Menu

The best is enemy of the good

Perfectionism didn't affect my home educating but has always got in the way of my housework. I'd work my way round the house, meticulously cleaning a room or so each day, but the house always looked messy because there was this spectrum of trashed to pristine. Browsing Flylady yesterday, I finally realised that there is another way: feather dust and vacuum (without moving all the furniture) the whole house once a week, then - when I have time - work on the deep cleaning over a month. This is so obvious, but I just couldn't see it.

So this morning I lightly cleaned the whole house (apart from the sitting room and front hall, which I had deep cleaned earlier in the week), did my weekly clean of the bathrooms, and it was done! The house looks so much better! I've got lots of decluttering to do, but I can approach that gradually now that the house feels under control.

My mother has no interest in housework - I just remember her blitzing a room every now and then when the carpet threatened to disappear. I didn't learn good habits and then spent years in Asia with household help. Perhaps, at the age of 47, I will this year learn to look after the house.

Laura

Perfectionism didn't affect my home educating but has always got in the way of my housework. I'd work my way round the house, meticulously cleaning a room or so each day, but the house always looked messy because there was this spectrum of trashed to pristine. Browsing Flylady yesterday, I finally realised that there is another way: feather dust and vacuum (without moving all the furniture) the whole house once a week, then - when I have time - work on the deep cleaning over a month. This is so obvious, but I just couldn't see it.

So this morning I lightly cleaned the whole house (apart from the sitting room and front hall, which I had deep cleaned earlier in the week), did my weekly clean of the bathrooms, and it was done! The house looks so much better! I've got lots of decluttering to do, but I can approach that gradually now that the house feels under control.

My mother has no interest in housework - I just remember her blitzing a room every now and then when the carpet threatened to disappear. I didn't learn good habits and then spent years in Asia with household help. Perhaps, at the age of 47, I will this year learn to look after the house.

Laura

This is awesome! Way to go, Laura!

Now that I am no longer home schooling I am redirecting my focus toward our home. While I am not a flylady "groupie," I do think she provides sound advice in many areas, and conquering our tendencies toward perfectionism really resonates with me as well!

May you have continued success as you declutter. That's where I am right now, too.

:party: You go, girl!