Menu

S/O of the teenager in any time period thread....80's Tribute!

I remember Kylie but I liked her 'If I should be so lucky..' better than Locomotion.

And I've been a Olivia fan from way back. My favorite of hers is

Back to Clapton - my favorites are his heavy blues stuff and even that stalker song Layla. :D DH is a fan of his Cream era and I like that too but I adore the blues. I think that's why I liked RATT so much - a lot of their stuff was heavy blues. (And probably why I liked Richie Sambora's solo work better than most of his Bon Jovi stuff)

I remember Kylie but I liked her 'If I should be so lucky..' better than Locomotion.

Ah, I didn't know this one. I had to look it up on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnOvjWXhpkI Thanks for bringing it up. :)

And I've been a Olivia fan from way back. My favorite of hers is

I had forgotten that one! lol Thanks for the link. :) Totally Hot was the first album from Olivia that I had (well technically it was my sister's), but I loved her all throughout the 80's.

Back to Clapton - my favorites are his heavy blues stuff and even that stalker song Layla. :D DH is a fan of his Cream era and I like that too but I adore the blues. I think that's why I liked RATT so much - a lot of their stuff was heavy blues. (And probably why I liked Richie Sambora's solo work better than most of his Bon Jovi stuff)

Yeah Layla is a great song. I agree with you about the blues. It's always been one of my favorite genres ever since I was a kid. I listen to ALL kinds of music. Seriously, I will listen to just about anything, but I think where I'm always happiest is listening to blues based rock with (headphones of course. :D)

Here. This is for you. (and me too. Love this song :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZeqwdWoeo&feature=related

And since we're with Steve Winwood I just GOTTA throw in Dear Mr. Fantasy from his Traffic days. :) Love that song. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_nwbTeIN4Y

Man his eyes are like saucers in that video. Dilation Nation! :eek:

I never heard Richie Sambora's solo album. Is it good?

Edited by Ibbygirl

Ah, I didn't know this one. I had to look it up on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnOvjWXhpkI Thanks for bringing it up. :)

I had forgotten that one! lol Thanks for the link. :) Totally Hot was the first album from Olivia that I had (well technically it was my sister's), but I loved her all throughout the 80's.

Yeah Layla is a great song. I agree with you about the blues. It's always been one of my favorite genres ever since I was a kid. I listen to ALL kinds of music. Seriously, I will listen to just about anything, but I think where I'm always happiest is listening to blues based rock with (headphones of course. :D)

Here. This is for you. (and me too. Love this song :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZeqwdWoeo&feature=related

And since we're with Steve Winwood I just GOTTA throw in Dear Mr. Fantasy from his Traffic days. :) Love that song. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_nwbTeIN4Y

Man his eyes are like saucers in that video. Dilation Nation! :eek:

I never heard Richie Sambora's solo album. Is it good?

Thank you! Fast version of Layla only please. DH says the best part of the Clapton concert comes when he appears to be fooling around and then hits the opening riff of Layla....

I love Richie's vocals cause he's got a rough gritty voice. Jon was always too pretty to me. This is my favorite from his first one:

and this has that bluesy feel I love so much:

His second album was a bit too polished to me.

Thank you! Fast version of Layla only please. DH says the best part of the Clapton concert comes when he appears to be fooling around and then hits the opening riff of Layla....

LOL Yes! I saw one video where he was performing live and he was noodling around with the guitar like he was tuning it up and then he started into Layla and the bass player literally jumped he was so startled. It was so funny. hehehe

I love Richie's vocals cause he's got a rough gritty voice. Jon was always too pretty to me.

I know exactly what you mean. I used to have such a crush on him back in the day. Everyone else loved Jon, and granted he's a cutie, but I liked Richie best. I remember watching interviews with them on MTV and VH1 and I would just die when Richie would talk. :) lol

This is my favorite from his first one:

and this has that bluesy feel I love so much:

His second album was a bit too polished to me.

These are great! Thank you so much for sharing them. I'd never heard his solo work. I love the break that he gets in his voice when he sings. I think I'm going to buy this album. :) Thanks so much for the recommendation. :) yeah, I'm diggin that blues guitar too in the second song. :) Sweet. He looks like he's channeling Stevie Ray with that hat and that guitar. :D lol

I know exactly what you mean. I used to have such a crush on him back in the day. Everyone else loved Jon, and granted he's a cutie, but I liked Richie best. I remember watching interviews with them on MTV and VH1 and I would just die when Richie would talk. :) lol

These are great! Thank you so much for sharing them. I'd never heard his solo work. I love the break that he gets in his voice when he sings. I think I'm going to buy this album. :) Thanks so much for the recommendation. :) yeah, I'm diggin that blues guitar too in the second song. :) Sweet. He looks like he's channeling Stevie Ray with that hat and that guitar. :D lol

He's adorable. Jon's hair was always better than mine and I just didn't dig that at all. LOL!

