Menu

Where can I find this font?

desertmum

Hello. As I'm thinking about a handwriting curriculum for my little astronaut I came across this page:

http://practicalpages.wordpress.com/handwriting-pages/cursive-handwriting/

I love this cursive! Has anyone seen this font before? Where can I find something similar online?

This home schooling mum chose to do her own laminated pages instead of buying a handwriting curriculum. It didn't occur to me I could do this!

:bigear:

Well, handwriting without tears 3rd grade cursive is similar and would work to start.... and then after a couple of years or whatever ... move into this. The program.... for everything was under $20 and I have to say... worth it. Good instruction for how to get the letters to be formed well. If you wanted to do it exactly like this, I would just print it off and laminate those pages. BUT, especially with a child that was four, I would order up the workbooks. They worked on "how" to do things like hold your pencil correctly. (Took less than 5 minutes to get what I had tried for... for over 2 years...)

Some differences would be... instead of practicing with the end of the a coming back out to the line, the child takes the end of the a and just draws it out with the base line...

:)

Thank you for the suggestions. I also looked at Bob Jones handwriting that has got pre-cursive and then moves on to cursive. I saw handwriting without tears but I have tried to make a funny looking "G" and "Q" like that for years without success. Basically I am looking for a no-frills cursive that can satisfy a perfectionist boy. I know I am asking a lot but ds is trying to write on his own and don't want to put him "on hold". :blushing:

I'm thinking the font you showed is very similar to New American Cursive by Memoria Press, but I'm not sure if you are looking for something you can print out yourself instead of a workbook. I know shipping can be an issue outside the US.

And keep in mind that you can always just teach your own version of a capital letter if you like most everything else about a particular font. It may be a little bit of a hassle, but capitals are used less often anyway (if it isn't one of the child's initials). So just show him how you like to make your G. :001_smile:

Hello. As I'm thinking about a handwriting curriculum for my little astronaut I came across this page:

http://practicalpages.wordpress.com/handwriting-pages/cursive-handwriting/

I love this cursive! Has anyone seen this font before? Where can I find something similar online?

This home schooling mum chose to do her own laminated pages instead of buying a handwriting curriculum. It didn't occur to me I could do this!

:bigear:

This looks similar to D'Nealian as well...

I learnt to write like that (almost exactly). I don't think any of the American cursive styles are quite like it. That is more a British style of writing.

Cursive writing books published in India are very similar to that style. You can buy them from Flipkart.com or Infibeam.com. For samples, see Vikas and Dreamland.

HTH

Edited by nansk

I learnt to write like that (almost exactly). I don't think any of the American cursive styles are quite like it. That is more a British style of writing.

Cursive writing books published in India are very similar to that style. You can buy them from Flipkart.com or Infibeam.com. For samples, see Vikas and Dreamland.

HTH

You're right :) The little "Thai guy" we take care of .... found one of his mom's books and taught himself cursive. The only difference is that his letters like "k" and "b" have little loops on part of them... (not on the stem... kinda where the "k" looks like it has a sideways "v"....)

if you are wanting to make your own, try

dafonts script and or handwriting fonts, free and fun

Thanks for the link!

I'm thinking the font you showed is very similar to New American Cursive by Memoria Press, but I'm not sure if you are looking for something you can print out yourself instead of a workbook. I know shipping can be an issue outside the US.

And keep in mind that you can always just teach your own version of a capital letter if you like most everything else about a particular font. It may be a little bit of a hassle, but capitals are used less often anyway (if it isn't one of the child's initials). So just show him how you like to make your G. :001_smile:

I like New American Cursive. It is really expensive through amazon.co.uk

I don't know where to find it, but it totally looks like my grandmother's handwriting!

You don't make me feel half-old! This is how I write :tongue_smilie:

You don't make me feel half-old! This is how I write :tongue_smilie:

It's because, at least in America, schools stopped teaching cursive, before print about 80 years ago.... (although now some are teaching them again.)

I believe it's actually much better to do cursive before print, developmentally. Also, people tend to go back to whatever way they were taught to write, first.

Around here, they also provide workbooks to children so that they can "see" how the letters should look. But, they most often do not instruct and insist that the children form them correctly. So, handwriting is more ill-formed and messy as the years go by.

:)