Menu

CLE 200, so easy?

melmichigan

My DD's did CLE 100-110. I gave them the LU test for 201 and both were above 95% so we skipped LU 201. 202 seems so easy and repetitive. For example, they were doing 3 number addition and subtraction with carrying and borrowing, but now they are learning how to add by two on the number line? Should we be skipping further ahead in this level? They are looking at me like I'm crazy. :) Much of the information labeled "new" is review.

I didn't use CLE 100, but I have used CLE 200 with my ds. He is almost through with it.

CLE does move slowly and includes lots of review because it is a spiral approach, but I think it is grade appropriate. Have you looked ahead and all you will be covering? There is a scope and sequence in the back of the teacher's edition. It could be that your children would do well with a mastery type program that includes less review.

You could always skip some of the review if you feel your children don't need those concepts. These are written for their Mennonite schools. Perhaps they include more review at the beginning of the year for new students coming into the program.

I'm sure adding 2 on the number line is to reinforce skip counting for the multiplication they will be taught later in this grade level, though.

It was repetitive to us also. We just crossed out some of the work but I didn't skip any lesson until 207 . I think it really made the concept "sink" into my son. It wasn't enough if he knew how to do it , he had to practice so he can master everything. That's the whole concept of spiral/incremental approach .

In 100 they introduce too much , too soon IMO. CLE 200 is more developmentally appropriate , maybe just a little above some math curriculums. By crossing some of the lesson you have time to supplement with another math (we did /still do singapore and beestar) and it is beneficial to expose them to a different approach to math.

I however skipped 207-210 because I gave my son 300 placement and he scored 95. We did go through the new concepts in these lessons and the tests though. He is doing great with 300 and it is challenging enough for him .

We started Dot with LU 101 for her kindergarten year. It wasn't until 107 that she hit anything she didn't already know. She was well into the 200 level before she hit anything that challenged her, but the material is very advanced for 2nd grade, much of it actually corresponds with the VA Standards of Learning for 3rd grade.

Anyway, what we did was just skip anything that was obvious review. Once I knew she knew it, we skipped that part of the review. If she showed she needed the review, then we did it.

They use what I call the "Mary Poppins" approach - small, sweet bites that all of a sudden have them doing fairly advanced skills.