Menu

Should I stay or should I go now.....help me decide

My friend told me about a homeschooler's athletic competition tomorrow morning from 10 am til about 12:30. They'll have races, long jump, etc. My son unfortunately overheard about the race (and I think his friend told him besides) and he wants to participate. I really dislike doing activities in the morning as we keep a pretty strict school time--we've tried doing field trips and such in the a.m. and inevitably we fall behind in our work. Plus, today we didn't get to a couple of things as I needed to help DH with some office work.

Would you go, or would you stay home and do your work, as per your "regularly scheduled programming"?

(meant to say, if I had known about this in advance, I would have been able to prepare for it by getting ahead in a few subjects or whatnot--I am not going at doing things last minute--does that make me unspontaneous :tongue_smilie:?)

I don't know but after reading the thread title I wanted to post

"if you go there will be trouble, if you stay it will be double."

I'd be tempted to not go. My kids would whine that they would do extra work later in the week, but then "tomorrow" there would be complaining about "all this extra work" and I'd be doubly annoyed.

Is there any way to find out if there'll be another such event in the near future?

I don't know but after reading the thread title I wanted to post

"if you go there will be trouble, if you stay it will be double."

I'd be tempted to not go. My kids would whine that they would do extra work later in the week, but then "tomorrow" there would be complaining about "all this extra work" and I'd be doubly annoyed.

Is there any way to find out if there'll be another such event in the near future?

That way my reference-glad you got it LOL. Yes, that's my concern too-I'd be annoyed that we didn't get stuff done, and I'd feel compelled to find a way to "stuff it in" somewhere else in the week, and it would get short shrift and then I'd be bothered by that. I feel like if I let one thing go, the whole house of cards will fall down!! :lol:

Oh, please go!!

I know it might seem like "missing" a day here or there is a big thing when your dc are young (3rd grade is so little:))...but when they are 14 and 12, you realize that a day missed here or there for such a wonderful activity makes for priceless memories and great non-academic lessons.

...said by a mama whose little ones are indeed now 14 and 12. I've never, ever regretted those "get up and go" days we used to do more frequently than we can now. And yes, even now we sometimes do them. :)

My dc's academic performance has never suffered as a result; it likely has been enhanced. And having this flexibility is one of many, many reasons why we homeschool.