Menu

Help me think through my TOG?

Kirstin

Let me prattle the details to you.

For one thing, I'm just doing too much. I seem to thrive on the stress of that. :D

So I'm doing a CC class on Wednesdays. But I wanted to keep CC to just that one day and do TOG the rest of the week. I guess I just stubbornly don't want to give up on TOG. LOL. I know ultimately I'm going to need to pick one. UGh.

Can TOG even be done in 4 days? And 2ndly, what if I wanted to do Science on say Mon/Thursday and History on Tues./Fri. Have I basically just whittled away a practical schedule for TOG? From what I've read it's pretty much a "hit it daily" system because of everything else it includes. Right?

And for that matter....My Apologia Science with the notebook and all that is kind of a 4 day schedule too. I was just trying to lighten everything we try to get done in one day because I have to work every evening.

I guess I just needed to think outloud and bounce my brain off of you fine ladies.

Edited by Kirstin

Let me prattle the details to you.

For one thing, I'm just doing too much. I seem to thrive on the stress of that. :D

So I'm doing a CC class on Wednesdays. But I wanted to keep CC to just that one day and do TOG the rest of the week. I guess I just stubbornly don't want to give up on TOG. LOL. I know ultimately I'm going to need to pick one. UGh.

Can TOG even be done in 4 days? And 2ndly, what if I wanted to do Science on say Mon/Thursday and History on Tues./Fri. Have I basically just whittled away a practical schedule for TOG? From what I've read it's pretty much a "hit it daily" system because of everything else it includes. Right?

And for that matter....My Apologia Science with the notebook and all that is kind of a 4 day schedule too. I was just trying to lighten everything we try to get done in one day because I have to work every evening.

I guess I just needed to think outloud and bounce my brain off of you fine ladies.

Doing Apologia in 2 days is no problem. Just combine 2 days in 1. It should be about 40m-1hour.

I have 4 grammar stage children: 5th, 3rd, 2nd, K

Yes, you can plan 2 days of TOG, so long as you expect to get in what you're looking for in a longer period of time and let your 10year old do some independent work on the opposite days. I actually just started this kind of schedule this week and it's working out very well. I would suggest, though that you do something on a 3rd day. How long is your CC day? Could you do something from TOG, say vocabulary review, or a literature read aloud on that day? That would make a difference for me. Expect to spend an hour or so to get it in.

My suggestion is:

Mon.: 10 year old reads in-depth, literature for UG, or own core independently

Tues.: Read aloud core (I don't like to combine the cores for UG/LG b/c I find the LG cores are more exciting than what is generally suggested for UG)

vocabulary as a group - have UG look up words independently using dictionary (or provide the list from the Loom)

Wed. read literature aloud, lit. w.s. if you have time

Thurs. 10 year old completes lit. w.s. or outlines from encyclopedia/core book

Friday

complete lit. worksheet (if not done earlier) or design a wordsearch or crossword for vocab.

Activities (you may have to plan ahead at times b/c some projects take 2 days. Be sure to chat about the core during activity time

Narration of the week that will be great b/c of the project and discussion that followed the readings. Discuss Map

The bonus for me, in getting to All of TOG is spreading out TOG weeks. Since I have students in R and D, we follow a 3week rotation whereby we accomplish 2-TOG weeks in 3-calendar weeks. This makes the 3-day, grammar stage history rotation a piece of cake we get to do plenty of work, enjoy activities, and learn it all in depth. Look in my siggy for HomeSchoolLaunch. Go there are open the Week 28-30 schedule. You can see how I spread out 3 TOG weeks into 12 days of study for the lower grammar students. You will see plenty of places where you can reduce the amount of work to better assist your situation.

Life will eventually get to you and you will pick. I can give up all sorts of things now that I couldn't when the kids were younger and I had more time. :D

Yes and no. I only hs 4 days a week, but I also don't mind carrying work over to the next week if needed. It will mean you won't be on a 4 year history cycle, but if you are willing to let that go then it will work. If you are looking to stick to the 4 year cycle then the only way you will make this work is by cutting. You have to drop In-depth, and pick and choose what you use outside of the basic history material. Also consider holding your kids in a lower level longer because it will be easier for them to get done.

Somtimes talking to other people takes you in directions you haven't through of. I hope you find a solutions that works and isn't stressful.

Heather

With your oldest being nine, I definitely would make my life as uncomplicated as possible... Because you have years coming when you're going to HAVE to juggle. I sure wouldn't bring it on myself before it's mandated. :D

I'd pick one. Which gives you more VALUE - contributes more to your overall wellness as a family?

From what I understood about CC, it's a full schedule during the week, not just the day you attend class, right? Meaning, you have homework and work that you're expected to get done throughout the week. I don't see how you could be doing that AND TOG, but maybe I'm mistaken about CC. I haven't looked into it that much.

The beauty of TOG is that you can do as little or as much as you want with it! I would encourage you while your kids are so young to make history as fun as possible! Cuddle up and read LOTS of history/literature books (even if you don't get the worksheets done) and choose a fun project or two and do those. There is time for worksheets and evaluations when you get to the dialectic stage.

Apologia is easily adaptable. I would focus on the reading, and then pick those activities that are meaning for you and your child. I require that my 8 yob answer the comprehension questions and do the minibooks. I also require him to do the "fascinating facts" in his notebook. If he gets around to the crosswords, great, but for the most part we skip those. We are able to comfortably cover a chapter a week over three study times.

TOG....I modified TOG for my 8 yob so that we could take an easier pace. I took the TOG schedule, fit SOTW into it as my spine, and then scheduled in the good book recommendations from SOTW & TOG in. At our house, this looks like:

M: SOTW readings & narration

T: map & encyclopedia work for 8 yob, read alouds for others

W: assigned reading for 8yob, read alouds for others

R:

F: projects (fun games, making food, hands on stuff)

Thank you so much! I'm sorry I didn't get back to this in a very timely way. I have been busy and away from the computer. But THANK YOU. This is a great thread and was very practical help. I'm that ENFP intuitive who makes things that COULD be simple more complicated than they have to be. LOL LOL!

As for CC.... CC is whatever you want to make of it. If you want to carry it on through the rest of the week, there is plenty to do to accomplish that. OR if you just want to show up on class day...get the community, drill, peer involvement and hands on stuff out of it....then you can. We chose the latter because of our family life being a bit off track with Cancer and other challenging issues going on. Things have balanced out now and I'm ready to try to tackle TOG. Our CC day will last til 1 p.m. next year. I will probably still go next year because the boys really love it. But I think I'll continue wanting to carve out a TOG path for us with the rest of the week. I'm good at changing my mind though and I have through the spring to decide. I'll practice doing that this spring and see how it goes.

I love all the suggestions presented. Thanks so much!