Menu

Healthy, Easy, Frugal Snacks??

To fit all 3 categories I do veggies or fruit with peanut butter and raisins. The PB fills them up, the fruit/veggies are healthy, and my kids love raisins so it all gets eaten. If you cut up the veggies/fruit ahead of time it's a quick snack the kids can do themselves.

I also do cheese and crackers with slices of fruit/veggies but I guess that's debatable if that falls into the healthy category with the dairy/grains.

Thanks ladies...we do a lot of apples, peanut butter and cheese...

Maybe my question should be how to BROADEN my children's tastebuds so they will eat different fruits?!? (though I have one girl who is a great eater!!)

I do carrot and broccoli with ranch dip, too...

No one in our house likes hummus. :tongue_smilie:sorry. :)

Do you all pull these same options out daily and will the kids go for them daily??

thanks!!

Realize that hummus is very subjective....we love it here....but only certain brands or our own homemade. There are some restaurants that we've learned to avoid it because it's absolutely gross...and some commerically available that it's not good either. So...if you've only tried it once, maybe consider trying another brand? Maybe you know friends who like it that could recommend (or let you taste) their brand?

Broadening a child's fruit and veggie world could ONLY be a positive thing! Don't be afraid to ask about different ones at your local market (or better yet, have the children ask, makes for a great conversation!) Maybe some of the big name groceries aren't the best place (but try, who knows) but most farmer's markets are run by people who love their product and take great pride in their fruit/veggies. Some to try that aren't super common, but also are things readily available: kiwi, guava, papaya, mango for fruits. For veggies try jicama (deep fried it's an alternative to french fries or raw it's great for dips). Instead of baked potato, next time try baking sweet potatoes...peel and mash like baked potato but then sprinkle a little cinnamon.

Ok...there are lots more that I could say on my favorite subject, but you get the idea. Most places fruit and veggies are reasonably priced (ok, maybe not in the snow areas right now...but in spring?)....so if you try something and honestly don't like, it's not a huge expense. But do remember that many children must try something several times before they like it.

Great thread! I need a reminder.

Some other ideas:

sliced cheese (purchased on sale or clearance ;)) melted onto whole wheat bread, rolls or english muffins (I get these cheap at the "bread store" , a Mrs. Baird's outlet) and I buy cheese on clearance at Randalls (the grocery store that has the best dairy mark downs)

tahini mixed with real maple syrup, apples (not cheap, but filling, healthy and goes a long way)

hard boiled or deviled eggs

baked sweet potatoes

pizza, using whole wheat pita or tortillas as the crust

When I have time, I make homemade granola and/or granola bars. They still have a fair amount of sugar, but less than what you buy at the store.

My sister gave us a big thing of fruit for Christmas, which we asked for (she did the same last year). Our favorite thing is really good pears. There is one called Comice? that was really good.

We also do lots of carrots, celery, etc. We try to buy organic and on sale. In the spring/summer and fall we buy as much fruit and veg as possible from farmers markets. You can buy and freeze the fruit and then use it in muffins/pancakes all year long.