Menu

Christian history from a secular or historical standpoint, but for kids?

melissel

I know that's a completely weird request!!! I'm honestly not sure what I'm looking for, so I'm hoping some of you can help me out with some starting points.

Today my DD5 and I were reading about Jewish holidays (we've been focusing on Israel in our geography studies). We were both learning a lot about the history behind the traditions and holidays, and she was extremely interested. Now, my DH was raised Catholic and would like to raise the girls in some Christian faith, but is confused about his own beliefs. He's loyal to his Catholic upbringing, but also disagrees with much of what sets Catholics apart from other, more mainstream Christians (I think--I'm not well versed in this area, so I'm sorry if I'm making assumptions I'm not qualified to make!). He's also not motivated enough to do anything about it.

I, on the other hand, am spiritual, but I don't know if I'm a Christian anymore, or what I am. I'm not comfortable at all with teaching her from the usual Christian children's materials. So I guess what I'm looking for is something that will give us the history rather than the doctrine. Today I was telling her about why Jesus was crucified, and when he died, and how Christianity was somewhat of an offshoot of Judaism, etc., when I realized just how little I actually remember from my Sunday School classes (with the exception of the girls who led the class one year teaching us that if we asked a question and opened a Bible at random, God would answer our question :confused:).

I hope I'm not offending anyone with this question. I really have no idea where to start, and she's asking a lot of questions I really can't answer.

TIA!

DK has two illustrated children's Bibles that are are usable in a secular context. The simpler of the two is available in two formats, the smaller of which is virtually unreadable. This is the larger one. Here's DK's Family Bible as well; it's similar to the Children's Illustrated Bible above, but has more detail. We also used Geraldine McCaughrean's two Bible story books, God's People and God's Kingdom. I had to adapt a bit when reading the latter, but on the whole didn't find either to be objectionable.

But, I'm going to follow this thread, as I'd be very interested to get some recommendations, too!

It's very hard to find materials on Christianity that aren't biased one way or the other. I really want something neutral -- no proselytizing, no glossing over the less than savoury aspects, but also no condescending narrative or focus only of the less than savoury aspects. I think I want something more along the lines of "just the facts, ma'am." :001_smile:

I think SOTW does an excellent job of sticking to the facts, telling all sides of the story, and adding in cultural stories/fables. I am a religious Christian but I do not like teaching history from a Christian perspective. It's like going to a concert and hearing only the violins. I do supplement our history at times with stories of Christians who lived during the period we are reading about, such as Bonhoeffer or Martin Luther.

I am not sure myself, but after this term's focusing on Greek Myths along with our Ancient Greece study, I intend to spend a term reading Bible stories (along with our Ancient Rome term). I will just borrow books from the children's section of the library- there are some very interesting ones there. My kids are older though and do have plenty of discretion as to what might be fact and what might by mythological.

I also would like some sort of fairly short secular Bible summary, lol, so that we can get "all the good bits" that might be important cultural references. But I am happy if we just do Bible stories. I know it's not very classical of me, but I just cant bring myself to make us read the actual Bible. Maybe I will change my mind.

• 11 months later...
I think SOTW does an excellent job of sticking to the facts, telling all sides of the story, and adding in cultural stories/fables. I am a religious Christian but I do not like teaching history from a Christian perspective. It's like going to a concert and hearing only the violins. I do supplement our history at times with stories of Christians who lived during the period we are reading about, such as Bonhoeffer or Martin Luther.

I know this post is old, but I'm new to TWTM, and a devout Catholic. Looking to leave the boxed curricula and go classical next fall, I am struggline to find materials for history because of this very issue. Some of the Amazon reviews I've read on the Catholic history books Angelicum or Kolbe recommend turn my hair white, but Protestant history doesn't fit the bill either.

Anyway, thanks for putting into words that over which I am pulling out my hair.

Misty