Menu

DS (5) did Singapore 1A in 1 day - OK to move to 1B?

trying my best

I got 1A for my DS in our local discounted store. I only got him a text book thinking he is really ready for 1B (but maybe lacking some stuff from 1A). I thought 1A will last him a month or so just reviewing it. But today i set with him for the first time and he did a whole book in 1 hour! i was like :001_huh:

He knows whats its all about and how to make numbers in a bond of 10 to do additions and subtractions and all that (regrouping to make it easier). He did half of it in his head.

Will that be OK to start 1B with him? I have both textbook and writing book for 1B.

My ds completed about 40 pages of 1A in one sitting. He's always after me to do more pages and he really seems to be getting it. Maybe I'll go ahead and let him do unlimited pages on it. 1B definitely looks harder so I think we'll have to slow down when we get to that one.

I didn't know about the challenging word problems book but we did get the intensive practice. I'll have to see about getting the word problems book.

My ds completed about 40 pages of 1A in one sitting. He's always after me to do more pages and he really seems to be getting it. Maybe I'll go ahead and let him do unlimited pages on it. 1B definitely looks harder so I think we'll have to slow down when we get to that one.

I didn't know about the challenging word problems book but we did get the intensive practice. I'll have to see about getting the word problems book.

Since i already have "wrong" Singapore books (the ones you can buy at the book store) i can tell you that 1A of the "wrong" singapore is very similar to real singapore. So we are doing real one and supplementing with wrong one to make it last longer :)

I got 1A for my DS in our local discounted store..

I'd advise placement test.

and uhm... just making sure, you have 1A Primary Math, and not the Frank Schaffer Publication since it was at a discounted store? I wasn't sure what you meant by "wrong" book?

88 pages of 1A texts in one hour? wow. was he totally on his own, or were you reading it to him and doing the activities? I'd think even smart 5 year young child would enjoy doing it again with activities and challenge problems.

-crystal

and uhm... just making sure, you have 1A Primary Math, and not the Frank Schaffer Publication since it was at a discounted store? I wasn't sure what you meant by "wrong" book?

88 pages of 1A texts in one hour? wow. was he totally on his own, or were you reading it to him and doing the activities? I'd think even smart 5 year young child would enjoy doing it again with activities and challenge problems.

-crystal

I was reading him instructions (what to do) and he was answering on his own. Sometimes i didnt let him see the pics (clues) and was just reading him word problems or just math drills.

-crystal

I did placement test about a month ago and he was 2% shy of passing 1A. So we worked on those skills he was wrong about. I need to give him the test again and see how he will do now.

Yeah it was primary edition (yellow little book)

Edited by trying my best

I had the same thing happen with my 5 yr old last year. It took a couple of days for 1A (and only that long because I stopped her), and she went through 1B, 1A IP, and 1B IP over about 2 months. She did slow down with 2A/B, though, and each book takes a little longer. Adding the CWP at 2a (I don't think there's one for 1A/B) helped as well.

I'd also suggest looking at MEP. It's free and has enough puzzley-type stuff to help keep a kid interested and moving a little more laterally.

In 20/20 hindsight, I wish I'd given her the placement test, because we probably should have just started at 2A/B from the beginning.

I got 1A for my DS in our local discounted store. I only got him a text book thinking he is really ready for 1B (but maybe lacking some stuff from 1A). I thought 1A will last him a month or so just reviewing it. But today i set with him for the first time and he did a whole book in 1 hour! i was like :001_huh:

He knows whats its all about and how to make numbers in a bond of 10 to do additions and subtractions and all that (regrouping to make it easier). He did half of it in his head.

Will that be OK to start 1B with him? I have both textbook and writing book for 1B.

This merely proves that you were right, he is really ready for 1B:001_smile:. I'd do that now.

Sorry, but what is "not real" Singapore? Can someone link me to what you're talking about?

The Singapore Math normally discussed on this board is Primary Math from singaporemath.com.

The "other" Singapore Math is by Frank Schaffer Publications:

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=singapore+math+Frank+Schaffer+Publications&FORM=WLETLB&PC=WLEM&MKT=en-us

The Singapore Math normally discussed on this board is Primary Math from singaporemath.com.

The "other" Singapore Math is by Frank Schaffer Publications:

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=singapore+math+Frank+Schaffer+Publications&FORM=WLETLB&PC=WLEM&MKT=en-us

Correct!

I viewed 1a or real and 1a of "other" both very very similar. Units are somewhat the same. I find it a good side by side workbook (side by side with real singapore). I think i will continue using both Singapores ("other" along with "real") it works out wonderful.

The Singapore site is here. They've also got a forum where you can get questions answered. Placement exams, errata are on the website.

Check Grade 1-6 math and Supplement Math (where the Intensive Practice (IP) books are and the Challenging Word Problems (new editions: CWP).

The Singapore site is here. They've also got a forum where you can get questions answered. Placement exams, errata are on the website.

Check Grade 1-6 math and Supplement Math (where the Intensive Practice (IP) books are and the Challenging Word Problems (new editions: CWP).

Right. Singapre Math is a common nickname for Primary Mathematics from one publisher. I hadn't realized that there was a book out there with SM as a title. The first time I bought "SM," I bought the wrong one. It was similar, but not as good; at least I only bought one book of that.