Menu

Would Oak Meadow work for this child? (1st grade)

Halcyon

I am thinking about OM for my upcoming 1st grader. I can't express exactly why, except for the fact that I think in the younger grades especially, both my boys really seem to appreciate a more playful, hands-on, organic approach to schooling.

A little about him/us:

-he adores arts and crafts and animal and nature studies.

-he is an advanced reader, about a 3rd grade level. He reads all the time, about 2-3 hours a day on his own.

-he will have completed Math Mammoth 1st year by the summer

-he loves hands-on projects, but I find it hard to do them enough with him.

-loves classical music, both listening and (trying to) play on his own

-I need something that doesn't take tons of time, allows his older brother to sit in and enjoy when he's not working on his own stuff, and that will allow us time to work on Latin (does together with older brother).

I am not 100% understanding whether I can just do "pieces" of OM--I mean, I'm sure I am allowed to, LOL, but just not sure that's how the curriculum works, if you KWIM.

For those of you who have used OM, can you chime in? Thank you.

Edited by Halcyon

We did OM1 at the beginning of our school year and from what you are describing about your son and what you want from a program, I would say no, it would not be a good match.

The LA is going to be way behind him - in 1st they are still learning letters and beginning sound blends. The fairy tales book was a little strange, IMO, and we have enjoyed Ambleside's fairy tales selections much more than these.

The math stories are cute, but they are teacher intensive.... beyond the basic story line, you are expected to come up with other stories and problems on your own, along with art work to teach the concepts

AFA music, OM expects parents to teach the recorder in 1st.

There are some nice craft ideas, though, and I think the science/nature study is the real strength of the program. I almost kept the program just for the science, but we needed the money we made from selling it more.

At this level, I think it's quite teacher intensive, so I don't think it will give you the freedom you hope for. I hear that the older levels are written to the student and are much more independent, though.

HTH :001_smile:

I have used (am using, but we are about 3/4 of the way through) OM K. I have not yet used or even seen OM 1 or 2. The whole person education that OM provides is exactly what my youngest ds needs, but it is not matched to his academic level. I intend to continue using it with him - a year ahead, with supplemented LA and math (for us, that will mean McRuffy). He also may learn the penny whistle instead of the recorder.

SO, my suggestion is to consider that for your ds. If the approach to education is important then maybe it would work for you to use it a year ahead, continue with math mammoth, and continue with reading lots of library books at his reading level.

- Just offering another option to think about.

If you have the money to supplement and are drawn to OM, I think it could work. The LA and math will be behind, and I would suggest a different instrument than the recorder, but the arts and crafts are really strong, and the program as a whole does not take a lot of time to complete.

Some ideas:

* use the arts/crafts/animal/nature studies as written

* continue to allow him to read on his own (duh) and don't worry about the LA portion. He's little enough that avid reading is enough imo

* continue with a different math program than OM (I'm not impressed with the math at any level)

* start him on violin, cello, or piano, and ignore the recorder suggestions.

OM is fairly integrated, but you can use pieces of it that work for you, and it would be particularly easy to sub out the math and music. For the LA you may want to use some of it (maybe read some stories but not all, maybe do some of the "letter art" more for the art angle than the LA angle).

My 4 yo son reads pretty well (about a 2nd grade level), but I still intend to do OM K with him next school year. He sounds similar to your son, actually. Anyway I know he will enjoy the art portion tremendously... My 9 yo daughter, who is doing OM 3, is loving it, although in many respects it is light for her. She loves creating her own lesson books, and writes many narrations/letters/etc about whatever classic she's reading. (Currently, Anne of Avonlea.) We just take whatever the curriculum suggests and go a little deeper.

I'm pretty new to OM but I'm so enjoying it. It has brought some joy back to our homeschool!

The fairy tales book was a little strange, IMO,

Indeed. Perhaps I'm too quick to judge, but the fairy tale book totally turned me off the curriculum.

We did use it for a bit of early comparative lit, though.

And I agree - not a good match for an academically advanced kid if used at the intended grade level. If the general concept seems like what you want, perhaps you could mix and match the materials from different grades.

I agree with everything that has been posted here. In fact, I had tweaked OM1 to the point where I was paying $200 for only science and adding to that as well.

