Menu

Husband has begun shredding papers

and I'm breaking out in hives. I like the security of knowing I've kept records of everything. All my beautiful filing, being slain before my eyes. Oh the tortured whine and whir, as down the shredder it goes...

Guaranteed, next week we will NEED one of those papers (is there a nail biting smiley?)

and I'm breaking out in hives. I like the security of knowing I've kept records of everything. All my beautiful filing, being slain before my eyes. Oh the tortured whine and whir, as down the shredder it goes...

Guaranteed, next week we will NEED one of those papers (is there a nail biting smiley?)

You sound like my father... he's been dragging tax records and receipts around from house to house for the past 43 years.

:eek: Can't you STOP him?

:lol: I'm laughing because this is how my husband feels about me. I recently discovered a cache of old utility bills and credit card statements--from the 80s. Not one of those accounts has been active in the past 20 years, but it still freaked my husband out a bit for me to shred them.

Deep breaths, deep breaths...

My hubby hates it when he hears the shredder running. He used to ask to look over everything that I was going to shred but I finally talked him into taking over anything that he thought was important enough to keep and moving it to his office. At least, I don't have him standing over my shoulder when I am shredding any more but he still doesn't like it.

Thought this may come in handy for some reading this thread:

What papers should I keep, and for how long?

Seems like a reliable source.

Happy Shredding!

Thanks for the resource. I acknowledge that I just have an illogical, emotional attachment to the paperwork that documents our life. In 30 yrs of adulthood, I have only needed to go get that canceled check stub twice. Yet, somehow I feel more secure knowing I can prove what has happened and when. Intellectually I concede that 10 yrs of back utility bills serve no purpose, while remaining reluctant to part with them.