Menu

Pulling child out of PS mid-year in CA??

My friend just pulled her daughter out of PS to homeschool. She thought she had to immediately sign up with a charter or ISP run by her school district. She would prefer to homeschool on her own which I told her she could do. I file my own affidavit every year but the filing period has passed. I can't find anything on what, if any, requirements there are when you pull them out mid-year. She was a former school teacher so she might still have an active credential which would give her the tutor/teacher exception to filing the affidavit. I could call HSLDA for her but I thought I'd ask here first. Any ideas/experiences?

YOu can file at anytime. The deadline is for filing if you start in Sept. In other words, if you don't meet that Oct deadline and you have already been hsing, you are out of compliance.

However, if you pull a child out mid-year, you would file THEN.

Dawn

My friend just pulled her daughter out of PS to homeschool. She thought she had to immediately sign up with a charter or ISP run by her school district. She would prefer to homeschool on her own which I told her she could do. I file my own affidavit every year but the filing period has passed. I can't find anything on what, if any, requirements there are when you pull them out mid-year. She was a former school teacher so she might still have an active credential which would give her the tutor/teacher exception to filing the affidavit. I could call HSLDA for her but I thought I'd ask here first. Any ideas/experiences?

I am thinking she files R-4 now for this year and refiles in Oct. for the next school year. I signed up with Julian Charter (I don't recommend them, BTW) when I started hsing.

Yes, file the form now.

We filed the first time in mid December when we moved from AZ to CA. You have some shortish, maybe two weeks?, period to file when your schooling situation changes. I filed about a week after we moved in. She would have that period of time to file the form too.

I've been homeschooling in Ca for about 11 years, and Julian Charter was around when we started, it's been around for a while. I have 3 kids in Sky Mountain charter and 1 highschooler in RiverSprings- both are homeschool charters.

I homeschool a friend's son, she pulled him out after Spring break, she filed the the R4 right away- and then the next school year we placed him in the charter- our reasons for the charter for him had to do with him receiving special ed at his school, I was worried we would have problems with the old public school, but we had no problems.

It's very easy to homeschool in Ca, you don't have to use a charter. Ca homeschool network has a great website and yahoo group with lots of information and help.

Thanks to you all!

LG- We must be close to each other because I've heard about Julian Charter before. I'm curious why you didn't like it. I, personally don't use a charter but get asked quite often about them and it's always good to hear actual feedback. I think it started a couple of years ago, right?

I am north of North County, 'round the Temecula area.

Julian Charter isn't very flexible. The EF I had knew nothing of WTM or how to implement it. Anyway, too much paperwork. I don't care to follow CA standards. Every time I mention that I didn't like Julian in homeschool circles, people chime in with, "Me, too!".

I am with the Classical Academy. We like our school a whole lot. I understand you are not asking about a homeschool charter. It's funny that my school even though it is a public school there are lots of Christian teachers and at least mine knows about WTM. I also got a lot of freedom using any curriculum I want, as long as the sample I turn in is secular and as long as the student tests out fine.

There is a yahoo group called San Diego Homeducation. I know a few people who has done R4 from the start are active in that group. If you post a question there, I am sure you will get a lot of information. Otherwise, let me know and I can hook you up with one of them.

Edited by cylau