Menu

I just have to share with someone before I bust.

I'm so excited...our daugter is getting ready to have our first grandbaby any day. :D I just wish I was there.

We found out that we will be moving to Washington, DC for a great job for dh. We lived years ago on Fort Meade, MD, but would love to live in a great house out in the country. Any ideas?

How much culture shock can I expect to have coming back to the states after 6 1/2 years in Europe?

Thanks! :001_smile:

Congrats!

Where in DC will he be working? And how long of a commute does he want? That will determine where you should live :)

My DH works at Office of Naval Intelligence, which is on the outskirts of DC. At the end of Penn. Ave. actually. If we wanted to buy a house in the "country" and did not have to worry about being close to stuff, or good schools...... we would TOTALLY get a house in Upper Marlboro. There is this GORGEOUS area around Croom Rd. It's TOTALLY rural and you would NEVER guess that DC is close by. Houses there are very affordable for this area. The whole "country" area extends down to Brandywine, Waldorf, LaPlata, etc. Maryland. We looked at houses there, we LOVED it, but in the end.... it was too far away from Trader Joes, Whole Foods, the private school we eventually want to send DS to for high school, etc.

If he works in Northern DC area, you could move to parts of VA or even Frederick, MD area. It really depends on what your DH is comfortable with for a commute :)

Around here near Ft. Meade, there is a "small" area of Millersville, Crowsnville and Davidsonville that I consider "country" in the burbs :) That is where I want to buy our "forever" house ;)

Sorry, I don't know much about the Virginia side. I drove through it multiple times when we were job/house hunting.... but I just did not like VA as much as I did MD.....