Menu

Which of these mysteries, set in Ancient Rome, for a reluctant reader 6th grade girl?

I teach a 6th grader who is a very reluctant reader. She says she hates to read, but says that she likes mysteries. She comprehends decently well, but vocabulary is lacking, and she is also lacking in higher order/critical thinking skills (has a lot of difficulty with making inferences, drawing conclusions, sequencing, etc.). I'm looking for an exciting story on about a 4.5 to 5.5 reading level. Given these two choices, which one would you pick?

The Thieves of Ostia

Detectives in Togas

Thank you!

I've only read Thieves of Ostia but I asked dd9 which was her favorite (she's read them both, more than once) and she says it's Detectives in Togas. She says she likes it better "because it is more fun."

Of course, she's playing Wii at the moment and that's all I can get out of her. :tongue_smilie: I know she did like them both.

I teach a 6th grader who is a very reluctant reader. She says she hates to read, but says that she likes mysteries. She comprehends decently well, but vocabulary is lacking, and she is also lacking in higher order/critical thinking skills (has a lot of difficulty with making inferences, drawing conclusions, sequencing, etc.). I'm looking for an exciting story on about a 4.5 to 5.5 reading level. Given these two choices, which one would you pick?

The Thieves of Ostia

Detectives in Togas

Thank you!

I think I might suggest Thieves of Ostia. It is a bit of a faster read, has fewer main characters (4 kids plus families rather than 7) to keep track of and is part of a longer series.

On the other hand, not all of the books have a true mystery. Some are more of a suspense novel. But they are engaging stories.

I like both series, but my son really devoured the Thieves of Ostia series.

I've only read Detectives in Togas. But, I just asked my 6th grade son which he would recommend, and he says Detectives in Togas. He also said that The Thieves of Ostia was his least favorite of the Roman Mysteries he's read so far. I asked him which was easier for him to read and he says The Thieves of Ostia.

Edited by Swirl

The Thieves of Ostia

Detectives in Togas

Thank you!

Thieves of Ostia

This is a fabulous series, my 10 year old is reading through them for Ancients. :)

Thieves of Ostia is the more accessible of the two books. Detectives in Togas employs a sophisticated vocabulary and more complex sentence structure. While I always recommend The Roman Mysteries series, I do so with the caution to the parent to please research the series. The author tackles some of Rome's less savory aspects and you, as a parent, need to be ready to discuss them. In this situation your student is at a good age for the books. I seldom censor what my children read but I would never let a young child, say 7-10, loose with this series without discussion.

Don't gag, but the Time Warp Trio series might be a good fit. Bit lower level, lots of books, readily available at the library, very funny. Reading a lot at a lower level can build her speed. Also look at comics, Usborne Time Traveler, etc.

If she's having issues with comprehension, inferences, etc, have you considered her visualization? I'm assuming you've already looked at her phonics skills, spelling, etc. There's a youtube video explaining Verbalizing & Visualizing by Nanci Bell in-depth.