Menu

Need great read alouds for 5yr old boys w/ older sibs

brownie

DS8 and ds10 are voracious readers...ds5 not so much. Between the age gap, and ds5's lesser interest level, it is hard to find read alouds to please all 3 children.

This week we listened to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and all 3 loved it (though it was a repeat for the older 2). What other books out there would appeal to all 3 boys? I already have all the Dahl books piled up and ready to go :)

Brownie

I read The Hobbit to my kids at ages 5 and 3. Maybe they are weird, but they LOVED it. It was our little shared adventure. We've reread it since as they're older ad its still a favorite.

At ages 7, 5, and 3 I read the kids The BFG, which they also LOVED. I made a point of really putting a voice to the BFG's speaking parts, and they thought that was great.

Some I've recently read to my 10, 8, 5, and 3 yo boys that all liked:

Mr. Popper's Penguins

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Pippi Longstocking (actually, my 10yo didn't care for this, but it's short, and he listened)

The Little House books

The Indian in the Cupboard. I couldn't believe it when it mostly held my son's interest when he was either just about to turn 5 or a very new 5. My 10 year old daughter also really enjoyed it. And it's a series, so if they like the first one, there are a few more you can read. :)

The Indian in the Cupboard. I couldn't believe it when it mostly held my son's interest when he was either just about to turn 5 or a very new 5. My 10 year old daughter also really enjoyed it. And it's a series, so if they like the first one, there are a few more you can read. :)

Oooh, yes. And along similar lines, The Castle in the Attic series.

We just finished The Jungle Book last night and my 6yo (who was 5 when we started) and husband both *loved* it. The other two liked some of the stories, but didn't get into it as much.

We all loved the Just So Stories, though.

Going to try something a little easier on mom, Mr. Popper's Penguins is up next!

ETA: I loved The Jungle Book too, the literary quality makes it more difficult to read with superior word choice and style. My jaw was sore after reading, but it was worth it!

Little Britches by Ralph Moody come to mind.

A couple of my favorite resources for locating books are...

"Honey for a Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt

"The Read Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease

"How to Grow a Young Reader" by Kathryn Lindskoog

"Raising Bookworms" by Emma Walton Hammilton

Happy Reading!;)