One thing I will say is to be careful about moving too far ahead of your grade level. I know others who are using the upper levels. Apparently beginning around 4th grade, things ramp up quite a bit. I was cautioned by those who had gone before to stick with grade level since it does get markedly more difficult in 4th and up from there.

Just passing on the caution that was given to me. I really love OM and wish that we could continue with it. But it wasn't giving my girl what she needs academically. I'm hanging on to my OM stuff just in case it works better for my ds. But we're now moving toward a combination of AO and Tanglewood. Good luck to you in your decision making.

more playful, hands-on, organic approach to schooling.

Yes, Oak Meadow is all of that. Plus it tries to reach the whole child.

-he adores arts and crafts and animal and nature studies.

I know that OM2 is more animals stories while OM1 is more about the alphabet. So OM2 might be a better choice.

-he is an advanced reader, about a 3rd grade level. He reads all the time, about 2-3 hours a day on his own.

The readers for OM1 would be easy for him and so would the OM2 but he could probably read the other books on his own. Or you can have him check out books from the library that he likes to read and read those.

-he will have completed Math Mammoth 1st year by the summer

OM teaches math differently and I use the ideas and such to play with math with my dd but Rod and Staff is what she uses for math practice. You could benefit from OM math lessons in addition to sticking with MM.

-he loves hands-on projects, but I find it hard to do them enough with him.

I loved the hands-on projects that went along with the animal homes study in OM2. They have lots of great ideas. But they don't overwhelm you with them. We did 1 project every week or so.

-loves classical music, both listening and (trying to) play on his own

The OM music CD & songs are a bit hippy dippy but fun and soothing. The Recorder books are easy to follow along.

-I need something that doesn't take tons of time, allows his older brother to sit in and enjoy when he's not working on his own stuff, and that will allow us time to work on Latin (does together with older brother).

OM2 only took us about 30-45 minutes to do each day including extra math and phonics.

I am not 100% understanding whether I can just do "pieces" of OM--I mean, I'm sure I am allowed to, LOL, but just not sure that's how the curriculum works, if you KWIM.

It all comes together in a syllabus that includes ideas for language arts, science, social studies, math, and art. Plus there are the recorder books. The ideas are set up on a weekly basis so you can easily pick and choose what you want to do each week and when. A lot of people who use it supplement math and language arts but the science and social studies is good and there are lots of neat ideas and projects.

I really enjoyed OM2 with my dd last year and we are liking OM3 a lot.

:001_smile:

For those of you who have used OM, can you chime in? Thank you.

See, I think it WOULD be a good fit. It's definitely a "playful, hands-on, organic approach" to schooling, which I love about it :)

There are lots of arts and crafts and nature studies.

While the readers may be not advanced enough for him, the fairy tales likely WILL be, and plus he can do other reading on his own for fun- which I imagine he does.

The math won't be advanced enough for him but WILL be fun reinforcement, and you could always continue doing your own math program.

There are hands on projects and crafts and activities that you will probably both enjoy.

He may enjoy the recorder books.

Oak Meadow is NOT overly time consuming. I think for first grade it wouldn't take more than an hour or so.

I'm a big fan of Oak Meadow in general though. I love their philosophy, their approach, their hands-on, creative gentle style in the younger years, and their hands-on, creative, approach which adds on interesting discussions and writing assignments and reading in the later years.

So far I've used it for part of K (before deciding we were going to wait until next fall to do K with my son), all of fourth, and more than half of fifth, and I plan to continue using it. My daughter will be using it for 4th grade (which was our first full year homeschooling) through 8th grade at the very least, and my son will use it for at least K-8th.

I haven't looked into their high school yet as that's a bit off in the future but may very well continue it into those years, too!

I think the 2nd grade would fit him better from what you described. If you wanted to you could stretch it out over a year 1/2 and then do the 3rd grade over that period of time. Once you get to 4th or so it really steps up with the writing projects.:001_smile:

THanks. He already writes a LOT. Far more than his older brother. He writes poems, stories, and essays. But in any case, my hope is by the time he's 7 he'll be ready for a more classical approach to schooling. Thank you.

How difficult are the crafts? I've wondered about just getting the crafts kit, but I'm stymied by the fact that I am craft impaired....