There are some videos of him with his daughter and he is a doting Dad, obviously.

You're welcome! I have the first album on my Ipod. I can't wait for the 'Back When We Were Beautiful' DVD to come out -it's got a lot of behind the scenes stuff in it.

He's adorable. Jon's hair was always better than mine and I just didn't dig that at all. LOL!

:lol::lol::lol:

There are some videos of him with his daughter and he is a doting Dad, obviously.

You're welcome! I have the first album on my Ipod. I can't wait for the 'Back When We Were Beautiful' DVD to come out -it's got a lot of behind the scenes stuff in it.

That sounds awesome. When is it due to release?

As if you needed this info...yes I have the soul of a geek but feel safe here to admit it. I LOOOOOVE RUSH. Yes we have the movie that recently came out. Yes I have seen them. More than once. That's all I am willing to admit to.

My husband LOVES Rush!!! I never really got it, maybe because he was a product of the 80's?? I love the 80's too, but I was born in '74, so I remember more of the late 80's as part of my "hey day" ;)

I can't believe I missed this thread!! I am the one who started the original that this one spun off of :)

okay, back to some pop here for you pop princesses :) I've always loved Cyndi Lauper. She was just so wonderfully weird and marching to the beat of her own drum. Her videos were always so bright and colorful and ran the gamut from fun and whimsical to pulling on your heart strings. Enjoy. :)

I don't know. It's on Showtime right now & I'm trying to resist adding the channel for a month so I can see it.:tongue_smilie:

Bummer. I don't have cable. So Showtime owns the production then or they are just showing it? I wonder if it can be found on amazon or something.

My husband LOVES Rush!!! I never really got it, maybe because he was a product of the 80's?? I love the 80's too, but I was born in '74, so I remember more of the late 80's as part of my "hey day" ;)

:) No worries, I'm going to put up some Duran Duran soon. That should cover your hey day. ;) :D lol

I can't believe I missed this thread!! I am the one who started the original that this one spun off of :)

LOL Threads get buried quick around here. Well, welcome then. Sit back and enjoy. :)

I LOOOOVED Duran Duran...

Hungry Like the Wolf

Wild Boys

And Culture Club

Time - Clock of the Heart

Ibby, as far as the Bon Jovi thing? I just found it on Amazon - packaged with The Circle CD. It's going to be on it's way to my house shortly!

Ibby, as far as the Bon Jovi thing? I just found it on Amazon - packaged with The Circle CD. It's going to be on it's way to my house shortly!

You got it! Awesome! :hurray: :party: Let me know how you like it when it arrives. I may spring for it as well. :) I'm a sucker for rockumentaries. :D

I LOOOOVED Duran Duran...

Hungry Like the Wolf

Wild Boys

And Culture Club

Time - Clock of the Heart

I see your Hungry Like the wolf and wild boys and raise you a Rio and a Girl's on Film. HA! Take that! And I'll even throw in a Save a Prayer. :D hehe

Girls on Film

Would you believe I still have a magazine from back then? It was on the "New British Invasion" and it was full of color pics of Duran Duran.

Edited by Ibbygirl

I'm glad to see Billy Idol up there...I almost broke my leg more than once running down the stairs to see his videos!!!! We were in a small town on the west coast and didn't get Mtv til the end of my high school years.

My sister and I about wore out the vinyl on our Total Eclipse single....yes, I clearly remember walking to the store to buy the latest single for the record player. I must have blocked out the video because that is definitely creepy!!!

My best friend and I had the biggest crush on the blonde Mtv guy....Alan Hunter????

Loved the rotary phone clip....we actually had a party line at one point with the rotary phone!!!! We had a one screen theatre and childrens movies were an after thought....not the franchised cash cow of today. I try and explain to my children how you had to stand in line to buy the ticket and then move to the other side of the building to stand in line to get in. Or that my sister and I were the "remote" for their Grandpa when he wanted to see what else was on the whopping 4 channels we got (one super fuzzy). Anyone else have a Beta player??? Remember all the excitement when VCRs came out???

Children today just don't know how lucky they are.....

I'm glad to see Billy Idol up there...I almost broke my leg more than once running down the stairs to see his videos!!!! We were in a small town on the west coast and didn't get Mtv til the end of my high school years.

My sister and I about wore out the vinyl on our Total Eclipse single....yes, I clearly remember walking to the store to buy the latest single for the record player. I must have blocked out the video because that is definitely creepy!!!

My best friend and I had the biggest crush on the blonde Mtv guy....Alan Hunter????

Loved the rotary phone clip....we actually had a party line at one point with the rotary phone!!!! We had a one screen theatre and childrens movies were an after thought....not the franchised cash cow of today. I try and explain to my children how you had to stand in line to buy the ticket and then move to the other side of the building to stand in line to get in. Or that my sister and I were the "remote" for their Grandpa when he wanted to see what else was on the whopping 4 channels we got (one super fuzzy). Anyone else have a Beta player??? Remember all the excitement when VCRs came out???

Children today just don't know how lucky they are.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Did you use to have the tin foil on the rabbit ear antennae? We did. I remember having to hold it sometimes while my parents finished a show because the only way the image came in clear was if someone was holding it. lol

Thanks for sharing your stories. :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Did you use to have the tin foil on the rabbit ear antennae? We did. I remember having to hold it sometimes while my parents finished a show because the only way the image came in clear was if someone was holding it. lol

Thanks for sharing your stories. :)

YES! We had the tinfoil and I remember many nights of holding it to watch The Midnight Special. :tongue_smilie:

BTW, Ibby, that Bon Jovi 'The Circle'/'When We Were Beautiful' doc combo from Amazon is well worth ten bucks. The Doc was great. I think I love Richie more than ever and have a mini crush on Tico. Too much Jon for my taste though.

YES! We had the tinfoil and I remember many nights of holding it to watch The Midnight Special. :tongue_smilie:

Oh man, it would be worth it to watch Midnight Special! Everybody was on that show! It's amazing when you look back just how many of the artists who were on that show went on to major stardom. I wish we had shows like that again. sniff.

BTW, Ibby, that Bon Jovi 'The Circle'/'When We Were Beautiful' doc combo from Amazon is well worth ten bucks. The Doc was great. I think I love Richie more than ever and have a mini crush on Tico. Too much Jon for my taste though.

YES! I was waiting for your update on the DVD. I'm going to get it. Thanks so much for getting back to me on it. :) Looks like you got it really fast too. Props to amazon. :)

I wanted to add a few more Billy Idol songs because I had a feeling I had missed some before so I did some searching through his discography and sure enough I did. How could I have missed White Wedding!!?? smacks forehead. Anyhoo, enjoy. :) The last song is a new one, but there are lots of great images from the 80's and the song is cool so I'm including it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
It's easy to forget that, in the first flush of making music videos, while there was a lot of creative experimentation and energy as '80's bands tried to figure out what a video should look like, there were also some disasters. Remember these?

Safety Dance

Morris dancers! Whee!

Whip It

I would fall dead with shame if my teenager were ever to learn that I had voluntarily watched this video.

Total Eclipse of the Heart

If that last one was too much for you, be sure to check out Total Eclipse of the Heart: literal version. Really. (Warning: some content.) And if you're mathy at all, you absolutely must hear this mnemonic for L'Hopital's Rule.

Altogether, these are some of the most embarrasing music videos ever created. Ah, the nostalgia.

Okay, you finally got me on these. I've been reading this thread but skipping all the links to the music videos. The first two cracked me up. But that last one--are those really the words?????

For all you Farrah headed girls, I just want you to know that there were some of us back in the 80's who truly suffered. No amount of hairspray or cool haircuts was going to make my curly hair look like Farrah's. Or any other cool 80's do. Big hair? Sure, I could do it. But huge curly hair wasn't in. Just saying. You know, if I can find any pictures I'll post them, but I never got to look like Charlies Angels.:D

For all you Farrah headed girls, I just want you to know that there were some of us back in the 80's who truly suffered. No amount of hairspray or cool haircuts was going to make my curly hair look like Farrah's. Or any other cool 80's do. Big hair? Sure, I could do it. But huge curly hair wasn't in. Just saying. You know, if I can find any pictures I'll post them, but I never got to look like Charlies Angels.:D

:) Gilda Radner made big hair cool with Rosanne Rosanna Danna. :D ;)

I never really wanted to look like Roseanne Roseanna Danna.:tongue_smilie: Cool? Maybe.....but not someone anyone at my school wanted to date.

LOL There was a teacher in my elementary school, Ms. Cohen, who had a HUGE perfectly round afro! hehehehe Those were fun days. hehe

• 2 weeks later...
It's easy to forget that, in the first flush of making music videos, while there was a lot of creative experimentation and energy as '80's bands tried to figure out what a video should look like, there were also some disasters. Remember these?

Safety Dance

Morris dancers! Whee!

Oh man, I loved the Safety Dance song! Loved to dance to it too! (Listening to it again, just now. Yep, just as good now as it was then. :))

I just wanted to post that while we were at my dd's for spring break my older dds told the 14 year old looked like she just fell out of the '80s. She didn't make a conscious effort to do so but I have to agree she kind of does.

ROFL That's hilarious! Yeah, I see that a lot of 80's fashion is coming back again. :confused: Why, I don't know.

I can't believe I missed this thread originally. The early 80's I was obsessed with Rick Springfield (I saw him in concert last week- woot!) and mid to end of the 80's it was all Bon Jovi, all the time.......and all the other hair bands.

I can't believe I missed this thread originally. The early 80's I was obsessed with Rick Springfield (I saw him in concert last week- woot!) and mid to end of the 80's it was all Bon Jovi, all the time.......and all the other hair bands.

Woot! Thanks for sharing. :)