Menu

What do I need to start running?

I'm very interested in starting the couch to 5k. I'm not a runner. Not really ever been a serious exerciser other than really enjoying the Wii Fitness Coach. I don't need to lose weight, so I'm doing it just because I've been interested in it for years and I need some exercise.

So, what do I absolutely need to get started? Ive decided to use one of the iPhone apps. What kind of shoes would be good for a starter? Nothing to elaborate but good. I'm guessing the Converse shoes I have wouldn't be good. ;) Anything else?

Thanks!

Good shoes. If possible, go to a running specific store and have them help you pick out a pair of shoes. Not a chain, if at all possible, but a store where people actually know what they're doing.

That's really it. There are lots of fun things that I think I need (cute clothes, my Garmin watch, good music), but shoes are really the only necessity.

I bought good - meaning expensive - running shoes at the running store when I started running outside more time. I had been running on the treadmill for many years, but this was different. I was wearing like $40.00 ones and they hurt - feet, knees, hip, etc. The expensive ones are better.

I love my Jog Tracker app on my droid - you can go online and watch your progress...my hubby just started running with me last week and was inspired by this as well!!

Good luck!

I'm very interested in starting the couch to 5k. I'm not a runner. Not really ever been a serious exerciser other than really enjoying the Wii Fitness Coach. I don't need to lose weight, so I'm doing it just because I've been interested in it for years and I need some exercise.

So, what do I absolutely need to get started? Ive decided to use one of the iPhone apps. What kind of shoes would be good for a starter? Nothing to elaborate but good. I'm guessing the Converse shoes I have wouldn't be good. ;) Anything else?

Thanks!

I cannot stress enough the importance of good shoes. I started couch to 5k in old sneakers and ended up injured for 6 weeks! Go to a running store and tell them you're just starting out so you don't want to invest too much and they will help you! And then you won't get hurt!

I get my sports bras at Target but I have small booKs. Some ladies need a more supportive (read: expensive) booKshelf.

Have fun... take it low (feet low to the ground) and slow (like a turtle), and enjoy yourself! I've been running for a little over 2 years now and I am way beyond hooked! :)

Good shoes (not necessarily expensive shoes, just good ones). I agree with going to a running store and talking to them!

Good sports bra - I've got giant booKs for my frame and I basically wear one made of cast iron and elastic :D.

That's about it. The rest is gravy - music, iPods, apps, counters, etc. It's all fun, but you really just want to get out there and let your feet hit the pavement - don't let not having the extras stop you from it!

That's about it. The rest is gravy - music, iPods, apps, counters, etc. It's all fun, but you really just want to get out there and let your feet hit the pavement - don't let not having the extras stop you from it!

:iagree:

I've got all the gizmos now - well most of them anyway. LOL And some days I just get out there without all of that stuff and get back to the REAL running and it's awesome!

1) Shoes (Road Runner is a good place to start, even if you eventually buy locally).

2) Sports bra

3) Comfortable shorts--This is a biggie to me! I don't like mine to creep so I prefer compression shorts w/6"+ legs.

4) A log--just a calender that you can write down what you did, how far/fast, how you felt, etc.

Looking at Runner's World can either be inspiring or intimidating. They have regular newbie columns & the newest one has an article about folks from "Biggest Loser."

Gravy helps....I run just so I can wear really CUTE workout outfits.

http://skirtsports.com

They are expensive but dh recently bought me a whole bunch from "secret" sources at a heavily discounted prices. He said he got tired of me wearing the same outfit everyday.

1. The RIGHT shoe above ALL else.

2. BooK support.

3. Good socks.

My extras that I cannot do without:

1. Music - I would abandon running without music.

2. Cute clothes