Menu

Muslim approach to Exodus Chapter

UmMusa

Hi y'all.

I'm about to get to the chapter in SOTW I about Moses and the Exodus. I'm thinking I'd rather teach it using the Quran as the reference for facts instead of the history in the chapter. Has anyone else tried to teach it both ways?

I'm wondering if the kids should also know what it is called in the Bible (Exodus) and if they should be familiar with the Christian perspective of it since it's kind of a common knowlege thing.

What would you do? The stories don't have many differences. However, the Quran is full of stories about Moses, peace be upone him, and especially in connection to the pharoah of his time.

Thanks!

to reduce confusion I'd just go with the Qur'anic story... later, when they're older they can compare versions. But it would unnecessarily confuse their minds with varying facts (not sure what the actual differences are between the two accounts).

Going directly to the source would be great, the story is so simply told in the Qur'an that even really young ones can understand it.

I'm actually working on some Prophet unit studies these days... that's the extent of my teaching of the "ancients" these days. PM me and maybe we can share ideas!

We just went with the torah version for ourselves. It sounds funny to call Moshe "Moses" and it just goes on from there. :) To me it's not relevant at the elementary stage that they know the vocabulary and interpretation of the same events by other religions.

We're also using a Jewish history text alongside SOTW because it does not offer the complete picture, being written primarily from a Christian viewpoint. So, I would heavily supplement with your own resources. It does provide a terrific structure and we love it for our history studies!!

Hello, off topic, but this thread is such a great advertisement for how this forum should and clearly does work.

We share the same history, the same ancestors.

And we share the same vocation. Educating and enriching our children.

(Sometimes we fail to acknowledge when our children are playing nicely.

I am enjoying the 'nice play' of this thread.)

Sorry, back to topic now.

In addition to Quran, we used Tell me about Prophet Musa (alayhi salaam), IQRA's The Prophets of Allah Volume 3, Atlas of the Quran, and Ibn Katheer's The Stories of the Prophets.

I agree with above posters -- I kept the stories from our perspective. Well, all except Isa (alayhi salaam), but those differences were taught focusing on aqeedah.

Have fun!

BTW, I would *love* to hear how the Muslim story of Exodus differs from the Christian and Jewish ones!!!!!!

:lurk5:

I'd enjoy hearing that as well. That would be a learning time for me.

in general though... I'm in agreement that with volume 1 of SOTW to make sure you are using appropriate religious book (of your choice) to help or sub for some of it when needed..

There is always time later to learn the differences with the children. I guess I'm in the camp that likes my youngest grammar age students to have more faith founding to my faith, and then, as progress to next learning stage to add more cultures and all of that.

So, know that you;re not alone in going with more faith before more cultures when they are young.

-crystal

One more thought... While the story of Musa does not have many differences (to my knowledge, anyway) with the story in the Old Testament, other prophets have significant differences. The SOTW chapter about Yusuf, for example, has significant differences from ours. And you must have already run into the differences presented in SOTW about Ibraheem, and just wait until you get to Muhammad (alayhum salaat wa salaam)! There are definite differences between "our" versions and those presented in SOTW, so I decided to steer very clear of them. From my limited understanding, Christians have a different understanding of prophethood, so while our stories show the prophets as the best of the people, the biblical stories portray the prophets as flawed (often *very* flawed) individuals -- Dawud and Nuh are glaring examples.

while our stories show the prophets as the best of the people, the biblical stories portray the prophets as flawed (often *very* flawed) individuals -- Dawud and Nuh are glaring examples.

(Cough) And Lut (Lot).

I think the Jewish emphasis on Esther (Asiya), and the holiday of Purim, are an interesting side-discussion in the comparative religion arena with regard to Exodus.

Hello again,

I don't know how to quote yet, but the question of differences and similarities sent me searching (as it does :001_smile:) and I found this informative link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_narratives_and_the_Qur%27an

I haven't read it all, but neither did I find offense in what I have read. I did learn where some of our accounts vary and where some of them don't.

Others may find some enlightenment too.

(btw, I now come from a RC perspective but was reared Anglican(ish) so Biblical differences have been explored close to home).