Menu

Canadian TV -- what's good?

DaVinci's Inquest was great (but not DaVinci's City Hall -- snooze fest). I just love Nicholas Campbell, though. North of 60 is set in the Aboriginal North. It was also very, very good. Sanctuary (current) is a sci-fi drama that is wicked good. I think it has been picked up for another season.

Corner Gas (no longer in production, but still in re-runs) and Little Mosque on the Prairie (current) are good and funny. I also like Dan for Mayor and, to a lesser extent, Hiccups. Both star cast from Corner Gas. Being Erica is very good, too -- a cross of comedy and drama. I also like Men with Brooms, but I wouldn't call it necessarily good -- unless you really, really like curling and small towns and curling in small towns. Repulic of Doyle is a new comedy/drama. I've only seen a few episodes so far. I'm still on the fence on that one. All of these are current shows.

Robson Arms ran for a while. It wasn't a series per se, more of an anthology. It was very good and had lots of Canadian actors popping in to various episodes.

Rick Mercer cracks me up to no end. His is a weekly news/politics/social commentary show.

Both Blood Ties and The Bridge were pretty good police dramas, but neither ran very long. Flashpoint, in the same category, is still current.

For pure eye candy (Paul Gross) and easy plots Due South is a great one. I know you can get the whole series on DVD. If you like watching insanely handsome, if somewhat socially naive, Mounties always doing the right thing, this is the show for you. :D The plotlines start to wander in later seasons, but hey... you still get to look at Paul Gross.

Some older family shows are: Emily of New Moon, Road to Avonlea and the classic Anne of Green Gables. Even older, but still so kitchsy good and on DVD is The Littlest Hobo, Canada's (better) answer to Lassie.

There are also tons of Canadian cartoon series for kids that are very good, too.

Edited by Audrey

Audrey, I see your Littlest Hobo and raise you King of Kensington. :)

Hmmm... King of Kensington was good, but it never made me tear up at the end of every episode like when the theme music rolls and you watch the Hobo trot off. Just writing it makes me tear up!

Thanks, now I have some to look up.

Is Mr. Dress up still on??? I'm familiar with Anne of Green Gables (older, so I was still living in Canada.)

For the person who asked, shows I've liked include (we only get network stations):

Flashpoint, even though they killed off one of the two eye candy actors in the third season (Canadian,which shows in the States, too, so I have been able to watch it and I'm surprised that no one watches, but perhaps that's because it's now on Fridays)

Becker it was very funny, but didn't last long enough

Fraser was very funny for years, alhtough not so much at the end

Alias because I watched the first one and got into the characters, not because it was great television

Keeping Up Appearances (but I don't like most British sit coms)

Pride and Predudice (but NOT so much the one with Colin Firth as I'm too much of a purist with this book, and I like the one with David Rintoul as Mr. Darcy)

Poldark (that's probably too old for many of you, but was on Masterpiece Theatre when I was in late high school)

There are other shows I've liked, but either I can't think of them right now or they didn't last long enough due to this new system where good shows are yanked before they can garner enough viewers.

For pure eye candy (Paul Gross) and easy plots Due South is a great one. I know you can get the whole series on DVD. If you like watching insanely handsome, if somewhat socially naive, Mounties always doing the right thing, this is the show for you. :D The plotlines start to wander in later seasons, but hey... you still get to look at Paul Gross.

And Paul Gross is eye candy that ages well. ;)

You can see for yourself in Slings & Arrows. As I mentioned in another thread recently, DH swears this is the best TV show ever, in any country. Paul Gross, slightly crazy, quoting Shakespeare.

My only hesitation with recommending this show is that you must be able to tolerate strong language. I'm not a fan of it, myself, but the rewards of this show made me happy I put up with the language.

And both Rays are pretty nice to look at, too, in their own ways. As is, of course, the wolf.