Menu

Elementary Art

MyLittleBears

I don't use any curric. per say on art for our little classroom but I do try to include some articles about famous artists that I've found in the currclick teacher book bags. But most importantly we do perler beads and paint by number atleast once a week and I find this to be a huge success in allowing my children to have a creative outlet without boundaries and they seem to enjoy it. Friday's are the only day we pencil this in because I want to allow them all the time they need to create and also paint as much as they are able instead of having timeframes. The rest of the week we do implement some crafting in but it's been a challenge due to all the other lessons that need to be worked on through-out the week.

I'd suggest finding a crafting blog with ideas. Also consider purchasing some craft/art kits and start from there :) Get some ones that are fun and simple and maybe a couple that are still fun but challenging as well. The paint by number is challenging and fun for my dd7. However my dd5 would prefer to put a craft/art kit together.

I plan to include art more firmly next year for my to be 3rd grader as she shows many signs of drawing and painting as a talented interest. So I'm curious to see what others say here.

One of my favorite and easiest things for art is to use the What Your X Grader Needs to know series. We read a section at a time, look at the pics, and do any suggested activities. In 1st grade we made still lifes, made our self portraits, made a mural, did a collage, etc. Plus they learned some famous paintings and artists in the process. Sometimes I pick up books on the topics from the library to go along.

We love art here. I can't imagine leaving it out completely or leaving it only to co-op. But I understand that sometimes things get busy, and it is the first thing to get left out in a busy week usually. The way I have gotten around this is to schedule it in on Monday afternoons. No matter what, we are doing some kind of art. If I don't have a particular lesson planned, then it is a good time to get out an craft kit or clay or watercolors, and to read from WYXGNTK. hth

You can't go wrong with Discovering Great Artists by Marianne Kohl

http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Great-Artists-Hands-Children/dp/0935607099

or Global Art by Kohl as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Art-Activities-Projects-Inventions/dp/087659190X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294723975&sr=1-1-fkmr0

It looks like she even has a new one out with American artists. We loved using her books with our history and geography. Great books.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/index.html

We are doing the middle school/high school projects, but all levels look great.

After buying so many "how to" books at the book store, homeschool store and art store, these lessons have proven to be the most accessible for us.

We did lovely water color works yesterday in the style of Georgia O'Keeffe.

hth,

Robin