Menu

My ds is so sad about not being able to continue going to Moody Bible Institute due .

Merry

to not having enough money. He had no job all last fall and by the time he finally found one with Starbucks, it was too late for him to be able to afford the school. He is up there now trying to figure out what to do next. He will probably come back home and go to night school for a while. We are worried that he will become discouraged and not keep trying to do his best in whatever he wants to do. We'll see.

I'm sorry to hear that. Is working for a semester or two and saving up to return an option? I've thought my son might have to go that route later on. He's only a senior so we don't know where he's going or what the scholarship picture is, but loans are not an option for us.

I don't know if getting 're-accepted' at Moody after taking time off to work would be an issue for your son, though.

Hugs,

Debbie

I'm not sure. My ds is thinking of taking some correspondence courses this spring so maybe that would mean he is still "registered" at Moody so that he can go back on campus later. In the meantime he will miss out on getting to know his classmates and dormmates that he had met last fall but oh, well.

can your ds ask Moody about financial aid? Can he go in and talk to the registrar about deferred enrollment due to finances, and create a plan with them to come home, work, and take some online/distance courses?

I cannot believe that if he goes in to talk with them and lays his cards on the table, they would then refuse to readmit him when he is able to afford to come back. Our kids often see things in the bleakest possible light and don't understand the value of forthrightness and advocating for themselves. Sigh! They are not the first people to have minor setbacks!

Best wishes for him, and for you as you counsel him.

Moody has the policy that the student can defer the payments for one semester but then from that point on, the student must be prepared to pay in full for the following school years until they finish school. Moody pays the tuition for all the students but the students must come up with the money to pay for the room and board themselves. The room and board cost about six thousand dollars each semester. Moody doesn't accept federal money. Moody expects the students to work no more than 20 hours a week and then the student must come up with the rest of the money from friends and family and also work every summer.

First of all, in most cases, you can't really know before applying whether a school is unaffordable. There are some cases, one Christian college I know of gives very limited aid and then federal aid so if you can't make it on that, too bad. But I don't know that all of them do. Some may have institutional aid to go along with federal aid.

He can either take some classes online from home this spring and summer while working to earn college money and then return to Moody in the fall. He should be able to graduate on time if all goes well and if he can find a good part time job there. Or he can go to the local night school based on a private college campus and earn a postsecondary teaching certificate for a bivocational ministry and go to a seminary later on. He'll be coming back home in a few days after packing up in Chicago and then he'll see where he goes from here. He seems to be in pretty good spirits so I'm grateful for that. And it'll be good to have him home for a few months. Carol, the closest Concordia University is about two hours away in St. Louis and it's a seminary. But thanks, anyway. Chris, we did check out several other Bible colleges and they're all just don't offer enough aid. We cannot help him ourselves so he has to come up with all the money himself.

He can either take some classes online from home this spring and summer while working to earn college money and then return to Moody in the fall. He should be able to graduate on time if all goes well and if he can find a good part time job there. Or he can go to the local night school based on a private college campus and earn a postsecondary teaching certificate for a bivocational ministry and go to a seminary later on. He'll be coming back home in a few days after packing up in Chicago and then he'll see where he goes from here. He seems to be in pretty good spirits so I'm grateful for that. And it'll be good to have him home for a few months. Carol, the closest Concordia University is about two hours away in St. Louis and it's a seminary. But thanks, anyway. Chris, we did check out several other Bible colleges and they're all just don't offer enough aid. We cannot help him ourselves so he has to come up with all the money himself.

Isn't Moody in Chicago? There is a Concordia there--Concordia River Forest. They have a degree program in Theological Languages.

If he attends Henderson State University in Arkansas he can take biblical language classes for free at Ouachita Baptist University across the street. Henderson uses federal money for BEOG, etc. The deal is he has to take as many hours at Henderson as he is taking at Ouachita. The classes aren't really for free but are in exchange for his hours at Henderson.

it does look very good indeed. I think it's too late to apply for any scholarships for the spring though but I'll encourage my ds to look into it. We are not Lutherans but I'm sure it doesn't matter where Biblical languages are concerned. Thanks!

it does look very good indeed. I think it's too late to apply for any scholarships for the spring though but I'll encourage my ds to look into it. We are not Lutherans but I'm sure it doesn't matter where Biblical languages are concerned. Thanks!

I don't know what the proportions are at that Concordia, but out here at the one in Irvine, CA, only about 30% of the students are Lutheran.