Menu

I've thrown myself at Mt. Laundry, I've reached the peak! Play theme music from Rocky

Everyone has fresh, clean sheets. All unmatched socks have been disposed of and ds almost 14 - the mouth - not because of back-talk but because he is eating us into the poorhouse - has new socks, new underwear, and new t-shirts. Everyone else has a reasonable amount of such garments and have been threatened that there will be no more matching...you receive a heap of your stuff on laundry day and must figure it out for yourself.

Now, who here thinks that it is a sign of poor mental health, that I seriously considered making them all wear the same clothes for a week (just changing undergarments) so that no new pile of laundry would appear???

Don't ask me what ds got down the front of his grey thermal shirt. I'm pretty certain that he filled the ducks' wading pool with motor oil and rolled in it! I'm pretty close to tossing it in the garbage because I've poured so many chemicals on the shirt that I'm pretty certain it's now a toxic waste dump.

Oh, and if anyone knows of a good recipe for making homemade dryer sheets, please post!

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
spelling

First off, thanks for putting that song into my head. :tongue_smilie: Second, no, I don't think you have lost your mind for considering only 1 set of clothes for a week. I myself have thought the same thing. You are much more generous than me though, I don't know that I would have given them clean undergarments on a daily basis. :lol:

Congrats on tackling the mountain! May we all be so inspired! (but not today)

Don't feel too badly about the mountain of laundry. It's amazing how quickly it grows. I wonder about those pilgrim and pioneer women, doing laundry for a family of 10 once a week... Wow. That must have been some ripe laundry.

Anyway, years ago I helped out a woman who taught Kindergarten full-time, had three small children, and her husband had his own business (long hours, little money). One day she asked me, in tears, "Um, I need help with the laundry. It's gotten out of control, I think." We went into the basement, and... it was FULL of clothes. From floor to nearly the ceiling, the entire basement was full of clothes. She was BUYING clothes for everyone, because she found it easier to shop than to wash. And then she was overwhelmed with it.

I said this, "This is not a problem. Not a problem. Do you have any trash bags?" And I put all that laundry into SIXTEEN HUGE green trash bags and hauled it all (two vans) to the laundromat. It took us about FIVE HOURS to wash, dry, fold, stack and repack it all.

Then we took it home, sorted through it, put some in boxes and put the rest AWAY. She wrote out the biggest check as a thank you! She said she'd hire me again, it was better than buying new clothes. ;)

Best of luck! :grouphug:

First off, thanks for putting that song into my head. Second, no, I don't think you have lost your mind for considering only 1 set of clothes for a week. I myself have thought the same thing. You are much more generous than me though, I don't know that I would have given them clean undergarments on a daily basis.

Congrats on tackling the mountain! May we all be so inspired! (but not today)

You've inspired me! And, I have no problem with making kids wear outer garments again another day if they have not been outside and if the clothes are relatively clean, kwim? Anyway --:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Don't feel too badly about the mountain of laundry. It's amazing how quickly it grows. I wonder about those pilgrim and pioneer women, doing laundry for a family of 10 once a week... Wow. That must have been some ripe laundry.

Anyway, years ago I helped out a woman who taught Kindergarten full-time, had three small children, and her husband had his own business (long hours, little money). One day she asked me, in tears, "Um, I need help with the laundry. It's gotten out of control, I think." We went into the basement, and... it was FULL of clothes. From floor to nearly the ceiling, the entire basement was full of clothes. She was BUYING clothes for everyone, because she found it easier to shop than to wash. And then she was overwhelmed with it.

I said this, "This is not a problem. Not a problem. Do you have any trash bags?" And I put all that laundry into SIXTEEN HUGE green trash bags and hauled it all (two vans) to the laundromat. It took us about FIVE HOURS to wash, dry, fold, stack and repack it all.

Then we took it home, sorted through it, put some in boxes and put the rest AWAY. She wrote out the biggest check as a thank you! She said she'd hire me again, it was better than buying new clothes.

Best of luck!

In red: I love this! It is kind of what I do here when things get out of hand, except that the laundromat has a woman named Magda who will wash, dry and fold and you pick up everything all nicey-nice and clean. So, I do avail myself of Magda's services when things just get so piled up around here that I need it done in warp speed. I bring Magda the clothes and I do the towels myself b/c they weigh too much.

My funny laundry story is this: I have a friend who has four daughters (10-15 y/o) -- her dh had been in Europe on business and the friend, 'C' who has lived here her entire life and has hundreds of friends, spent her days running here and there for coffee and lunch, etc while her dh was away. Anyway, her dh was due home and there were piles of dirty clothes everywhere (her girls wear uniforms to school) -- so she put everything in black plastic trash bags and brought everything to Magda -- it weighed 180 lbs :w00t:!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by MariannNOVA

180 LB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Mariann, you are my hero for posting this. Because I was feeling bad about having nine loads of laundry built up and now I feel like a hero for not letting it get worse!

180 lbs. More than my weight in laundry. There is no amount of chocolate, cheese, or wine that could possibly help anyone tackle that. That's just a catastrophe of epic magnitude!

Faith

This has been a pet peeve of mine recently since we have a laundry shoot. I finally could see the floor last week, got it all mopped nice and spiffy and vowed it would stay that way, I'd sort the clothes as they came out of the shoot. Someone :glare: opened the entire thing onto my basement floor yesterday. I'm tempted to just take it all back upstairs and put it back in the shoot. :) I don't think I will ever be caught up....

Congratulations on your accomplishment! I imagine it feels so nice. I wish we had a Magda.

Edited by melmichigan

180 LB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Mariann, you are my hero for posting this. Because I was feeling bad about having nine loads of laundry built up and now I feel like a hero for not letting it get worse!

180 lbs. More than my weight in laundry. There is no amount of chocolate, cheese, or wine that could possibly help anyone tackle that. That's just a catastrophe of epic magnitude!

Faith

:lol:

I teased her and told her that her DH may have been in Europe, but she had replaced him in the States with dirty laundry that weighed as much as he did! :lol:

It IS by far, my favorite laundry story!!!!!!!! And, I do tell her that thankfully, she has set the bar REALLY HIGH for the rest of us.;) To say nothing of the fact that

at .17/lb X 180 lbs = $:w00t::w00t:.:w00t::w00t: plus a tip for Magda, well, that's alot of Starbucks!;)