Menu

ipod users, can you help?

I am looking at getting an ipod. It uses wi-fi, so that would mean I don't have to do an additional monthly fee to sign up for the internet, I assume. Is that correct? Also, does anyone know how far I can go if I did wi-fi from my house. I want to be able to take it for a run, and still log onto the internet to get streaming radio. Is that possible, or will I be going in and out of the system?

Thanks for your help!

Hot Lava Mama

I assume you are talking about an iPod touch-the Shuffle, Nano and Classic don't use wi-fi.

No-you could probably not leave your own yard without loosing the wi-fi signal from your house.

You do not need to pay any special fees for the internet unless you have to pay them to access the wi-fi. For a home system, at some coffee shops, the library etc you just log onto the system-similar to using a laptop in public.

You will however be able to download music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. to the ipod and listen to those while you run.

I recommend looking for a better set of earbuds though. I find the included ones aren't tight enough for working out. I just walk but they do loosen as I go.

Would any of those others work for that? Like the nano, or whatever? My walkman is on the way out, and I just want something to use to run with that can play the local radio station. I understand they aren't going to make walkman's anymore. I can't seem to find any in the stores, in any account. Ugh.

Hot Lava Mama

Would any of those others work for that? Like the nano, or whatever? My walkman is on the way out, and I just want something to use to run with that can play the local radio station. I understand they aren't going to make walkman's anymore. I can't seem to find any in the stores, in any account. Ugh.

Hot Lava Mama

I have a sansa mp-3 player that has a FM-tuner.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-2GB-MP3-Player-with-FM-Tuner-Refurbished/5483095/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=B349271D-65E8-DF11-B690-001517384909&mr:referralID=NA

Best Buy and Walmart carry them.

Unfortunately, I am one of those nerds that listens mostly to AM talk radio (yes, even while running). Any other idea?

Thanks everyone!

Hot Lava Mama

Would you be willing to listen to yesterday's talk? Some of those shows might have podcasts or similar that you could download and listen to while you run. I'm pretty sure Dave Ramsey does that - you can download the previous day's show and listen on your portable music device.

Hot Lava Mama

Sorry-I totally missed your question...I once saw a radio receiver add on for ipods in Walmart. I remember thinking it worked with a nano but I don't really remember. Possible that it was just FM but I honestly don't know. You could check for podcasts of your favorite radio shows.

Also-itunes has a radio section under Library with lots of categories. Perhaps you can find something there? Again, I've never used it but just know it exists.