Menu

hymn singing

Hunter

Does anyone sing hymns at home?

Rainbow Resource has a book and 5CD set called Home Discipleship Hymnbook. Does anyone know about any reviews of it?

Hymns have simple melodies to learn to read music. They are great examples of poetry. They rhymes can be used for phonics lessons. Biography study for the composers and even a bit of geography and history.

I can't sing at ALL! I could use some suggestions on a hymnbook and CDs.

Any ideas for some arts and crafts extensions? Listening to music and doing art go together like peanut butter and jelly.

We sing hymns! We learn them one verse (or so) a week, which is generally a hymn a month. My favorite resource is Hymns for Kith and Kin and the Trinity Hymnal. It is $30 for the two together. The CD is piano accompaniment only, with no singing. This forces us to learn the words ourselves.

The family who produces it also has a learn to sing in 4 parts program, but I haven't used it.

I also like the Hymns for a Kids Heart series. Each book comes with a CD for the hymns in the book. It has the music and a short story & devotional on the hymn.

I put the music on my mp3 player and choose the hymn and play it while we sing. It works really well.

I love the old hymns. I sing them when I have my devotions. I use The Baptist Hymnal that I got from Family Christian back when it was still The Baptist Bookstore many, many, many moons ago. I love it because it is organized so that you can find hymns by Bible verse, by theme, by Person of the Trinity, by title, by first line and by the hymn's author. It's a substantial book and it wasn't expensive (when I bought it) and it has all of my favorites in there as well as some new ones that have become my favorites after using it. It's wonderful. :)

We sing hymns, but not in a really structured way :). We have the Kids Hymnal DVD - around $10. It has 80 songs, not all are hymns, some are Sunday school type songs, some are choruses, some are based on scripture etc.

You can get the hymnals too (we have 2) and the CDs (don't have them). I figure 80 is manageable for my little ones to learn over their school years :). They put the DVD in - they ASK for it, we call it "Jesus Songs Time", then we sing and dance - they can get a bit wild actually.

My 7 year old is picking up a LOT, even though it's so informal. They really like "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms". Not all my favorites are in there, but there are some great ones!

The Genevan Foundation products look like just what I need to learn to sing. The website is a bit confusing though :-(

I'm not sure whether I want to start with the Psalter or the hymnal. Am I still missing some products or is there just one 10 hymn CD for the Hymnal, but 3 10 Psalm CDs for the Psalter?

I guess I'm a soprano :-0 I read the online article and it was helpful. I feel like I'm stuck between soprano and alto. Can you be in the middle? I guess you just force yourself into the closest?

I really like the Rod and Staff materials for music reading and hymn singing. I grew up in the same town where Rod and Staff is published, surrounded by Mennonites, and one of the things that always amazed me when I went to church with my Mennonite friends (or just at their houses, after dinner) was how well everyone sang. And after seeing the Rod and Staff materials that are used for teaching music, I knew why. There is a bit of a learning curve in using them, unless you were raised on shape notes and solfege, but the results are wonderful, and transfer very, very easily to traditional notation. The Mennonite hymnal is a nice set of fairly traditional hymns.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I really like the Rod and Staff materials for music reading and hymn singing. I grew up in the same town where Rod and Staff is published, surrounded by Mennonites, and one of the things that always amazed me when I went to church with my Mennonite friends (or just at their houses, after dinner) was how well everyone sang. And after seeing the Rod and Staff materials that are used for teaching music, I knew why. There is a bit of a learning curve in using them, unless you were raised on shape notes and solfege, but the results are wonderful, and transfer very, very easily to traditional notation. The Mennonite hymnal is a nice set of fairly traditional hymns.

:iagree: This system is very close to the way we sing hymns. I was raised in an a capella Church of Christ (don't use instruments in worship, sing in 4 part harmony) and I have taught my children to sing hymns that way at home.

If you have no experience at all, I recommend the R&S curriculum.

I use a 'moveable do' system. We learn the do scale backwards, forwards, intervals, etc. We begin with harmony right after that, using the simplest arrangements from our shape-note hymnal.

I sit with each child and teach them to sing the names of the shapes. Then we sing the words. Then I have two sing their parts together, and add the others one at a time until we are all singing together.

My 10yo is our tenor :lol: He is super cute! My 14yo sings bass, my 12yo sings alto, and the 6yo and I sing soprano.

I think this has been so effortless for us because we are also folk and bluegrass musicians. The boys learn to sing those kinds of harmonies from their toddlerhood, with no music to read or anything.

I have not used their part-singing program, only the accompaniment CD and Hymnal, so I don't know how those are set up. Sorry.

There are Second Sopranos/First Altos that kind of sing between the two, but the Soprano would generally have the melody and probably won't be too high on most hymns. I, personally, can't carry a tune in a bucket with the lid nailed on, but hope someday those CDs will help.