Menu

Books like The Well Trained Mind -How to Teach for Christian moms?

blessedmom3

What about Harvey & Laurie Bluedorn's Teaching the Trivium?

Just a warning. I'm one of the most conservative Christians on these boards, but I HATED this book. I liked some of their earlier writings, particularly their 10 Things to Do With Children Under 10, but I wanted to throw this book against the wall. I found it very disrespectful to women/moms as teachers, and I'm no feminist. I was SOOOO disappointed.

Just a warning. I'm one of the most conservative Christians on these boards, but I HATED this book. I liked some of their earlier writings, particularly their 10 Things to Do With Children Under 10, but I wanted to throw this book against the wall. I found it very disrespectful to women/moms as teachers, and I'm no feminist. I was SOOOO disappointed.

:iagree: It just seemed so prideful somehow. Although I have not read this book, I know some who have and are happy with it. You might give it a look:

http://www.classicalconversationsbooks.com/core.html

I really loved Teaching The Trivium. Not a feminist... but not a lay down and roll over person either... I think it represented a nice "family view". I didn't agree with everything... but I thought that it presented a more relaxed... but still classical view.

My Books that I love are:

The Well Trained Mind :)

Teaching the Trivium

Latin Centered Curriculum

Trying to make it through Climbing Parnassus.

And... I think if I had young children.. for just a "bit more"... I'd like the Karen Andreola (sp?) book for another spin... (Charlotte Mason-ey)

I also like the Core and Bortin's first book that is quick to read... and you can read it for free online. I think it's more of a kinda "schedule" that can work for you... and it's a quick read. Amazon (especially if you have free shipping) is the least expensive for that book ;)

Well... I like reading :) I also have heard great things about the Catholic Classical Lady who wrote a book...about it... but for some reason am spacing on her name.... Hmmm

I really loved Teaching The Trivium. Not a feminist... but not a lay down and roll over person either... I think it represented a nice "family view". I didn't agree with everything... but I thought that it presented a more relaxed... but still classical view.

My Books that I love are:

The Well Trained Mind :)

Teaching the Trivium

Latin Centered Curriculum

Trying to make it through Climbing Parnassus.

And... I think if I had young children.. for just a "bit more"... I'd like the Karen Andreola (sp?) book for another spin... (Charlotte Mason-ey)

I also like the Core and Bortin's first book that is quick to read... and you can read it for free online. I think it's more of a kinda "schedule" that can work for you... and it's a quick read. Amazon (especially if you have free shipping) is the least expensive for that book ;)

Well... I like reading :) I also have heard great things about the Catholic Classical Lady who wrote a book...about it... but for some reason am spacing on her name.... Hmmm

Are you talking about Design Your Own Classical Curr. by Laura Berquist? It is good (as much as I remember, anyway).

Well, I loved Teaching the Trivium and still refer to it from time to time. :D I also like For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macauley. And if you study Charlotte Mason's own writings (vs. someone else's interpretation), you'll discover that she was very much a classical educator in her day. You can find her books in print, or you can read online (or print off) her 6-book set for free from here: http://www.amblesideonline.org/sitemap.shtml#series

Ambleside is a great resource for a CM style classical education. I actually prefer this to Karen Andreola's books because Karen presents CM principles in a much more relaxed way that CM did it herself. Don't get me wrong, I *enjoy* Karen's writings and have a couple of her books.... but they're not a good source for learning how CM actually did things, and I feel CM is misrepresented to some extent in Karen's books. But like I said, they're enjoyable to read and glean from. Karen's books give you more of that "fireside chat" feel, whereas Ambleside is a little closer to the real thing. And obviously Miss Mason's own writings are the best and most accurate. ;)