Menu

PLEASE help me choose a topic for my next paper!!!

So my new class started yesterday...Contemporary Theological Issues... and I have a paper due in 6 weeks. The prof gave us two areas to choose from: evangelical feminism or the emergent church. I can write a paper on anything that falls under one of those two topics. :blink:

Well, gee, could you narrow it down a bit? Sheesh.

So I have one week to pick my topic and my head is spinning. I could go in a thousand directions with these two topics. Please help me!

If you were going to read a paper on a topic in one of these two areas...what would most interest you?

Can you help me by defining "evangelical feminism," or would that be the point of your paper?

Well it is still early but so far I have this:

God freely calls believers to roles and ministries without regard to class, gender, or race.[1]

And by evangelical feminism he means “a movement that claims there are no unique leadership roles for men in marriage or in the church.†Leadership in both the home and the church is to be shared equally between men and women according to their gifts and desires.

In a nutshell...this means that women could be pastors if they wanted to.

Well it is still early but so far I have this:

God freely calls believers to roles and ministries without regard to class, gender, or race.[1]

And by evangelical feminism he means “a movement that claims there are no unique leadership roles for men in marriage or in the church.†Leadership in both the home and the church is to be shared equally between men and women according to their gifts and desires.

Thanks for clarifying. That seems like a topic about which you could at least reach some conclusion. The emergent church topic.... You could go a miilion different directions with that.

On the feminist topic, there is a wonderful book by John Stackhouse called Finally Feminist. SWB reviewed it favorably a while ago.

On the topic of emergent church, I found your comments in another thread compelling about the popularity of the charismatic church as opposed to more apologetic model in Asian culture. That could be an interesting paper.

What about throw your professor for a loop and write about the complete opposite of his evangelical feminism belief based on 1 Timothy, namely chapter 3.

I'd go with the evangelical feminism (my Mil is a Methodist pastor :D)

Perhaps compare three different theological stances of denominations? Catholic vs Methodist vs Southern Baptist (or something along those lines). Write why each has chosen what they have and the Biblical support behind it?

Now - help me with my paper on the Renaissance.:lol: That is the only guideline I have.... again - thanks for narrowing it down, prof.:tongue_smilie:

I'd go with the evangelical feminism (my Mil is a Methodist pastor :D)

Perhaps compare three different theological stances of denominations? Catholic vs Methodist vs Southern Baptist (or something along those lines). Write why each has chosen what they have and the Biblical support behind it?

Now - help me with my paper on the Renaissance.:lol: That is the only guideline I have.... again - thanks for narrowing it down, prof.:tongue_smilie:

the Renaissance? That's it? Well that will be a cinch! :svengo:

So of course I had to look up a few things and this sentence stood out to me: Some have called into question whether the Renaissance was a cultural "advance" from the Middle Ages, instead seeing it as a period of pessimism and nostalgia for the classical age.

Now a paper on THAT would be interesting to read (at least to me). :D

How much time do you have and how many words/pages?

If you have a few days to ponder and look up ideas, I'll bet you could pick something for the emergent church.

I know that for a paper in my graduate classes I have to have about a week per 10 pages to figure out a topic, research it, and write it. Used to be a lot more.

The hardest and most time consuming part is just figuring out what to write about!