Menu

Are there any nonstick pans that do not present health hazards?

• 1 year later...

http://www.amazon.com/Starfrit-Eco-Chef-10-5-Bamboo-Handle/dp/B0019N4V8O

My mom bought the green pans, I will ask her but I think they are from HSN. I really do like them both. Unfortunately non stick is irrelevant to my cooking as I use butter and olive oil in abundance. I simply like the way food tastes when sauteed in high quality butter . If you can buy Irish butter called Kerrygold, it is sublime. If you have not baked with really high quality butter then you have been deprived of one of life's greatest joys. My mom bought Le Creuset and passed it on to me but with my disability I cannot lift the dadgum things. I gave them to my sis who can wield an ax with the best of them and she loves the enamel cookware! I wish she would smack her bf with one of them but that is a whole 'nother story:lol: but a good argument and usage for HEAVY cookware.

Unfortunately non stick is irrelevant to my cooking as I use butter and olive oil in abundance. I simply like the way food tastes when sauteed in high quality butter .

Thank you for this post. The whole thing, actually, not just this part. It made me smile. :)

I was going to recommend cast iron, but I see not. Those enamel things sure ARE heavy. I bought a small dutch oven (NOT enamel) and quit using it because I cook so many tomato based things that it wasn't working for me and was too small, but I don't think I'm strong enough to lift the giant ones.

I would also say that one can minimize what "requires" a non-stick pan, for example I can't cook eggs or pancakes in a pan other than non-stick/cast iron but I can boil pasta and steam vegetables and make soups. I know this isn't answering the question, but it might make it easier if you don't need a non-stick pan for as many things, you can at least reduce the cost of new pans.

Cooks Magazine just did a review of the "green" non-stick pans, and their response to the test results of *all* of the pans was, "Meh" at best and "Yuck" at worst, as far as the non-stickiness and the durability went.

I've just learned to cook a different way in the stainless steel, *except* I still can't do scrambled eggs without non-stick.

Yep. It's the scrambled eggs I want a pan for--just the scrambled eggs! Everything else, my cast iron works well for. We went on vacation and there was a nonstick pan there and I used it... now I want one, but not the possibility of toxic fumes.

Thank you for this post. The whole thing, actually, not just this part. It made me smile. :)

I was going to recommend cast iron, but I see not. Those enamel things sure ARE heavy. I bought a small dutch oven (NOT enamel) and quit using it because I cook so many tomato based things that it wasn't working for me and was too small, but I don't think I'm strong enough to lift the giant ones.

I would also say that one can minimize what "requires" a non-stick pan, for example I can't cook eggs or pancakes in a pan other than non-stick/cast iron but I can boil pasta and steam vegetables and make soups. I know this isn't answering the question, but it might make it easier if you don't need a non-stick pan for as many things, you can at least reduce the cost of new pans.

I actually only want it for scrambled eggs. My cast iron doesn't cut it !

Buy what you like and worry not it is at the higher temps that the fumes actually are created. I use a big crepe pan for scrambled eggs that is non stick by http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Commercial-Nonstick-10-Inch-International/dp/B00005AWCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1257469659&sr=1-1 Calphalon. I desire a large copper crepe pan but they are astronomical in price. A lady needs to have crepes AND eggs . These are heavy but not like the enamel type so you can move the pan with ease for crepes or scooting people out of the kitchen. It really is a multipurpose pan.