Menu

Do you have a Spanish curric. that you LOVE?

Alicia64

I can't say I have one that I love because we just started it (really JUST started it, lol). However, if you don't find what you're looking for, consider the Elementary Spanish on Discovery Streaming, if you haven't already. You can get the basic membership through the HSBC for only $149, and it includes a full Spanish curriculum, with teacher's guides and worksheets. DD likes the teacher for the Gr. 1/2 level. Then you not only get Spanish, but all the other stuff on DE Streaming.

I also really liked Elementary Spanish. It is a big investment if it's the only thing you'll use on DS, but if you have multiple kids and/or other uses for DS, it is a great beginning program.

For olders (11&up, or at least 10&up), I LOVE Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Spanish.

For my own 8 yo, we've just begun Getting Started With Spanish & I am very impressed. It seems like a fabulous start for any age. However, a strength & weakness is that it has very limited vocab. . . Since dd8 also uses Rosetta Stone, it is a perfect complement -- as RS is very strong in vocab building, but weaker (at least the way we use it) in grammar, etc.

For littles who are just beginning, I also really like http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Children-Three-Audio-Third/dp/0071744843/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294885929&sr=8-1-catcorr

If you have a spanish speaker who can help, the above set has lots of great little game ideas.

HTH

I found the Discovery Education website, but couldn't access the spanish curr info. Do you have to buy the books and workbooks seperately? How does the program work?

I think there's a free 30 day trial or something on the website, but I don't know where that is. If you want to get the discounted rate of $149/yr for the basic package you have to go through the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op, which is http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org Then search for Discovery Education Streaming.

The Spanish curriculum is called Elementary Spanish. There are no books; it's a series of videos with printable teacher's guides that include worksheets and copymasters. Everything you need is free, once you pay for the subscription to DE Streaming. :)

The Spanish curriculum is called Elementary Spanish. There are no books; it's a series of videos with printable teacher's guides that include worksheets and copymasters. Everything you need is free, once you pay for the subscription to DE Streaming. :)

Is there a new class for every grade level? How much time would you spend on this a week? Thanks!

Is there a new class for every grade level? How much time would you spend on this a week? Thanks!

I think each level could be for 2 grades. The first level is for grades 1 and/or 2. There are around 100 lessons per level. The first level videos are about 20 minutes each. The additional activities should only take a few minutes, but we aren't going to do all of them because some are really just busy work at this level (color this puppet, etc.). So maybe an hour per week, then just remember to review all week by asking what color something is or what their name is or where they live, that sort of thing. :001_smile:

• 1 year later...