Menu

The Sword of Shannara trilolgy for a 5th grader?

My ds11 reads far ahead of his age bracket and has run out of books. He just finished the Percy Jackson series and wants more. DH has about 2000 sci-fi/fantasy books and was looking through to see what ds might be able to read. He does not remember anything inappropriate in the Terry Brooks books but wanted me to ask here first. The last time he and I read this series we did not have children and therefore didn't read it with the parental-filter on. ;)

I do not like any sexual stuff, vampire grossness or bad language. He's not easily put off by scary bad monsters and loves fighting and dragons. Will this series be ok for him? I honestly don't have time to pre-read these for him and it would be at least 2 weeks before DH can take time to do so. Cabin fever is bad right now and and having a giant book for him to read will help. :D

This kid wears me out with his reading. It was so exciting when we realized he was going to be a voracious reader (DH and I were both this way as children) but it's difficult to find books at his reading level that do not have adult themes in them. Thank you for any input! :)

The last time I read any of the Shannara books was 20+ years ago.

I don't recall them having s3xual content or much bad language. Definitely I don't remember any vampires in them.

What I do remember is that the bad guys were pretty scary, and described as such. Some violence, gruesomeness, etc. and some generally dark parts.

Maybe it's time for a re-read, since I suspect my dc will soon notice the Shannara books on the basement bookshelf and ask to read them. But I hope someone else has read them recently and is more sure of the contents than I am!

The last time I read any of the Shannara books was 20+ years ago.

I don't recall them having s3xual content or much bad language. Definitely I don't remember any vampires in them.

What I do remember is that the bad guys were pretty scary, and described as such. Some violence, gruesomeness, etc. and some generally dark parts.

Maybe it's time for a re-read, since I suspect my dc will soon notice the Shannara books on the basement bookshelf and ask to read them. But I hope someone else has read them recently and is more sure of the contents than I am!

Eww yeah I don't want gruesome stuff. Maybe I should take a quick read through parts of it tomorrow and see if I can spot those. Unless someone else can confirm this for me?? :)

Thank you for the input so far.

I did re-read the first two not too long ago and I don't remember anything worse than scary monsters in them.

How about the Lord of the Rings trilogy? Or start with the Hobbit? Do you have anything by Diane Duane - especially her "Young Wizards" series? Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer?

Here are some of the series I have on our (over-stuffed) bookshelves that would all be ok for my kids (ages 9-19)

Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull

Alchemyst series by Michael Scott

Lost Years of Merlin by TA Barron

Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagan

Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede

Wrinkle in Time by M. Engle

Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis

Magyck Chronicles by Angie Sage (Septimus Heap)

Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper

Leven Thumps by o. Skye

Redwall Series by B. Jacques

Any of the older Heinlein teen books

Hunted Earth series by Roger macbride Allen

Giants novels by James Hogan

I did re-read the first two not too long ago and I don't remember anything worse than scary monsters in them.

How about the Lord of the Rings trilogy? Or start with the Hobbit? Do you have anything by Diane Duane - especially her "Young Wizards" series? Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer?

Here are some of the series I have on our (over-stuffed) bookshelves that would all be ok for my kids (ages 9-19)

Alchemyst series by Michael Scott

Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede

Leven Thumps by o. Skye

Thank you for this! He has read some of these but not all and I believe DH has some of them upstairs. I appreciate your assessment of the book and will put these others on the list of "to read". :)

Obviously every family has totally different standards when it comes to this sort of thing, but I would wait on the Landover series til my son was older. It had more mature themes in terms of emotional/adult issues. Not necessarily sexual, but his wife (and baby? I think - it's been a while) dying etc.

The original Shannara series was more straightforward adventure/fantasy - definitely LOTR knock off type.

don't get me wrong - I loved the Landover books, but I wouldn't have my 10/11 yo read them. But check it out yourself, you might be fine with it.

Jen

How about the Lord of the Rings trilogy? Or start with the Hobbit? Do you have anything by Diane Duane - especially her "Young Wizards" series? Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer? :iagree:

Alchemyst series by Michael Scott :iagree:

:iagree:Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede

Leven Thumps by o. Skye

We have similar bookshelves. :)

I was a huge Heinlein fan but there is a whole lot of sexuality in most of them as I recall..

The Sister's Grimm series is fun

I didn't like the Shannara series because they were just so completely ripped from the LOTR trilogy for me.

I loved Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series but don't recall content enough to say they would be safe.

This was a great blog post a friend shared with me, lots of these are on it. http://www.fromthemixedupfiles.com/2011/01/a-fantastical-middle-grade-monday/?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d46caccf0b9cc0d%2C0

There is nothing in Terry Brooks that is worse than Lord of the Rings. It's been a bit since I've read The Sword of Shannara, but I just read one of his short stories, about Jair, from The Wishsong of Shannara. Terry Brooks is one of my all time favorites and I wouldn't have a problem letting my kids read him, if they were interested.

I didn't like the Shannara series because they were just so completely ripped from the LOTR trilogy for me.

Lizzie, if you are interested, try reading his Running With The Demon trilogy. I agree the original Shannara trilogy seems ripped from LOTR, but the Demon trilogy will change your mind. The first of that trilogy, Running With The Demon is Terry Brooks best book of all time. (IMHO :tongue_smilie:)

I love that I can come here for book suggestions. Very few of my IRL friends have children the age of my ds who like to read.

He started the first book today. He loves it already and noticed the LoTR simiarities as well but for him, it's just a fun read. He'll probably get picky as he gets older. :)

My 11 yr old just finished The Hunger Games trilogy. I don't know how you feel about those. None of my kids have ever been 'grade level' in reading. It's not always easy keeping them in books.

I think Artemis Fowl might be of interest to him. Also, The Mysterious Benedict Society. My youngest read those when she was 9/10, so I don't know. They are well written.

I agree about LotR. Those were a hit here at about that age.

• 4 months later...
Lizzie, if you are interested, try reading his Running With The Demon trilogy. I agree the original Shannara trilogy seems ripped from LOTR, but the Demon trilogy will change your mind. The first of that trilogy, Running With The Demon is Terry Brooks best book of all time. (IMHO :tongue_smilie:)

Thanks! I'll check it out. :)