Menu

Buying books for TOG

plain jane

But now I want to know what you are going to do. ;)

(No you don't really need to explain, I am just giving you a bad time.) :D

Heather

:lol:

I was just going to ask you fine TOG using ladies how on earth you choose which books to buy. I definitely need LG books and then a good mix of UG/D books because my oldest will be in the middle of both (though I'm hoping she'll be able to handle D more often than not).

If I ask the store to show me all the primary books for these three levels the list is :svengo:. I'd like to buy most but know I can't do all and darn it, they sound so good!

I'll just need to go through it with a fine-tooth comb and suck it up that I simply won't own all those :drool5: books. :lol:

I'm hoping the fun is in the choosing. :001_huh::lol:

:lol:

I was just going to ask you fine TOG using ladies how on earth you choose which books to buy. I definitely need LG books and then a good mix of UG/D books because my oldest will be in the middle of both (though I'm hoping she'll be able to handle D more often than not).

If I ask the store to show me all the primary books for these three levels the list is :svengo:. I'd like to buy most but know I can't do all and darn it, they sound so good!

I'll just need to go through it with a fine-tooth comb and suck it up that I simply won't own all those :drool5: books. :lol:

I'm hoping the fun is in the choosing. :001_huh::lol:

Yes that is the hard thing.

With year 4 what I did was go in and look up the spine texts on Amazon. I ordered a few of the spines to see what they were like (generally used, often older editions). I ended up liking one specific book (not used anymore, so I won't post which one). Once I had a spine, so the bare bones of history would be covered I just systematically looked at the rest, in relation to the reading I already had that week (amazon has how many pages are in the book) and if I felt it was a not to miss topic.

Practically I ended up using the spine as a RA for all, then I found one series in the UG books I didn't mind and I bought those for my oldest to read. I bought all the LG/UG literature recommendations and all the UG level World view. Then because my oldest reads a lot I went through and picked and chose D level literature and UG level in-depth to fill in with here and there when the weeks were light.

It is harder when there isn't a clear spine. Then I try to find a couple of the history text used the longest and order those as a sample. In year 1 the D level doesn't have a clear spine, but it wasn't too expensive to order up a couple of the other text.

Once I have chose my books I make a booklist on Amazon and when I add it I put the week used, level and if it is history, literature, etc... then I keep tabs up for Half, Paperbackswap and BookMooch and as I add them to my wishlist on Amazon, I also add them to the other three. I just keep notes on my TOG pages telling me if I own it, it is ordered or if I need it. That way if I miss deleting a book I ordered from one of them, I don't order it twice, because I always get out my TOG book pages to go through first.

Heather

I check my library (which is extensive with many branches) and then buy the rest, unless I have a similar book to substitute (which usually happens with the biographies). My library generally has 50-75% of the books.

I do this too. If my library doesn't have it, then I get it from my Inter-Library loan. I usually check my books several weeks in advance. I only buy a book, if it sounds amazing and I don't want to miss it no matter what. If we end up really loving a book after the fact, I buy it then. So I purchase very few books.

I would definately recommend taking your assignment pages and sitting down with it before you buy anything. Then you can inventory what you own, what your library has, what you can substitute, and what you want/need to buy. :) I then use code on my pages so I know which applies to which books.

What is the paperbookswap I hear about? :oops:

Paperbackswap and BookMooch a are both free services. You set up an account, list the books you would like to get rid off, and when someone orders a book from you mail it to them and then you get a credit to spend on ordering a book from someone else. You pay only the postage to get it there.

The more postage goes up the less it is worth the work. I used to find a ton of books, now with the slow down of the economy I still find books, but not like I used to. It is enough to keep going with it through.

Heather