Menu

Living history books for Mom?

Any recommendations for well-written historical fiction books for Mom?

btw, I do love Bethlehem Books' Living History Library series as read-alouds for dc... any similar authors to Jeanne Bendick, Hilda Van Stockum and others for me?

I am a Jane Austen fan, to be sure. I like historical romance, but the "tame":001_smile: kind...

Well written is in the eye of the beholder :). I think these are well written!

Some favorite authors I've come across:

Irving Stone, my favorite historical fiction bios

Elswyth Thane's Williamsburg series

Gwen Bristow

Brock and Bodie Thoene

I want to read Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series (but haven't yet). They sound like what you may be looking for:

http://www.laurenwillig.com/books/index.html

ETA: The best historical fiction that I think I've read is "I, Claudius" by Robert Graves.

Lots of folks like Phillippa Gregory's books & Ken Follett's books. (I don't, but I know they are very popular authors.)

Edited by Stacia

I've really been getting into this genre in the past couple of years. My favorites are Lynn Austin who has a fantastic 3-book series of the Civil War (each book written from a different perspective: Northerner, Southerner, slave). Her Chronicles of the Kings series is excellent also. (Well, everything she's written is excellent--I've read them all!) I also love the books by Bodie Theone. Some of the titles on the websites are authored by her husband Brock Theone. They are OK, but I think the books they've written together have a richness that his don't have. I believe he's a university professor in history and she is a writer. They do fabulous work together.

I love historic fiction. Some of my favorites:

Irving Stone (biographical novels, the best one IMO is Agony and Ecstasy about Michelangelo)

Mary Stewart (Crystal Cave- Hollow Hills- Last Enchantment- Wicked day, about Merlin)

Robert Graves: I Claudius

Marion Zimmer Bradley: The Mists of Avalon

Alexandre Dumas: 3 Musketeers, The Chevalier of Maison Rouge

Victor Hugo: Notre Dame, Ninety-three

Mary Renault: The king must die, The last of the wine, numerous books in ancient Greece)

Robert L Stevenson: The black arrow, Kidnapped

Nice reads, but not my favorites: Philippa Gregory

Many people like him, but I don't because the bad guys are always so very and completely bad : Ken Follet (Pillars of the Earth)