling wrong and knowing I would have to have braces for even longer that stopped me.

In third grade her teacher encouraged us to get her to stop (she was sucking her thumb at school when she did silent reading). We talked to her about being teased at school and her response was "I don't care. It is so ME!" (she has never lacked self confidence either)

This happened to me too. :glare: My witch of a 3rd grade teacher was always trying to shame me in front of the class about it. My mom took care of that pretty quickly!

I did stop for a little while in 1st grade when my dad bribed me with a swing set. I started back up in 3rd grade after a traumatic event (which this teacher knew about) so it was definitely a coping mechanism at the time.

My DS (8) still sucks his thumb. He goes through phases with it. Sometimes it'll only be at night when he's sleeping, and then there are other times when it's almost constant. It's been constant for the past month or so again, and I've just given up trying to bribe him. Nothing works. When I put socks on his hands at night, even when they were taped, he worked out a way to get just his thumb out, and of course that doesn't help when we're driving to a swimming lesson and I look in the mirror and see him sucking away. He does have sensory issues. It's frustrating, but I figure if he goes to camp again this summer, someone is likely to say something that affects him. I'll hate that it will hurt him, but at the same time, if it gets him to stop on his own, that'll be a blessing. DD (5) quit sucking her two middle fingers almost two years ago.

My BIL has a blankie!!! He calls it his "wubby" and it is just a tattered remmnant, but he still sleeps with it at night. He is a successful, well paid business man with a lovely wife and daughter. He owns a house and is by all appearances totally normal. He drinks beer, golfs, fishes, and owns his own boat. Very manly. His friends all know about it, and tease him, but he doesn't care. So no worries!

My BIL has a blankie!!! He calls it his "wubby" and it is just a tattered remmnant, but he still sleeps with it at night. He is a successful, well paid business man with a lovely wife and daughter. He owns a house and is by all appearances totally normal. He drinks beer, golfs, fishes, and owns his own boat. Very manly. His friends all know about it, and tease him, but he doesn't care. So no worries!

Wow!! That's the first time I've EVER heard of a grown-up still sleeping with his blanket!!!! That's encouraging to hear that my son isn't the ONLY one in the world that may end up taking his on his honeymoon, and possibly on through life!!! Sometimes I get worried about it, but there are so many other issues to deal with that this one doesn't get top priority....I just keep hoping he'll outgrow it on his own, someday, on his own timetable, without being forced into....the thumb as well.....I'm 50 and I STILL bite my fingernails and cuticles.....I've never been able to stop in my whole life!!!! It's interesting to read that these are sensory issues....I guess I've got them too, and they passed down to him!!!

one of mine still will sleep with his lovey.

Wow!! That's the first time I've EVER heard of a grown-up still sleeping with his blanket!!!! That's encouraging to hear that my son isn't the ONLY one in the world that may end up taking his on his honeymoon, and possibly on through life!!! Sometimes I get worried about it, but there are so many other issues to deal with that this one doesn't get top priority....I just keep hoping he'll outgrow it on his own, someday, on his own timetable, without being forced into....the thumb as well.....I'm 50 and I STILL bite my fingernails and cuticles.....I've never been able to stop in my whole life!!!! It's interesting to read that these are sensory issues....I guess I've got them too, and they passed down to him!!!

My dd 5.1/2 just quit sucking her fingers...it was really, really hard to do....and would still be sucking if we didn't focus so much on it.

A couple things about her situation, her habit seemed to become worse the older she got. Also, her face was becoming extremely assymetrical and she was developing some severe speech problems that was impacting her ability to read. I did bring her to a SLT and she has dysphragia, tongue thrust disorder (can't remember the name of it), and 19 speech deviations. She is now in speech therapy and she quit sucking the day of the eval.

I think she finally committed to the process because of that testing process and making the connection that the fingers have done ALL that damage! I also threatened the plastic cast thing, lol! Ultimately though, it was in her own decision and will-power. She put the socks on when she knew she needed them...and when she felt like she wanted/needed to suck we replaced the sensory need with chewing gum (which helped a ton!!!!). The SLT said they have sensory sticks (I think that's the name), they are a soft chewy stick for sensory kids. We never ended up needing them though.

My sister had the mouth guard, she was older...it worked for her. I remember her hating it...especially if she got the stomach flu.

Maybe you can get an OT who specializes in sensory integration to help? They could help him work through finding some other coping strategies for those times he feels he needs the thumb.

Lastly, my dd has not learned to put herself to sleep w/o her fingers...she has been up until 1:30am! Just recently I started her on a little Melatonin to help her and it works great. Her first night on it, she fell right asleep and was so happy the next morning to have fallen asleep with everyone else. I am hoping this helps get her body back in rythym.

If we weren't noticing so many other issues I am not sure I would have been so adiment (and we aren't even at braces yet!)....seriously though, these sucking habits cost a ton of money!!! Best wishes!