Menu

Wanna see a little sneak peek at my first ever bridal portraits?

TONS of edits, TONS of pics emailed to her (without paying), TONS of time in consultations, etc. I now know, too, why wedding photographers charge so much. And I know why bridal photographers charge so much. I did this as sort of a favor for a friend (who is a friend of this bride). I am getting paid, but not much until she orders her prints. When it's all said and done, unless she orders hundreds of dollars in prints, I will still not be making much at all, and I'm taking tons of time away from my family. I spent over three hours with her this weekend. And I will NEVER do anything to do with a wedding again. I was spoiled by MamaT's family, who was so sweet, when I shot her son's wedding. I LOVE photography, and I'm pretty proud of these photos. But honestly, this is not worth the hassle.

And she asked me to do an hour of pre-wedding "getting ready" shots. I said yes, but that was before all of this and before I even did the bridals. DUMB MOVE! We haven't signed a contract, but the wedding is March 12th, so I know I really can't bail on her. I don't want to leave her in a bind. She has a wedding photographer who charges thousands of dollars, but she doesn't want to pay him for a 2nd shooter because she thinks I will be cheaper. Might have to change her mind about that. ;)

I'm sad about all of the stress this is causing me. My eye is twitching, and my head hurts. We haven't done school today because I'm editing...again. So now I'm up to about 9 hours on this. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Nakia, so sorry this bride is turning into such a pain! When I was in a photography class, the instructor said, "Never do weddings! Just don't ever do it! Don't take photos for your friend's wedding or your aunt or your college roommate! You will regret the day you ever picked up a camera!" Apparently, he had experienced a few bad bride situations by that point. ;)

You guys have me strutting around like a peacock, lol!

No, I didn't use a reflector. Just my Nikon D200 and 50mm prime lens. :)

STUNNING!! Just lovely, Nakia. The peacock feathers in her hair really work so well with her gorgeous blue eyes. I love the backgrounds and the light is just PEFECT!

Bravo! And thanks so much for sharing!

astrid

TONS of edits, TONS of pics emailed to her (without paying), TONS of time in consultations, etc. I now know, too, why wedding photographers charge so much. And I know why bridal photographers charge so much. I did this as sort of a favor for a friend (who is a friend of this bride). I am getting paid, but not much until she orders her prints. When it's all said and done, unless she orders hundreds of dollars in prints, I will still not be making much at all, and I'm taking tons of time away from my family. I spent over three hours with her this weekend. And I will NEVER do anything to do with a wedding again. I was spoiled by MamaT's family, who was so sweet, when I shot her son's wedding. I LOVE photography, and I'm pretty proud of these photos. But honestly, this is not worth the hassle.

And she asked me to do an hour of pre-wedding "getting ready" shots. I said yes, but that was before all of this and before I even did the bridals. DUMB MOVE! We haven't signed a contract, but the wedding is March 12th, so I know I really can't bail on her. I don't want to leave her in a bind. She has a wedding photographer who charges thousands of dollars, but she doesn't want to pay him for a 2nd shooter because she thinks I will be cheaper. Might have to change her mind about that. ;)

I'm sad about all of the stress this is causing me. My eye is twitching, and my head hurts. We haven't done school today because I'm editing...again. So now I'm up to about 9 hours on this. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Did you see my thread this morning with a link to the blog where a few of my wedding pics are? She hasn't done many weddings either, but I think she did an AWESOME job on my wedding. And she was 9 months pregnant. (seriously about 8 3/4 months pregnant) Anyway, I didn't have one single complaint about the job she did. My point of all of that is that not all brides are demanding and ugly acting. (so don't give up on doing weddings)

Did you see my thread this morning with a link to the blog where a few of my wedding pics are? She hasn't done many weddings either, but I think she did an AWESOME job on my wedding. And she was 9 months pregnant. (seriously about 8 3/4 months pregnant) Anyway, I didn't have one single complaint about the job she did. My point of all of that is that not all brides are demanding and ugly acting. (so don't give up on doing weddings)

Scarlet, those are fabulous, and your and your husband are a beautiful couple. I know not all brides are ugly acting; I know I wasn't and neither were any of my friends. This one is a doozy. I am feeling super emotional right now about it all. Part of it is that I find the whole thing insulting on a personal and professional level, ya know? Her emails come off as so condescending, yet when I see her in person she is all sugary sweet and agrees with everything I say. I met with her again yesterday, and everything went really well, but at 8:15 this morning, she emailed me with more absurd requests. Yesterday, we went through every single picture with a fine tooth comb, and she picked her favorites. But today, she wasn't happy. I'm confused by it all.

I sent her my very last email explaining why I will not email her any more pictures and the prices for what is remaining. I hope to have this wrapped up soon. I won't be sad if she find someone else to do the pre-wedding shots.

But today, she wasn't happy. I'm confused by it all.

I sent her my very last email explaining why I will not email her any more pictures and the prices for what is remaining. I hope to have this wrapped up soon. I won't be sad if she find someone else to do the pre-wedding shots.

Maybe she is on some power trip. I know it is hard to know where to draw the line with clients like that. You want to be customer service oriented but not be taken advantage of. Anyway, I think you did a great job. I know working in that snow isn't easy (technically speaking--never mind the cold!)