I've only have experience with OM K, but if the following years are anything like it, the craft kit alone would not be instructional. Mine included watercolor paints, paintbrushes, modeling beeswax, block crayons, watercolor paper, and main lesson books. The majority of the crafts we've done required me to have or buy other materials (glue, scissors, tissue paper, pipe cleaners, toilet paper rolls, rice, beans etc.). The instructions for the crafts were all in the syllabus.

We went with OM2 for Ariel, who would be in first grade by age. It's a much better fit than OM1 was (I bought the OM1 syllabus, read through it and realized it wouldn't work at all, other than the knitting and fairy tales, so I sold it and have been doing finger knitting and reading our own fairy tales) and while her motor skills might not be ready for crocheting yet, she will continue to do knitting and reading her own books, working through a different math program (OM math was a little too loose for me) and playing piano instead of recorder. It's worked well so far, but we just started.

From what you described, I'd go with OM2 this year and do OM3 next year, if you want to stick with it. Some kids are just ready faster than others. Your son sounds like one of them.

I agree that in this case OM2 might be a good fit (although generally speaking I'm a fan of OM's "childhood is a valuable period and nothing is to be gained by hurrying through it" philosophy, and OMK/OM1 is so "sweet" that it almost seems like a shame to miss out on it lol). But yes I do think you could probably do OM2- the early years, OMK-OM2 in particular, are not overly difficult.

What you'd perhaps want to consider is what might happen down the road if you start him off in a higher grade now. Once you get to OM4 and OM5 they need to be able to do a decent amount of writing. The writing assignment choices are interesting and you want them to get out of it as much as they can- the reading, the writing, the discussions and so on.

My daughter was a young 4th grader when we started OM (because if she'd been born 1 day later than she was, she'd have been in 3rd grade that year instead; she started out in public school and I didn't pull her out til toward the end of 3rd grade), and we loved OM4, but for a lot of those writing assignments, I remember giving a decent amount of hand-holding and thinking "if she was doing this next year, she'd probably do a bit better with it/get a bit more out of it."

And this year, in 5th grade, she is indeed doing better (i.e. being more independent etc) with her writing assignments.

So just something to think about!

(Of course, you could always do something like doing OM2 this year and then spreading OM3 out over two years or some such, so that's something to think about, too!)

OM has really good customer service from what I've heard btw and if you call them and explain your situation and ask what they think you should do, I think they will give you good advice which very well might be to use OM2 for him, just to throw that out there.

How difficult are the crafts? I've wondered about just getting the crafts kit, but I'm stymied by the fact that I am craft impaired....

LOL...I'm "craft impaired" too but we don't have trouble with most of these crafts. Every once in a while I'd say to my husband, "Why don't you do this one with them" lol- but most of the time we had no problems. They were pretty simple and fun.

Edited by NanceXToo

I used OM 2 for several months with my kids this fall. We all enjoyed it, but the LA and math were not a fit for either of them. If your ds can write 1-2 sentences comfortably and enjoys drawing, OM2 will work for you. My only suggestion is to look through the book and pick the stories and projects that most appeal to your family so that you can be sure to include them. After 2.5 months, we were all a bit bored by doing the same things over and over. However, we may pick it back up again in the spring and do a bit more of it. We all like it, but not all the time, and we still have to use other resources for reading, math and writing/grammar instruction because OM2 didn't fit either ds or dd's level (and neither did OM3, but we're odd).

What you'd perhaps want to consider is what might happen down the road if you start him off in a higher grade now. Once you get to OM4 and OM5 they need to be able to do a decent amount of writing. The writing assignment choices are interesting and you want them to get out of it as much as they can- the reading, the writing, the discussions and so on.

:iagree: My dd 9 is advanced pretty much across the board, but I opted to go OM 3 because I am also using OM 6 now and I see the writing topics do get interesting and, while I knew she could handle OM 4 or really even 5 right now, I'm thinking she will get even more out of it later.

But then again, I'm moving more and more away from the "buffet" style of homeschooling (like TOG) and more towards something more minimal, that will give us plenty of time to fill in with other extras that we enjoy. For dd9, that's more art, music, free reading, and free writing. For the older boys, that's more math.:tongue_smilie: