Menu

Posturpedic mattress & plans for if dh dies...

We have very little life ins right now, & being pg w/ #4, I broached the subject last night: "What would I do if you died NOW?"

I have a teaching cert that's about to expire, but I know he wouldn't wish that on me, under any circumstances. *My* point was that maybe that should be a consideration for me going back to school.

He said I should finish my books. (Like that's a real solid plan.) The only other thing I could get him to say was that he wanted me to spend some of the $ on a posturpedic mattress. Specifically. He says the commercials say they're so good, you'll actually need less sleep. And since he knows I won't be getting *more,* he thinks the quality of the sleep should be better.

Seriously. My dh's death-plans are for me to publish million-dollar literature & sleep on a name-brand mattress. At his parents' house. Oh, & I should start a business. (If I had any good ideas for a business, I'd be doing it *now*!)

Anybody got better plans? I mean, barring actual life ins, etc?

My dh sells life insurance so we are all for it. The life insurance would pay off the debts, bury him and the rest would be put away for that period between when my youngest turns 18 and I am eligible for social security.

While my children are younger than 18 I would get money from social security to help raise them. Being debt free we should be able to keep things going in a frugal fashion without me having to go back to work.

You have a degree in English don't you (I thought that is what you said you taught). You could always tutor or set up English classes for homeschooled children. I find that a lot of people are not secure in teaching composition and literary analysis. So there is one idea.

Good luck!:001_smile:

Do you have a degree? A good education always provides a nice backup should you need to work. If you don't have one, you could think about taking some courses part time. Bookkeeping is easy to learn and pays relatively well and is always in demand.

I would sit down and talk life insurance with your dh though. So many people are under-insured, and with children, its a very big risk you are taking.

Term life insurance is very inexpensive. We have some written as a 20-year level premium policy, meaning it won't get more expensive as dh ages, to cover til I get the kids through w/ homeschooling, then it will end.

Just a thought...

LOL--we can't afford to eat right now. I think ins will have to wait.

Do you have a degree? A good education always provides a nice backup should you need to work. If you don't have one, you could think about taking some courses part time. Bookkeeping is easy to learn and pays relatively well and is always in demand.

I would sit down and talk life insurance with your dh though. So many people are under-insured, and with children, its a very big risk you are taking.

I've actually got 2, but teaching ps (ime) was very anti-family. We've been talking about the poss of going back for my phd. Since he's looking at becoming a pastor or a prof, there's a good chance that we'll never do very well as a one-income family anyway. In which case, the profs I've known have had an easier time hs'ing their dc than any other FT working professional. Kwim?

Ok, y'all's plans are good, but you're missing the point. You're *supposed* to be laughing. Dh is worried about the quality of my sleep if he dies!

(Actually, though, it was so sweet, I cried for a good, long time. But I am 6mos pg.)

Do you have a degree? A good education always provides a nice backup should you need to work. >>>>

That's what I always thought. I have two B.S. degrees and have struggled for more than year to find a job. Yes, I could find something that doesn't require a degree but I'm finding that those that require degrees also require experience which is something that I don't have, mostly because I've been a SAHM for 7.5 years.

Not that I don't agree with your statement, because I do, but my reality is that my degrees aren't helping me at all. So, now I'm looking toward more schooling, whether it is an AA or an M.S. I haven't decided yet.

Aubrey,

Could your parents help you purchase a basic life insurance plan? I mean, if I thought my daughter in laws plan for if my son died was that she would move in with me with four children, I could consider buying life insurance for her as a sanity keeper for me, lol. Same if that were a daughter's plan. I'm sure you were joking about that being the plan, but honestly, if you have no plan, it's a possibility.

I don't know what your parents' financial situations are, but if you and DH are on a short budget while he is in school, it's not like you are being irresponsible. And he's young. I'm sure life insurance is cheap. I would do whatever I had to, though.

Aubrey,

Could your parents help you purchase a basic life insurance plan? I mean, if I thought my daughter in laws plan for if my son died was that she would move in with me with four children, I could consider buying life insurance for her as a sanity keeper for me, lol. Same if that were a daughter's plan. I'm sure you were joking about that being the plan, but honestly, if you have no plan, it's a possibility.

I don't know what your parents' financial situations are, but if you and DH are on a short budget while he is in school, it's not like you are being irresponsible. And he's young. I'm sure life insurance is cheap. I would do whatever I had to, though.

Oh, I don't know--if they thought that meant I wouldn't move in, probably not. They've got the equivalent of an 800 sf apt attached to the back of the house. Dh & I lived there for a few yrs when we were first married--we were still in school & started having babies sooner than we planned.

In fact, we'd talked about living w/ them for the next few yrs while dh is in seminary. When we decided to do student housing instead (the seminary he chose is an hr away from them, & I realized I could NOT be 30 & live w/ my il's), THEY were disappointed. They're very sweet, the house has been in the family for generations, & they've ALWAYS had somebody living in the back. Right now it's a random uncle w/ poker buddies.

Seriously - you can get 10 year level term for really cheap, even when you are broke and barely eating. I went to a funeral yesterday for my DHs close, close friend. His 40th birthday would be tomorrow. He leaves a 5 month old, a two year old and a devastated wife. It was a tragic totally unexpected event. Please - get life insurance - even if it's only in 10 year level term amounts.

Ok, y'all's plans are good, but you're missing the point. You're *supposed* to be laughing. Dh is worried about the quality of my sleep if he dies!

(Actually, though, it was so sweet, I cried for a good, long time. But I am 6mos pg.)

I got it, I AM laughing. Men are so &%^* practical, aren't they?

:lol:

The title of your post alone had me laughing...I HAD to read it to see what the heck you were talking about! How can men be so funny and so frustrating at the same time?