Menu

Favorite Nature Studies

OregonNative

Let me preface this by saying, I am not a nature girl:tongue_smilie: However, I think it is an important aspect for my childrens education.

What would recommend? I would like it to involve the outdoors, but not strictly. I prefer not to have to identify trees, plants etc. because that is way beyond my scope of intelligence:lol:

Let me preface this by saying, I am not a nature girl:tongue_smilie: However, I think it is an important aspect for my childrens education.

What would recommend? I would like it to involve the outdoors, but not strictly. I prefer not to have to identify trees, plants etc. because that is way beyond my scope of intelligence:lol:

I just started using Nature All Year Long by Clare Walker Leslie. It is organized by the months, and since this is the first month of the year, it is a perfect time to start.

I am also using the book Squirrels by Brian Goldsmith [and a very old (1946) Grey Squirrel which is part of the Encyclopedia Britannica Picture Stories Series] now because we have a lot of squirrels in our apartment complex.

Go somewhere like to a wooded walking trail, a lake, a pond, a state park, public gardens, somewhere kind of quiet and peaceful with a lot of nature.

Have the kids bring magnifying glasses and binoculars, sketchpads and colored pencils.

Ask them to listen for different sounds and note what they hear.

Ask them to look for several different kinds of plants or trees and sketch them.

Ask them to find different types of rocks.

Ask them to see if they can find any animals, birds, insects, and observe what they are doing.

While they're at it, note the temperature, the precipitation, the wind, etc.

See if they can find any different 'habitats'- nests, hollowed out trees, under a rock, somewhere they can find things living.

You can take photographs of some of these things for sketching from later if you/they don't want to sketch while you're there- you can also use those photographs for trying to identify online or from a library book what some of those plants/animals/trees were.

If you find certain animals or trees or are in a certain type of environment, you can get library books about those animals/trees/environments to learn more about them.

You can do various hands on activities like having the kids form some of the birds and animals they saw out of clay (letting it harden and painting it), letting them make a diorama of the place you visited, or like my daughter and I recently made and try tea by using White Pine needles... just different, fun things like that.

I looked up Nature All Year Long and it looks great, but its focused on the New England area. Perhaps someone could recommend one that is more focused on the south...specifically Oklahoma, Kansas area?

Sorry, not trying to hijack thread. :D

Rachel--

Guess what? I live in Texas :lol:! Yes, Nature All Year Long does focus on New England, and it's not quite like that here in Texas, but the basic information is the same. For instance, this month she introduces the concept of hibernation, animals that migrate, the frost line, and animal tracks. While the animals may not be the same here in Texas, the basic ideas are the same. I also supplement with Texas focused books by Ilo Hiller.

I couldn't find Nature All Year Long at my library, but I remember a few years ago my friend had a book that had an outdoor/science thing to do for each day. It was geared at K-3. Does anyone know what that book might be? It had seasonal stuff like find some animal tracks in the snow, plant a flower etc..3

I just started using Nature All Year Long by Clare Walker Leslie. It is organized by the months, and since this is the first month of the year, it is a perfect time to start.

Thanks for mentioning this. I just got it from my library. My son has been taking an earth school class and has a newfound interest in nature study, and I would like to encourage him. I'm another "indoor girl" :lol: so I need all the help I can get. :D